UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Just got tickets to Tokyo

5/13/05 12:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MontyChristo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-05
Ok, I got about a week left before my trip. Any other info I should know about Tokyo/Japan?
5/13/05 8:22 PM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-05
u can email me at gaikokujindesu2002@yahoo.com if ya wanna hook up (in a non sexual way of course!) Get a phrase book and learn a few basic phrases while on the plane. Get a copy of Dave Barry's "Dave Barry does Japan" for superb insight into the country.
7/12/05 3:00 AM
johnny54

Edited: 12-Jul-05
So Monty How was the trip?I plan on going there in October to see Pride,trying to gather as much info as possible before then,great info on this thread,thanks guys...james.
7/19/05 5:09 PM
MontyChristo

Edited: 19-Jul-05
The trip was awesome. Japan is now my favorite country after the US. We ran into Ronnie James Dio at the airport in Tokyo and he gave us free tickets and backstage passes to see him at Odaiba. There is nothing like seeing 5000 screaming Japanese that know hardly any English make the devil sign with their hands, bang their heads and sing holy diver in a Japanese accent. Definitely go to roppongi. I stayed at the Hotel IBIS in roppongi.(very reasonable price for japan) It is busy any night of the week all night, but especially Friday and Saturday. I was walking out of a bar at 5 am on a Tuesday and it was crowded like NYC on the streets. Thursday is good because a lot of places give free drinks to the ladies all night. Go to gaspanic and hang outside at 4:00 am on a Saturday to see things straight out of the "mos eisly" cantina from start wars. I will tell you some stories about that place later. I met up with SILK. He is a totally cool guy and he showed us around and we went to some good restaurants(The kind that Arthur Frommer would not be able to find if his life depended on it.) SILK is the man and if anyone talks bad about him ever I will come to your house and kick you in the shin HARD! I will write more later, but the most important things I learned about traveling to japan is that it is good to know someone that lives there, because they will show you places(restaurants, sights, etc) you would not be able to find otherwise. This makes you feel less like an outsider. Make a list of all the things you want to do(This thread had great ideas, and I did most of them). Sometimes we would just walk in a direction that looked interesting and see where it took us. We accomplished most of what we planned but we never let the schedule get in the way of randomly exploring. Sometimes we found and did things that were better than what we had originally planned. Getting around Tokyo is pretty easy but it pays to know how to pronounce a little Japanese so you can get help from the natives their. 2 weeks is a good amount of time to go btw.
7/22/05 4:11 AM
johnny54

Edited: 22-Jul-05
thanks monty,just waiting on the oct pride date and will book everything.
7/23/05 8:10 AM
johnny54

Edited: 23-Jul-05
awesome monty,great to hear you had a good time,just waiting until next pride to find out october's pride date and then book my flight's etc,will try to stay in a ryokan.Roppongi sounds awesome will definitely go there for a look!
8/2/05 6:29 PM
kung_pow
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-05
Remember the following. Trains in japan shut down from 1am - 5am. Therefore you must figure out where you want to be for the night by 12:30am. If you want to pick up chicks then make sure you are close to your hotel or know where a love hotel is. One(of the many) thing that I loved about tokyo was that at anytime of the early morning 12am-7am there were still loads of people on the street. In NYC streets are generally empty until rush hour, but not in tokyo. If you were close to bars then you would see drunk salary man grabbing at their women, people stumbling, japanese singing American songs in the most off key, worst accent you could ever imagine. I remember leaving a bar at 4:30 a.m on a tuesday and there were so many people still walking around outside looking for trouble or still looking for trouble. It was great! I saw this one DD japanese chick walking at 4:30am that was sooo hot. I think she was just getting off duty if you know what I mean. I spent more time in roppongi than shinjuku. Roppongi was smaller that shinjuku but since it was my first time in japan I felt more comfortable there(not that I ever really felt uncomfortable). Also none of the bars had cover charges in roppongi. Since shinjuku is where salraymen go to have "fun" and is known as the place to go to have "fun" I would assume it would be more expensive as well. Next time I go, now that I am aquainted with tokyo I will spend more time in shinjuku but I will be prepared to spend some cash. In shinjuku there were blocks of nothing but bars, strip clubs, and more bars. There are also many bomb ass yakitori(teriyaki shish kabob) places close to the train station in shinjuku. The more I write, the more I want to visit again. :(
8/2/05 8:26 PM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Aug-05
"The more I write, the more I want to visit again. :(" Then get yer ass back here!!!
8/6/05 1:24 AM
Tball

