UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Cheap tough versatile folders?

3/31/05 8:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
4 Ranges
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-05
Waved is an invention that the Emerson guys came up with. Basically it's a little clip at the top of the blade, right where the blade meets the handle. When the knife is folded and carried tip up, the owner can pull the knife out of his pocket, and the wave catches on the inside of your pocket, opening it on the way out. It's supposedly one of the FASTEST ways to get a knife open. Based on how I've seen it done, it's hard to argue with that (even faster than autos). If you want to check it out, go to the emerson website. I think they have a clip there on how the wave works.
4/1/05 12:46 PM
knockabout

Edited: 01-Apr-05
Getting dressed in the dark one time I dropped my auto. Almost had a heart attack when it hit the ground and I heard that bitch open. Thought I'd lose some digits trying to get to the lights so I could look for it:)
4/2/05 7:06 PM
Ant C
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Apr-05
Spyderco - Paramilitary Benchmade - Mini Griptilian
4/3/05 6:43 PM
Sam Pai Kenpo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Apr-05

knifeworks.com has great prices and service.

In the lower price range, it's hard to beat the Spydercos.  I have a Dragonfly, Delica and Endura and they are very good knives.

4/3/05 8:21 PM
forsaken

I have one of the Buck/Strider models and it has been indestructable so far. Got a good price for it on Ebay.
4/3/05 9:19 PM
knockabout

Sam Pai Kenpo I was kind of hoping you'd chime in. Sold on the Enduras now.
4/8/05 1:22 AM
shovelhook

Edited: 08-Apr-05
"Getting dressed in the dark one time I dropped my auto. Almost had a heart attack when it hit the ground and I heard that bitch open. Thought I'd lose some digits trying to get to the lights so I could look for it:)" I was on a date one time and my italian auto went off in my pocket, opened into an L- shape, poking me. I sat thru that whole movie in total discomfort, I couldn't just pull it out and close it, what would she think, this guy pulling out a switchblade. I got an endura for 40 sold it back to the same pawn shop (just needed money, the knife was good) Got my wife a kershaw (rainbow) leek, man that is a nice knife, good quality, really fast opening.Pricey but worth it. A while back they were selling Gerber Applegate folders on ebay for like 30. now that is a good buy. Maybe you can still find them that cheap. I'm without a carry knife right now, I wish I could find a old school Benchmade Spike 4". (then pick up a Cold Steel Safekeeper 1, Strider, and a fighter or bowie, and maybe an auto or two)
4/9/05 5:51 PM
Sam Pai Kenpo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Apr-05

I think I have underestimated my Endura.  It's serrated edge is  incredibly sharp.  It just bit me the other day (very minor) and impressed with with it's sharpness.  I was impressed before, but have a new respect for it now.

5/2/05 7:40 PM
shovelhook

Edited: 02-May-05
I just got a Benchmade mini PIKA for $23. and a Cold Steel Safekeeper II for $35. on ebay.
5/3/05 3:46 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 03-May-05
I'm also starting to look at the spyderco manix and military.
5/24/05 5:40 PM
shovelhook

Edited: 24-May-05
The PIKA is too small, but anything 3" or under will always be (I also had a camillus cuda EDC). Other than that I like it, it jast makes me miss the extra size of my endura. I LOVE the safekeeper. Always liked the idea of push daggers, wanted one for many years, and couldn't be more satisfied with it. Awesome weapon.
5/27/05 12:14 PM
stevekt
592 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-May-05
I have a Buck 110 folder & a Kabar USMC fighting knife. both are fairly cheap and built to last forever. Ah yes! The classics.
10/11/05 9:20 PM
knockabout

Edited: 11-Oct-05
What, if any, are the major differences between the Chinook and Manix. They seem to be essentially the same knife with the obvious difference being the shape of the blade. Same blade material, same handle, lock, same all-purpose durability? Time to buy a new knife again.
10/17/05 2:51 PM
4 Ranges

Edited: 17-Oct-05
From what I've read, the stouter design of the manix makes it more of a user that is less likely to fail under abuse conditions (prying, twisting, etc.). The fine tip of the chinook II will likely break under twisting conditions. I've read tests on both, and the lock has never failed, but the tip on the chinook II did break a bit upon twisting (which isn't recommended anyway). I did some testing with the chinook II yesterday. The wife was throwing out old clothes. I held up a pair of leather suede pants, and cut at them while dangling. Of all the knives I tested (Ontario HB, SOG Trident Bowie, Sebenza, Greco Whisper, Benchmade Gravitator, Busse Magnum EU-17, Swamp Rat Rat Daddy, Spyderco Chinook II)....only the Spyderco Chinook II made an aggressive slash completely across the pant leg. The HB cut into it aggressively via back cuts, but nothing else really PENETRATED into it the way the Chinook II did. Some cut, but stopped cutting after 2 inches. With one angle #3 slash, the pant leg was cut completely open by the chinook II. I'd hate to think what kind of damage it's capable of, if someone was actually wearing those pants.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.