UnderGround Forums

Africa UnderGround >> news on African comps

3/1/05 3:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nathan raaths
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Mar-05

sorry if i posted this twice (not sure) I coach for Rodney King under the Street Tough group and i must say i share the frustration that many of our fellow african MMA lovers feel about the lack of organisation and competion.(no lack of talent) We have been trying so long now to get BJJ registered as an official sport so that we can start having national accredited tournaments.We are not getting anywere ,they keep putting us in the same block as judo ect wich means we have to fight to there rulz. My patience is thin,but my love for the sport is thriving.Over the last year i have made close contact to most of the schools in the country that teach grappling accredited or not.We cant wait for the goverment to get there shit together, we gonna start having national tournaments, we have 16 schools alone that will attend and well many many others that i am in contact with now. I intend to throw the first national open grappling tournament in August In a staduim in Randburg (johanessburg) We also have junior divisions and girls,i really dont now what to expect or how big it will be but we have to start somewere accredited or not. Who knows by there third tournament we cold force them to sit up and take notice.I hope to find support in my venture,please contact me if you are intrested in attending. I will get nothing but pure satisfaction out of doing this so i hope we can all look past uninportant issues that divide our communities. i will keep you updated and tell you the exact date and a list of schools that will be attending so you now its legit keep training guys the comps are coming Yours in sport Nathan Raaths (head coach)Benoni and Lyndhurst
3/3/05 12:03 AM
bruceklette
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Mar-05
Nathan, I used to train at ST, probably before you started since their was no Benoni group at that time. How are things with the gym ?. Are there any fights lined up in the near future ?. Cheers Bruce
3/4/05 12:23 AM
GrappleMania

Edited: 04-Mar-05
Hello Nathan My name is Brad Pearce. I live in USA and i put on the Grapplemania Grappling Circuit. My tournaments feature gi and no gi. This year i plan to do them all over the USA, and i would like to expand to other countries. Would it be possible you think for someone like myself to come in and organize and run a tournament in Africa, Maybe in a big city like Johanessburg. You mentioned there are quite a few Grappling schools thruout the country. My goal in putting these tournaments on is to take Grapplemania to places where grappling tournaments are very uncommon and not as often as other places. I want to give everyone the chance to compete in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Grappling events. I myself am a purple belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Gustavo Machado who in return is a Gracie Barra Black Belt. I have trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for close to 7 years, it has become a passion for me and i love the art of grappling and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Please let me know if there is anything i could help with on your endevor of organizing a tournament. Thanks alot. Please feel free to email me, anytime. Good Luck! Brad grapplemania@aol.com http://www.grapplemaniausa.com
3/5/05 12:46 PM
nathan raaths

Edited: 05-Mar-05
Things are going very well ,there are a few fights coming up i will post the details , Grapplemania i liked what you had to say there are allot of grapllers out here but no competitions, i will contact you shortly maybe we can work together on this thanks for the response
3/6/05 1:54 AM
GrappleMania

Edited: 06-Mar-05
Cool Nathan Look forward to hearing from you!! Grapplemania@aol.com
4/14/05 5:24 AM
nathan raaths

Edited: 14-Apr-05
We had the first warm up Tournament on saterday it went very well ,there were guys from Rodney king,Jose matta , Mark robinson ect The vibe was good and the standard suprisingly high we are going to continue to have it every 8 weeks in the same staduim in johannesburg and already we have the numbers growing let me now if there are any other clubs you know of that wish to enter or if you just want details to come watch ,submission wrestling will win this battle --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6/17/05 6:32 AM
Opash

Edited: 17-Jun-05
The problem with RSA is that there is a considerable distance between the major cities - with not a great deal in-between. Maybe a good idea would to be to organise regular tournaments in Jo'berg, Cape Town, Durban, Pretoria (say 3/4 times a year). With a single national event every year (in a different city every time). Of course organising things in Africa (in my experience) is easier said than done.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.