UnderGround Forums

Ohio MMA Underground >> Fists Aginst Hunger = Bad Checks!

3/20/05 11:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gzbull
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-05

This post is in regards to a event that took place on Friday March 18th in Akron, Ohio called the "Fists Against Hunger" (local charity event). I wrote this "editorial" the evening of March 19th, after multiple attempts to contact the promoter and get some kind of resolution: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I first want to say that I am only speaking on behalf of my own current issue with the promoter with this event & my three team mates who have yet to receive their money. The only team mate of mine that got his money was Dustin Hazelette…and that was because he was one of only TWO fighters paid in cash! So, let me explain this short…yet drawn out issue I have with the promoter, Khalid Abdussalaam! This show, “Fists Against Hunger”, was billed as a ‘charity event’ that was a mix of professional & amateur Kickboxing & MMA matches. The Pro. fighters on this card were to be paid a very nice amount of money (which I will not disclose) for show & win bonus. Since Khalid has been on the “up & up” since January, I never thought that the payment of the fighters would be something I would need to be concerned with. That said, I too did my fair share (as I always try to do for MMA promoters) to help out when things don’t always works out for promoters. I even went as far as to have one of my team mates, Dustin Hazelette, step in to fight on only 6 hours notice (drove all the way from West Virginia the day of the fight!) so that Khalid would be able to keep one of his Local fighters on the card. The bottom-line is that I went out of my way to help Khalid have quality fighters on his card (and put him in touch with some of the other fighters on the card). So, at the end of the night, all four of my team mates won their fights, and were all to be paid the same amount. No, I was never told in advance that the fighters were to be paid via check (this is my fault and will not happen again!), but as I said, I did not feel that the pay would be an issue, as Khalid always reminded me that the money for this show was not and issue (PLEASE NOTE, the amount of money offered to my team mates were just that, OFFERS! I never ‘asked’ for any thing more that what was offered.) Dan, Braden, & Josh all received their checks…no problem! However, upon returning to Columbus, Ohio, we went to a National City (the bank at which the checks were drawn) to cash the checks. We were first told they could not cash Josh’s check because of the ‘written mistake’ made by Khalid’s wife. See, the check given to Josh was considered “invalid” since Kahlid’s wife (the Treasury of the event) wrote incorrect amount on the check and then scratched it out. She informed me this would be an issue when we go to cash the check, and since she was ‘running low of checks’, I did not feel we would have a choice in the matter. At this point, I begin to call Khalid to see what could be done, as I felt is would be an isolated incident…but, while I was on the phone with Khalid, the bank informed us that they could not cash the other check because the account in which the funds were to be drawn were INADEQUATE…in other words…the checks could not be cashed! Since I was still on the phone with Khalid, I asked him what he planed on doing to get this problem corrected…Khalid then asked me, “What do you expect me to do? I am sitting at registration with 200 people in front of me!” He then told me that he would look into this and call me back in 5 mins… Over an hour passed and I called him back, only to get his voice mail. I left a lengthy message letting him know how upset I was, how unprofessional his actions were, and that I would like to get the worked out without the help of the Ohio State Athletic Commission. About an hour later, I get a call from a lady that was working with Khalid wanting to confirm the message I left, and asked me what I felt would be the best way to handle this situation. She then said would call me back with some resolution to the problem. I really felt that the problem was going to be fixed, and that I would not have to resort to contacting the Athletic Commission, contacting others fighters to see if their checks went through, or making a post like this… But I was wrong! Since this after noon, I have left over half a dozen voice mails on Khalid’s cell phone, continually reiterating that fact that I did not feel that he ‘intentionally’ did not have the money in the bank, and that if this was the case to contact me so that we could figure out how we could fix this problem. I told him that I would need to know something by 5:00pm (and I gave him much longer than that), or that I would be forced to take matter into my own hands. Since Khalid has yet to make any attempt to contact me about this matter, I felt it was important to not only create this letter, but I will also be sending this in an email to all the fighters, managers, and teams that I attended & supported this event…I will also send this to Khalid. But, most importantly, I will be in touch with the Ohio Athletic Commission on Monday morning so that problems such as these can hopefully be taken care of through the proper channels. Thanks for listening to my problems, and I hope that this issue will be taken care of in a timely fashion. If it is, I will be sure to come back here and post an update! Best Regards, Dustin Ware ps. It is now Sunday, & still no call from Khalid regarding the checks or a solution to fix the problem.
3/20/05 11:42 AM
gzbull
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any ideas on how to resolve this with the promoter would be helpful???
3/20/05 4:37 PM
4nzix_
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Akron isn't too far to drive to lay the smackdown on Khalid :) Nice meeting you at HookNShoot btw, the guy the covered that event with me just moved to Grove City from North Columbus and was wanting to get some info about your school from you. His name is adam and he trained with Mark, Kevin, Wes, and Brandon back in the day when they all trained at Bo's gym.
3/21/05 5:09 PM
OhioBJJC

Edited: 21-Mar-05
I took a team of 4 grapplers to the Saturday event. A no-gi and gi events were advertised. When we arrived and waited, we began to realize that the divisions would not go forward as planned. Eventually 11 or 12 guys showed and we made an event of it as best we could. But, i know my 4 paid a $55 entry fee for it, plus i paid a $5 spectator fee. Other martial arts were competing, so i would say a total of 200 competitors were there. During an intermission where they did a presentation, the promoter did say that they reached their goals for the tournament. I took it that they reached their financial goal. Chris Chard
4/3/05 4:03 PM
JudoFan

Edited: 03-Apr-05

Gzbull-

I would say you posting this has helped alot with the situtation. That's a pretty shitty thing that he did and even though this thread didn't get alot of responses I'm sure alot of people have read it. Well 164 to be exact. So word is getting around. I know that if I ever run across that guy or an event of his I'll steer clear of it, if possible.

As far as what to do I think you did all you could. The next stpe would be contact the OSAC. Either way I'm going to start training at Michael Patt's when I get some money together and hope to get to meet ya and learn alittle from ya.

Thanks for the heads up.

JudoFan

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.