UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> question: Legacy of Steel

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/12/05 11:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-Mar-05

My friend just picked up a video called 'Legacy of Steel' by Keatings or something like that from his FMA trainer... I was thinking of borrowing it, is it any good?
3/13/05 9:56 AM
rayfloro

Edited: 13-Mar-05
You can learn something from everyone.....since you're not outlaying any $$$$, I'd go for it. My students keep lending me tapes and DVD's, and I never say no to them...... Working my way through a whole lot of Burton Richardson tapes right now.....and getting a lot of good pointers.. Last month, I went through about 6 Krav Maga tapes. I'd love to see Keating's stuff
3/13/05 12:45 PM
Kai Tremeche

Thanks Ray... Can you put up links to your site?
3/13/05 4:00 PM
rayfloro

Hey Kai, My website is www.florofighting.com And my forum is http://www.stick-and-knife.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl All thanks to Marc Scott, who set it all up and maintains it :-)
3/14/05 10:35 AM
membrane

Edited: 14-Mar-05
I've seen it a while ago. Here's what I remember it containing: Basic flow drill-type stuff with a small knife and maybe two empty hand vs. knife disarms. Some test cutting. A few pretty cool disarms with a bandanna. Some functional stuff with big (bowie) knives like non-telegraphic striking, backcutting and a pretty good basic strategy. Definitely my favorite part of the video. Keating is an excellent speaker and I really did enjoy watching the videos for what it's worth. Interestingly enough I remember Keating instructing to extend the arm *fully* before following with the body and then feet on non-telegraphic striking. Is this the same way you teach it, Mr. Floro, or do you teach to first *start* moving the arm, then the body, then the feet?
3/14/05 2:36 PM
PoundforPound
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Mar-05 02:49 PM
I might have the wrong name, but IIRC Keating isn't thought of too highly in some FMA circles (and more specifically, by the folks who post on Eskrima Digest.)
3/14/05 3:07 PM
4 Ranges

I havent seen all of Keating's material, but his bowie material is awesome.
3/14/05 3:14 PM
Kai Tremeche

I'm gonna have to go look at the video now.
3/14/05 4:49 PM
rayfloro

Hi Membrane, Mr Keating seems to follow the "classic" fencing lunge.... My ways is slightly different. I move my point first, then the arm.....but as my arm gets half way extended, then I move body and feet. This is the theory anyway. In actual fact, it's really hard to consiously break down the move, since it's so fast. What I tell my guys is to moved everything at exactly the same time.......because the hand will naturally move faster than any other part of the body. It tends to follow that sequence anyway. Just make sure you don't "telegraph" by shifting your weight forward (which makes your body move), or by moving your feet first.....these are the common mistakes.
3/15/05 5:34 PM
membrane

Edited: 15-Mar-05
Thanks for the explanation, Mr. Floro. I truly appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge with us! I just remembered one thing about the video that I found hilarious. If any of you have read Keating's web page (http://www.jamesakeating.com/maajak1.html) you know that he is in to some weird "metaphysical" stuff. Anyway when he was explaining non-telegraphic striking he said something along these lines: "whether you believe it or not, what I'm going to show you is true ... (meaningful pause) ... in this dimension". Obviously the dimension thing cracked me up.
3/16/05 5:56 AM
Steven Lefebvre
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Mar-05
Hello Kai, Ray etc!!! I have quite of few of Mr. Keating's tapes in my collection. I would say you can always learn new things from everyone. The tapes are pretty well laid out so that you can get a good perspective of what Mr. Keating is teaching and demonstrating. Raymond, How do you find the time to watch videos!!! Gumagalang Guro Steve L. www.Bujinkandojo.net
3/16/05 9:36 AM
rayfloro

Edited: 16-Mar-05
No worries Membrane.......please call me Ray "......Raymond, How do you find the time to watch videos!!! ......." Well it's easy Guro Steve......I just park my ass in front of the video........then I go into a metaphysical state to do other things........ Only to be rudely interupted by my wife, when she shakes me awake complaining that I snore too loud....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.