UnderGround Forums

New York Underground >> Any BJJ in Buffalo?

3/10/05 5:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
stuyboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Mar-05

Does anyone know whether there is any BJJ instruction in the Buffalo, NY area? If so, where? Thanks
3/12/05 11:11 AM
xplatoonx

Edited: 12-Mar-05
team carlson gracie ny www.jamestownjiu-itsu.com isn't too far of a drive from buffalo
3/12/05 7:01 PM
DATC

Edited: 12-Mar-05
20-30 minutes away I teach BJJ and submission wrestling. Contact Gerry at (905) 704 0374 Gerry Owner and Operator of Defensive Arts Training Centre St. Catharines, Ontario
3/16/05 5:36 PM
killer rabbit

Edited: 16-Mar-05 05:37 PM
For jiu-jitsu, you don't need to drive a lot. I train in Orchard Park at Gutowski's Family Karate - don't let the name put you off. Joe is a black belt, and has great knowledge. The program is fairly small (4-8 students usually), so you get quality instruction. Class is on Mon-Thur 7:30-8:30PM. It's not that far, come check out a class - if you aren't happy, didn't even cost you much gas, though I think you will be happy. We do Gi and No-Gi, and some of us compete in tournaments. The school is right on Union Road near Michael Road. Drop me an e-mail at cbtengr1@aol.com, and I can tell you more, or call the school at 716-674-7597, ask for Joe, tell him Inappropriate Irish Pat told you about the school - that should get a chuckle - very long story.
3/16/05 8:23 PM
acm5060

Edited: 16-Mar-05
Joe is a black belt in what? And I heard it was primarly standing jiu-jitsu at Gutowski's. Where did he learn his ground from?
3/17/05 9:27 AM
killer rabbit

Edited: 17-Mar-05
He has a black belt in BJJ, not sure from who (never asked - as long as the instruction and knowledge are good, I don't care if he just reads good books). Also a black belt in kenpo and I think in judo. I know he has trained with a bunch of "name brand" guys (seminars and stuff), but I am not sure who put the belt on him. The number is above if you want to ask him. Not sure what standing jiu-jitsu would be - we obviously work on some takedowns, counters, etc., but don't practice standing submissions on a regular basis or anything like that. Mostly ground work, both "sport" oriented stuff before tournaments, and some more practical aspects in the "textbook" material. It definitely isn't a "traditional" BJJ school in how it is set up, but the best in Buffalo. If you want to drive, you might find better I guess, but I'm a little too busy to drive an hour each way to train. He teaches kenpo classes, which are obviously standing/striking mostly, that may be why you heard that. It is a kenpo karate school, with jiu-jitsu classes offered at night. Drop by during a class and check it out - that is really the only way to see if it is something you would be interested in. He'll be happy to set you up with a couple free classes so you can decide. If you don't like the program, keep looking. If you have other specific questions, drop me an e-mail at cbtengr1@aol.com and I'll be happy to answer them if I can, or call the school.
3/20/05 4:06 PM
stuyboy

Edited: 20-Mar-05
Thanks guys for the info. I'll be in touch.
5/9/05 12:05 PM
JJJA

Edited: 09-May-05
i would love to know who Gutowski is a BJJ blackbelt under.
5/9/05 5:45 PM
killer rabbit

Actually, I thought he was in BJJ, but it is in US Jiu Jitsu or something (this thread actually made me check because I was curious). However, I would put his knowledge against a BJJ black belt anyday, and his skill against many BJJ black belts. And to be crystal clear, he has never claimed to be anything he is not, I was the one who was mistaken. My bad. He is definitely a black belt in Judo and American kenpo and I think something else too that's not really relevant here. Once you get your class going, some interschool tournaments would probably be of benefit to both schools. I believe we met at the Carlson Gracie seminar. You gave your card to my friend Henry, my name is Pat.
5/9/05 8:32 PM
JJJA

Hey Pat, how are you? Sorry I don't remember you or your friend, I would need to see your face. But thanks for coming out to the seminar. Hope to see you guys at the class and feel free to bring anyone else as well. I don't know the guy you are talking about and don't doubt his skills. I would love to train with him also.
5/9/05 10:46 PM
DATC

Dear stuyboy, I am only a short Distance away in St. Catharines, Ontario. No Bs we have a legitamate BJJ black belt named Mark Bocek I invite you in early June to Check it out I will have you try it first. I put the post Read This and BJJ Black belt looking for a club. He fights all the time and is 1-0 in MMA. Call me at (905) 704-0374 Gerry

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.