UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Bear Claw and La Griffe

3/24/05 2:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05 02:37 PM

I've heard lots of great things about Fred Perrin's La Griffe (the claw) knife ni terms of a small self defense knife (generally used as a neck knife). I recently came across an Alasakan knife called bear claw. Generally- when two people independantly come to the same conclusion, the conclusion has some merit;

les Griffes:

Bear Claws:

Curious? Perhaps a small knife with a hole right at the ricaso is really an excellent self defense tool. If you MUST you can open your hand and with very little training you can probably master most basic strikes. EDIT: The handle seems to be different between the two, I wonder what the diffrence is.

Thoughts?

MS

3/24/05 8:32 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05
ok... apparently you all know this or don't care at all... yeah!
4/5/05 5:59 PM
TONTO-Dpg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Apr-05
I like the bear claw. It can used in diffrent ways depending on grip. 1.) Regular Grip - index finger through the hole. 2.) Reverse Grip/Kerambit grip - pinky finger through the hole. 3.) Push dagger grip - middle finger through the hole. ========== 3 is my favorite. In this grip if you extend you index finger it almost completely hides the blade from view.
4/6/05 8:54 AM
4 Ranges

Edited: 06-Apr-05
Never handled any of those pieces, so it's hard to make a useful comment. :(
4/7/05 9:27 AM
membrane

Edited: 07-Apr-05
Been meaning to post on this thread but have been busy lately, sorry! I have the bear claw and the emerson version of the la griffe. The la griffe is, in my opinion, the better knife. Never handled a Perrin custom knife. They look beautiful though. I'll list out some pros and cons for both *** La Griffe Pros: Well thought of design with sufficently large hole. Thin knife, good thin kydex sheath. Easy to carry as a neck knife or IWB with a static cord. Pretty good blade steel (154cm). Very durable black coating. Cons: Might be uncomfortably thin without a cord wrap or something like that. Chisel grind. *** Bear claw Pros: Comfortably thick handle. Double flat grind Cheap Cons: The handle is too thick for concealed carry POS sheath made of Zytel (that might be too bulky for any form of concealed carry for some). The plastic lip in the sheath makes a fast draw virtually impossible without some creative modifications. The hole is too small for my fingers, I can fit only my little finger past the second knuckle. I can get a really tight convulsive grip can only be with reverse grip with it.
4/7/05 9:40 AM
membrane

Edited: 07-Apr-05
I forgot to post some general drivel about them... The design is excellent and one of the best I have seen for small fixed blades, defintely a worthwhile purchase. I would spill out the extra bucks to get the Emerson la griffe but I guess the bear claw will do if you modify the sheath or make a new one and the knfie itself fits your hand. Don Rearic wrote a whole lot about the la griffe that I agree with so I won't repeat the information: http://www.donrearic.com/emersonlagriffe.html http://www.donrearic.com/perrin.html Enjoy!
4/8/05 5:46 PM
martial_shadow

Edited: 08-Apr-05
wow! I thought this was gone, thanx guys!
4/9/05 12:03 PM
Ant C
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Apr-05
Not handled either of those but I have a Spyderco SPOT which is similar. It is so small and flat it can be worn under a t-shirt with little to no imprint.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.