Edited: 06-Aug-05
"The more I write, the more I want to visit again. :(" I can relate to that.Everytime I come onto this forum Im looking sideways at my creditcard.
8/8/05 1:58 AM
kung_pow
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Aug-05
I keep recalling experiences that I had there that I was unable to recall when I was actually in Japan. When I was there I didn't sleep much and every day was packed with journeys, sightseeing, and new experiences so everyday was a blur. When my friends over there would ask me what I did the previous day I would have to think for a few minutes to remember and sometimes I would mix up which days that I did something. Now that I have had time to sort my memories and look at my pictres I keep remembering such good experiences and I can't wait to visit again. I watched lost in translation and I saw that alot of the places they filmed were the same places that I saw when I was there. I actually became even less impressed with that movie since it seemed all of the places they filed were either shibuya or shinjiku. How could bill murray be so miserable in that move when he is in shinjuku and just made 2 million bucks? You know what I would do in shinjuku if I had 2 million bucks.... That's right!... 2 chicks. Anyhoo, I am rambling. The bottom line is that Japan kicks ass and I despise anyone that tells me otherwise.
8/8/05 9:27 PM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-Aug-05
I'm exactly with you there kung_pow...I didn't sleep much and yes it was hard to remember what you did the day before when my friend asked too! The photo's help thou too. Wouldn't have it any other way thou. I'm heading back July next year for a month this next time. Can't wait! - Juggs
8/12/05 11:45 AM
CobraKaiMMA

Edited: 12-Aug-05
The only thing I wish I would have bought in japan but didn't was a saku shirt at the tokyo dome gift shop (that has alot of sweet pride stuff check it out). For food, I am not making this up, go to shinagawa train station. Excellent sushi shop where you pay by the plate. Also homemade curry time is in there and my god they have delicious curry. You don't even need to know japanese to order. Just buy your ticket outside, bring it in and they will take care of you. It's inexpensive as well. Remember shinagawa station...you'll thank me.
8/15/05 1:10 AM
kung_pow

Edited: 15-Aug-05
The water chestnuts in yokohama china town were off the hook! They sold saku t shirts at king the cage back in the day. I got two of them.
9/15/05 2:51 AM
johnny54

Edited: 15-Sep-05
I am going to tokyo for 2 weeks in mid october can't wait.Will definitely use the info on this thread!!.james.
9/15/05 9:31 PM
csw0101
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Sep-05
Hi all just got back from Japan and seeing Pride. Here's a summary of my experience: First off - loved japan! Definitely have to go back. The people are so polite and the cities are very clean. The train system is so punctual that if a train is 1 min late you think something is wrong! We got a 1 week Japan Rail pass and travelled to Kyoto and did day trips from there (Hiroshima, Osaka, Himeji) and back to Tokyo and had free travel on all JR trains so it was definitely worth it. Food isn't as expensive as you think - with a little looking around you can get meals for 1000 Yen and under (not sure what that is in $US but it's $12 aussie and under). Silk is a very cool guy! Hooked up with him and he showed my fiance and I around and we had a great time at Pride. Also he has some killer submission grappling guys at his gym :) Pride was excellent!!! If anyone has the chance to see it live you've got to do it. My fiance (who wasn't into MMA) now wants to go back to another event soon. The atmosphere is fantastic and it surreal to see all the fans cheering for their heros. However make sure you go to the toilet before the event cause I've never stood in a line that long before to go to the loo! (even worse for girls). Also if you're going to buy t-shirts make sure you check what you buy before you walk away from the stall (I got rash guards by accident! Silk can tell you the problems I had trying to exchange them after the event! Thanks again Silk!) Getting around wasn't that hard. You can get by with a few basic phrases like "do you speak english" or "I don't understand" but we had the extra problem of being asian and having people think we were japanese so I had to learn "I don't understand japanese". We had 4 days in Tokyo and it wasn't enough time to see everything. If you can schedule 5-7 days to look around and take everything in. If you have time Kyoto is definitely worth a look - it has more temples and is more like olden times Japan. Gotta go again soon!
9/21/05 1:24 PM
kung_pow

Edited: 21-Sep-05
Glad you had a great time. I met up with SILK when I went to Tokyo in May. He is a great guy and I nominate him for mod. He helped make my trip great because he showed us places that are not in the frommer's tokyo guide. In fact the best way to go to japan is to have an insider over there to show you around a little. I am looking forward to going back and watching a Pride event live.
9/22/05 4:53 PM
mestregruber
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Sep-05
Man, I gotta get back there. I just moved back to the US, and reading this makes me nostalgic. I went to like 4 PRIDE events while I was in Japan, for the record.
9/23/05 2:20 AM
johnny54

Edited: 23-Sep-05
Hey i am going next month any tips on getting a ticket to Pride?ie best place?easiest etc or any good tips or info on Japan,there already is plenty on this thread,but any more info would be great,thanks James.
9/23/05 5:47 PM
mestregruber
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Sep-05
Tickets to PRIDE are easy to get. Go to Lawson's (a convenience store,) and you can get them out of this machine that looks like an ATM, called "Loppi." Or just ask a clerk to do it for you, if you can't read Japanese. Another option is online, but again, the only sites I have ever seen are in Japanese. You can get cheap seats for 60-70 bucks American.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.