UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Reading Speed

3/7/05 2:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-05

I've started to read more and more, and the more i read the more i love it. Problem is i am slow and highly unmotivated. Anyone have tips on making a big difference in my reading speed without losing any comprehension? Keep in mind that i am impoverished and short on time, so i need something i dont have to go find or pay for. Just some tips, preferably proven ones. -doug-
3/9/05 12:51 AM
cakegirl
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Mar-05
Practice makes perfect!
3/9/05 8:35 AM
BaldTony
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

practice taking in more than one word at a time. It's fairly easy to learn, and everyones brain is more than capable of doing it.
3/9/05 2:25 PM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, will do. Anyone else? -doug-
3/9/05 8:36 PM
Andrew Yao
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think there are any special tricks, at least not if you want full comprehension. There probably are tricks to skim effectively. The only way to get good is to read a lot. Anyways, if you enjoy it, what does it matter how fast or slow you go? If you have something sufficiently good, you'll zoom through it without noticing. I recently read Cannery Row by John Steinbeck in one sitting at the library. "Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. Cannery Row is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonks, restaurants and whore houses, and little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses." Without a doubt, Steinbeck's best.
3/9/05 9:54 PM
azarali

Edited: 09-Mar-05 09:57 PM
i'd recommend the evelyn wood program at www.pryor.com (the online version). it costs 70 dollars for a years access, though. it's definitely worth it; it has helped me tremedously in increasing my reading speed while retaining my comprehension.
3/10/05 9:31 AM
vermonter

Edited: 10-Mar-05
Andrew, I have issues with motivation and attention. If it takes me too long, i'm not even likely to start, let alone finish :( I dont really mind taking my time, being a philosophy major means i have to spend an hour on each sentence (sometime each word) anyway, but for my english courses it would be nice to be able to zip through a story or a chapter faster. Depending on the page and font, i sometimes need 5 minutes or longer for just one page. That's just too slow. It took me a month or so to read Congo, and i read for an hour or so every night! Azarali, Thanks for the link, i'll take a look. I'm a poor sucker though (i have a mortgage to pay you know, and a girlfriend!) which is why i asked on here. -doug-
3/13/05 11:28 PM
Fulkrum78

Edited: 13-Mar-05

Careful what you ask for.  If I have time off, I read better than a book a day...  Its a bitch hitting the library and going through the stacks trying to find something different to read every 4 days lol.

3/14/05 3:01 PM
vermonter

Edited: 14-Mar-05
Thanks TOT, i read them all. -doug-
3/21/05 4:31 PM
Ted Bennett
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-05
I have found that reading speed is very much a function of practice - the more you do it, the faster you get at it. Also, if you have to stop often because you don't know certain words, that kinda kills it ;-) And sorry to be a killjoy, but speed-reading is a crock. There is simply no way to absorb the entirety of a text and all of its fine points without hitting every word. You could speed read a popular novel and grasp the story fairly OK, but no one ever made it through med school by flipping through Gray's Anatomy ;-) This does not include, of course, those hateful people who can memorize phone book pages in like a minute per page. They suck :-) But seriously, I have met people like that, and they are frickin' scary....
3/22/05 11:24 AM
vermonter

Edited: 22-Mar-05
"And sorry to be a killjoy, but speed-reading is a crock." I suspected this anyway. However, since posting this thread i have just about tripled my reading speed on non-techincal texts. Vocab is not a problem for me. :) -doug-
3/22/05 12:19 PM
rnaviaux
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Mar-05
Hmmm...I might have an actual answer for this. I researched this topic back in the day. It seems that a majority of readers mentally pronounce the words when they read. This slows them down. Unfortunately the only solution I have found to this won't work for you as it takes time and effort and a little money. rna
4/17/05 3:42 PM
Liyon
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-05
rnaviaux, what's the expensive solution? The cheap alternative would be to force yourself to continue on w/o sub-vocalizing, like trying to get rid of a life-long habit, it's hard.
4/25/05 7:12 PM
rnaviaux
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-05
Interesting - I don't think I have a full answer for this. I have a theory that by increasing one's comprehension of the language you will drop the "sub-vocalization" of words. The problem is I never did that (as far as I can remember) so never had to un-learn it. To further complicate matters I started reading at a fairly late age - kindergarten. I think a person should be able to read by the time they get to kindergarten. At least that was the thoughts of my kindergarten teacher in 1970. She was VERY suprised that I didn't know how to read. I think there are several elements that may help to solve this; 1. Going back and learning phonics. (I recommend this for anyone despite their age or experience level. 2. Learning how to use a dictionary. 3. Studying a simple grammar text. 4. Making very sure to fully understand every word that you read. This takes a LOT of time and effort to start out with as you have to look these words up in dictionaries, etc. 5. If I look at a word and don't get the concept of that word then I know I need to look it up. If I just get other words in place of that word then I need to look it up. And if I do start to sub-vocalize then again I know I need to find the meanings of some words. I don't know if this will fully handle the "sub-vocalization" issue, howver, it will get one on the right road. rna http://www.studytechnology.org/sh1_4.htm
6/13/05 3:17 AM
profit2

Edited: 13-Jun-05
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.