UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Jing Wu

3/1/05 11:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ResuTudo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Mar-05

I remember reading about a RINGS fighter Evert Fyeet, who represented a gym in Holland called Jing Wu. Is this gym related to the infamous Jing Wu/ Ching Moo school of Shanghai that was the basis of Bruce Lee's The Big Boss and Jet Li;s Fist of legend? If so, is it true that this was one of the earliest Gong-fu schools that crosstrained with western martial arts? Can anyone substantiate the story of Hou Yuen Jia fighting a German wrestler in 1908?
3/3/05 12:29 AM
RapidAssault

Edited: 03-Mar-05
There are a lot of CMA schools that use the name Jing Wu/Ging Wu/Chin Woo/Ching Moo/Jing Moon/etc. Easiest way of knowing is to check out: www.chinwoo.com. I can only guess that this site/association was made to prevent the misuse of the name. Keep in mind that not all the instructors are of direct decent from the original school. In the case of the Ging Wu school in my area, most (if not all) of the instructors are masters of a style that are contracted to teach for a certain period of time. In keeping up with the philosophies of the school, many people just don't have time to learn all that is offered, therefore it is necessary to employ those who knows the art to make up for what another instructor lacks. But that's just the school in my area. As for cross-training, I've not heard about them cross-training with western martial arts. From what I've read and heard, the cross-training was limited to Chinese martial arts. However, today's schools may have adopted some Western martial arts in their practice. Speaking only for the school in my area, karate is the only "non-Chinese" art that is offered. The Chinese arts offered at this school is Hung Gar and Wing Chun; although I recalled them teaching Choy Li Fut and Praying Mantis almost 10 years ago, and they didn't offer karate back then (whatever they teach is based on enrollment). Can't help you out with the story though.
3/3/05 9:38 AM
DaRealPorkChop

Edited: 03-Mar-05
There's a cirriculum of Jing Wu/Ching Mo forms though. Back since the days of Hou Yun Jia, there were I think 5 or 10 standard Jing Wu/Ching Mo sets that students had to learn and perform before being able to move onto a more specialized field of study like Eagle Claw, Mantis, Hung Gar, or Lost Track Arhat. These standard routines are part of the "Jing Wu/Ching Mo" division at tournaments like the Taiji Legacy tournament. This collection of forms includes famous ones like "Kong Li Quan/Gung Lek Kuen (power building form)", "Jeet Kuen (intercepting fist)", "Dil Gin" and "Shaolin Gun/Sil Lum Guan (shaolin staff)".
3/3/05 4:16 PM
lkfmdc
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Mar-05 05:05 PM
are you sure you aren't confused with the LING HO gym in Holland? Which is a Muay Thai gym run by a Thai who is ethnic Chinese (Mr Ling HO)
3/5/05 11:56 PM
ResuTudo

Edited: 05-Mar-05
http://fcfighter.brinkster.net/fighter.asp?FighterID=8261 Fyeet's profile http://www2k.biglobe.ne.jp/~shimauo/liste/090_cruiser.htm (look under B-class fighters) I guess Rapid is right. Alot of "JKD" schools also. Might I add the hundreds of Kyokushins.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.