UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> TMA guy confronted me about MMA

3/24/05 4:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05

Yesterday at Walmart, I was wearing a KOTC shirt that says cagefighting on the back. This guy about 40ish and very soft looking approached me and said "you fight?" I said not in MMA, but in Submission Wrestling/BJJ and I used to kickbox. This guy goes into a frickin' diatribe about how "UFC fighting" is ruining martial arts and Karate and i'd be more fulfilled if I practiced one art. Aslo, that anyone could get really good at MMA in just a few months because it's basically a jack of all trades master of none type of thing. 

I told the guy that I used to do Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido-and have black belt ranks-but that I felt more "fulfilled" and more of a complete fighter once I jumped to light speed and started training in Submission fighting(not UFC fighting).

This went on for about 15 minutes, him telling me about how straight up Karate was better. I felt like I was on some candid camera thing put on by MMA.TV.

Finally i invited him to come out and work out with us one night and judge for himself. He took my number and said he'd call me.

Now I love TMA, and still occasionally train in TKD, but this actually pissed me off. Usually i'm on the other end defending some TMA to my MMA or grappling training partners, but I kinda took this as this guy subtly insulting me. What do you guys think?

3/24/05 5:35 PM
Willybone
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05 05:42 PM
Sounds like a real winner...
I guess some people have to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down. And, you're totally right, around here, it's usually a MMA guy putting down TMAs, but idiocy cuts across all styles.
It sounds like you had the right responses.
3/24/05 6:35 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot to mention that his wife or girlfriend was a few feet away looking at something, definately within earshot. Maybe he wanted her to hear him talking to me/checking me.

On any other day I probably would've been more willing to argue with this guy, but I competed on saturday in a grappling tournament, and i've been a bit "passive" since then.

3/24/05 8:35 PM
glock4life

OK, i don't know where you got the idea I looked aggressive, unless you're calling a KOTC shirt aggressive.
3/28/05 10:45 PM
yusul
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-05
KOTC shirt is aggressive to karate guy. it's like saying 'look at me, i have bigger d!ck than you because i know how to use it'. that guy has a small dick so he was being a dick. maybe things can work out mutually beneficial if he changes his mindset and trains with you. either way, he will get a dose of reality and nothing lost for you, imo.
4/5/05 5:26 PM
SDriver
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Apr-05
You have to expect weirdos if you wear "martial arts" clothing in public. That's why I stopped wearing BJJ shirts except to train.
4/6/05 11:34 AM
bluenoser
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-Apr-05
Cool.Were you wearing your Sprawl shorts and Team Punishment Winter hat as well?
4/6/05 1:53 PM
Willybone
403 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have to expect weirdos if you wear "martial arts" clothing in public.
Too true. As part of being an assistant instructor in HKD, I had to stand in the street in SoHo NYC on weekends, wearing my full uniform, handing out pamphlets and getting people to come check out the school. Of course, that's just asking for every frickin' idiot in the world to come up and give me crap.
I'd get the whole range of idiots, but I actually found it rather amusing.
4/6/05 5:12 PM
bluenoser

Willibone was brainwashed or only 14 years old.
4/6/05 6:34 PM
glock4life

"Cool.Were you wearing your Sprawl shorts and Team Punishment Winter hat as well? "

No asshole, I don't buy punishment and Sprawl is too MMA trendy right now.

4/6/05 9:44 PM
bluenoser

Oh so you had on your Red Bull Muay Thai shorts and your Vitamins and Mineral hat. Cool
4/7/05 9:01 AM
glock4life

Edited: 07-Apr-05
No, just some jeans your Mom bought me.
4/7/05 9:12 AM
bluenoser

Edited: 07-Apr-05
Were you drinking a Red Bull?
4/12/05 5:28 PM
Willybone

Edited: 12-Apr-05
Willybone , they couldnt pay me enough to do that!
Willibone was brainwashed or only 14 years old.

It was actually kind of funny. Of course, I heard from lots of idiots.
"Do you think you could kick my ass?"
"That stuff doesn't work, you know!"
"Judo chop!"
"I'm a 6th degree blackbelt in [insert art]. What are you?"
"I want to train, but I need to get in shape first."
But, overall it was pretty cool. Most of the time, I had a hot female classmate hanging out with me because they wanted a guy/girl team. We'd flirt with each other and hand out pamphlets. Plus, SoHo is packed with mind blowing hotties, so the people watching was great.
Good times... Good times.
4/17/05 2:23 PM
mandalalisten

Edited: 17-Apr-05
My Mother-In-Law still calls what I do Karate. So Dave hows... Karate... Me... It's jiu jitsu... Her... unintelligable Me... J-U...J-I-T-S-U.. Her... It's all like karate... my friend levitated while doing yoga you better watch out it's demonic. Me... Karate's good... LOL Dave Copeland Beaverton SBGi
4/17/05 7:39 PM
yusul
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-05
haha.
5/31/05 1:49 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 31-May-05
You should've just humoured him and pretended to think about it and told him he was right.
6/14/05 12:06 PM
glock4life

Edited: 14-Jun-05
waltj--no he never did show up. Oh well.
6/14/05 5:33 PM
ThaRageWithin

"SoHo is packed with mind-blowing hotties" I thought SoHo was notorious for being full of gay men?
6/14/05 5:33 PM
ThaRageWithin

Oh, and I agree with, um, everyone on this thread so far
7/20/05 8:07 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
glock4life "Now I love TMA, and still occasionally train in TKD, but this actually pissed me off. Usually i'm on the other end defending some TMA to my MMA or grappling training partners, but I kinda took this as this guy subtly insulting me. What do you guys think?" I think you wasted your time talking to the guy. I had a local TKD school owner lecture me for about 10 minutes telling me sparring is bad for you and hurts the "art" in the martial arts. I found the conversation the equivalent of being told "your running method is flawed - you should only run on rubberized tracks at high schools" Anyone who approaches you in public to talk about fighting has a screw loose. Mark
7/25/05 6:56 PM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jul-05
Between the 2 nutjobs that talked to glock4life and Cossack2 its no wonder I do nothing to indicate I train in anything and am nothing more than a ruggedly handsome suburbanite. Mark
7/26/05 12:56 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 26-Jul-05
Abstaining from sex does not make you a great martial artist. I'm proof. At best, I'm mediocre if that. :-(.
7/26/05 2:17 PM
Willybone

Edited: 26-Jul-05
He went on to ?prove? his point with some line of bull about making chi stronger by keeping the life force inside you.
Well, he's in some kind of argeement with Rickson on that. I don't think Rickson totally abstains, but he does conserve his "energy" before a fight by abstaining. Personally, the only tournament fight I've ever won was after some morning nookie, so I'm inclined to disagree with that idea.
8/11/05 10:20 AM
Literati

Edited: 11-Aug-05
Sounds like what a lot of MMA'rs do to TMA'rs. Just jump on a guy with that know it all "Trust me, I know what's best for you" type of attitude. Regardless, the guy sounded like a dick, you should have performed the monkey steals the peach on him!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.