UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Should I fight MMA vs TMA guy?

3/22/05 2:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Mar-05

Now that I beat my nemesis I have wondering what to do now. It's hard for me to get motivated to train really hard unless I got some agenda. There have been these Kempo guys who for years have been saying JJ is crap and they would KTFO us in a real fight. Instead of fighting MMA they like to go to bars and pick fights with drunk people and beat them up. This would really motivate me to train my ass of. Our MMA pool is getting deeper and I think I could probably win. I am going to start focusing on my wrestling now that my JJ superfight is over. My plans would be strickly G&P if I fought, I wouldn't go for a sub if the guys arm was on a Silver plater. What do you guys think?
3/23/05 10:02 PM
karasu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Mar-05
Go for it! Maybe you will win and they will see that no one art is superior to another, or maybe you will lose and learn whatever it is you need to learn, either way, I guess someone will be humbled!
3/24/05 12:06 PM
kanotoa
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05
I think I am humble. I am not the one running my mouth that I would beat so and so with out actually trying to prove it. I am not saying this is a slam dunk either. I am human and I can be KO'ed like anyone else. The Kempo guys here do grapple too. I also have never used my training in street fights and try to avoid situations where I can get into fights. Guys stare me down all the time but I just look away. These guys go to bars and egg guys on into fighting.
3/24/05 2:32 PM
Naughty Gorilla

Edited: 24-Mar-05
You should ask Sensei Sam Pai
3/30/05 4:51 PM
quispe

Edited: 30-Mar-05
Be careful kempo with some grappling and kickbox can be dangeorus for example: Chuck Lidell
4/26/05 2:54 PM
F-15
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-05
David Vieira BJJ / Tampa CombaT
Yes
5/4/05 4:48 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-05
"Be careful kempo with some grappling and kickbox can be dangeorus for example: Chuck Lidell" Does Chuck ever use any Kempo in his fights? In all the Lidell fights I have seen, I saw wrestling take down defense, boxing footwork, MT kicks, and brawler like looping punches. I really don't see how any of that has anything to do with Kempo. If I am completely wrong and clueless somebody please educate me in regards to how Lidell uses the deadly art of Kempo. I always thought "Kempo" sounded cool. Just imagine going up to someone in a bar and saying, "Hey man be careful, I train in Kempo".
5/6/05 9:43 PM
yusul
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-May-05
i don't understand the point, unless there is money involved. otherwise, if you aren't going to be world champ, from my view, i would focus on having fun with the training and learning new things, aspire to beyond your teacher. let those kempo idiots be deluded until they meet the tip of a gun or knife. be glad they aren't doing bjj, or else they would be arrogant and dangerous. just because chimps can't walk doesn't me we shouldn't enjoy our time spend running.
5/16/05 2:39 PM
Willybone
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-05
I saw wrestling take down defense, boxing footwork, MT kicks, and brawler like looping punches.

Why wouldn't that be kempo?
Just because Royce uses the same armbar techniques I learned in a judo class doesn't mean he's not using BJJ.
5/16/05 10:39 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-05
"Why wouldn't that be kempo?" Oh okay, I didn't know that Kempo focused on wrestling take down defense, boxing footwork, MT kicks, and brawler like looping punches. I was under the impression that they used more traditonal striking. Like Karate punches and such. If thats what Kempo is then it looks like Kempo and MMA have ALOT in common.
5/17/05 10:05 AM
Willybone
415 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-05
You'd probably be shocked if you went to some of the TMA schools I've been in.
We'd drill the sprawl. Your "MT kicks" were just our roundhouses with an emphasis on power and delivered low. We trained hands up by the chin stances and shuffle footwork like boxers. The forms stances and strikes that you're imagining are the end all of TMA training in all schools.
5/17/05 12:53 PM
FloridaArm Bar

That's cool man. Would you consider that traditional Kempo though? Before MMA ever came out were Kempo guys training in wrestling takedown defense, MT kicks, and boxing footwork? So if you guys are training in all that and not in the katas and traditonal stuff, then is there really a difference between Kempo and your average MMA school? Were your MT kicks used with the intention to hit with the shin or with the foot like karate.
5/17/05 3:14 PM
Willybone

I was actually taking hapkido when I was doing that training. It's another relatively recent modern hybrid art like kempo.

However, for us, the big difference between us and a MMA school was that we didn't do that training all the time. We also did lots of katas, one step sparring, meditation, and other things that a MMA school would consider totally beside the point. Our sparring and groundwork was "light" at best. The amount of our training that would overlap with a MMA school was maybe 25%. I wouldn't say our school churned out anyone on Chuck's level by any stretch. But, we did go over some of the techniques that I see in MMA all the time.

Now, if you read The Pit's website, you'll see they do no katas, hard sparring, and plenty of groundwork. Is that traditional? I don't know, really. They still consider themselves a Kempo school.
5/19/05 3:39 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 19-May-05 03:38 PM
Dude, fighting those guys to prove a point is pointless. If you beat them, they'll say, "Well, I couldn't use my deadly techniques because I didn't want to kill you, etc." However, they do sound like nutters for picking fights on people who are drunk to prove to themselves how tough they are. The last time I checked, that's assault and battery.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.