UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Is Enlightenment good?

3/6/05 6:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Mar-05

Thoughts, beliefs, feelings, are all like a raft; they are for crossing over and not for carrying. It takes you to where you want to be, but once you’re there, it becomes an extraneous burden. This detachment to the world itself and ability move on beyond the world are keys to enlightenment. However, it seems that by doing so, we lose what is human in a sense. That we can not be moved or saddened by the passing of someone we love, that we can simply allow someone close to us to drift apart without any feeling of lost, that we can move on in our lives without any attachment to anyone in particular. For if one truly realizes that nothing lasts and is one with the world, he is in perfect harmony with everything he comes across. What need does he have for someone else in his life? Can he even love and be passionate about one person above others? Or is everyone simply all one to him, with him? This happened to me while I was training. While I was focused and committed to the dream that I was living, I was able to move on with my life without any feeling of loss for my close friends that were departing to college. I could share my life with anyone who came across it, and it felt just as great. However, after I got injured, once in a while, I began to miss them and miss that feeling of trust, love, and intimacy in a deep, close relationship. While I trained, I only needed myself in a sense to feel completed. That the greatest experiences could be mine alone, and it was just perfect that way. But these days, I find myself often feeling and wishing that there was someone I could share everything with (like most normal people), and even the great experiences these days always seem to have something missing, and I often think about how I wish that someone from the past would be right now to share the moment together. And I’m just thinking, well, if enlightenment means being able to transcend all this world attachment, then doesn’t it also mean that you would have no need or desire for someone else to share your life with you? To even want to be in love with another person? To even feel a sense of lost and misery when a relationship ends? What do you guys make of that?
3/25/05 12:46 PM
Parallax86

Edited: 25-Mar-05
"And I’m just thinking, well, if enlightenment means being able to transcend all this world attachment," bear that in mind. the reason u will feel lonely is because of internal circumstances, not external circumstances. ur goals might be shifting and now u realise u need people. "that we can move on in our lives without any attachment to anyone in particular". remember , its not jus not being 'attached' to people , it includes things and ideas , includin ur feelings of loneliness . is enlightenment good ? definitely , it means being happy with what u have when u have it . no goals , no desires , no duality. are u enlightened ? u can answer that.
3/26/05 3:57 PM
BushHog

Edited: 26-Mar-05
You are already "enlightened" what ever that might mean. The only thing that keeps you from seeing this is the thought" i am not enlightened" that you attach to.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.