UnderGround Forums

Massachusetts Underground >> school reviews

3/24/05 7:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
autotech
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05

i am getting ready to do some more school reviews for massmma.com anyone that would like their school visited please leave contact info.
3/24/05 7:29 PM
autotech
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05 07:56 PM
double post
3/24/05 8:44 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**insert Team Assasins joke here**
3/24/05 8:59 PM
autotech

biggie, i will break every piece of furniture in tha living room!!
3/25/05 9:25 AM
Joe Lauzon
807 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-05
JoeLauzon.com
Yes! Yes! Team Assassins!! go, now!
3/25/05 3:51 PM
Driscoll
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-05
Which training facility will you review? Mrs. Caseau's den or the Rockland Burger King?
3/29/05 1:35 PM
AlwaysInjured
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-05
Dear Sir, I enjoy and appreciate your MASSMMA.com website. Furthermore, I agree with your site’s “award” to Jerry Spiegel of “Personality of the Year.” He’s a nut, but you’ve got to love him. In regards to school reviews, I train in Pittsfield MA at a Royce Gracie Jiu Jitsu network school. They also have a stand-up program (Shoehei-Ryu Karate) which I do not participate in. I would not go so far as to call us an MMA school (in fact, once my shoulder heals I will travel to Albany to train MMA with the aforementioned Mr. Spiegel for that purpose), however we do have competitive submission grapplers (and yes, the karate stand-up program). And four of us – with the grappling training received from this school - will fight either this summer or perhaps later this year in an MMA event. (I’ve actually fought five times in the past with my 1-year of “aikido” training that I had back in the mid-90s. That was stupid; I was stupid – we are a new school, but the trainers and students are smarter than I was back then and we are not trying to incorporate TMA into MMA.) Make no mistake, we are not a top-tier school when compared to the likes of MASS BJJ, RSD, Dragon’s Lair, Boneyard, etc. But West of Marco Alvan’s school in Ludlow we have the best ground fighting school at this end of Massachusetts. And after training with this school since only June 2004 they have helped me “medal” in the advanced divisions at both NAGA and Grappler’s Quest tournaments. The instructors here have something to offer. So while we may be out here in the boondocks, and while we may be a young school (our head instructor has taught martial arts for decades and is an incredible teacher, but only has 4-stripes on his blue belt), I think that we may have something to offer people - if they only knew about us. That being said, please consider the school for review. Again, we are not running for “school of the year”, but if they can take a no-skilled punk like me and teach me to hang with “advanced” grapplers (including beating a purple-belt to take 2nd place in the last New Jersey Grappler’s Quest advanced division), then they should have something to offer people in the way of self-defense and competitive grappling. Thank you for your consideration. Respectfully, Allen Harris (Student) School information follows: School name: Okinawan Karate School Trainers: Mark Flynn & Connie Flynn School address: 44 West Housatonic Street, Pittsfield Plaza, Pittsfield, MA 01201 Tel: (413) 443-2561 E-Mail: oks@sprynet.com
3/31/05 3:15 PM
snowman12760

Edited: 31-Mar-05
Ray, you'll be sad to know that the old IMDC location is closing after 13 years (complete with broken front door and several head-holes in the wall) door but on the bright side we are moving into a new facility that is being built....we temorarily training at another school down on Moody St.
3/31/05 4:57 PM
autotech

Edited: 31-Mar-05
alwaysinjured, you have asked and i will try to get out there. do you have weekend classes? i work till 6 mon-fri. not laeving me much time to travel out that far. would you be willing to hold a class on a saturday?.
4/1/05 10:45 AM
AlwaysInjured

Edited: 01-Apr-05
autotech, We do have classes on Sunday at 10:30 am (the jiu-jitsu portion of the classes, like I said, I personally do not participate in their stand-up). The instructor is all into this, but I'm not sure it would be easy to accommodate a Saturday request (I do believe he has classes booked all day - so if you could possibly do Sunday, all the better). However, if we were to do so, it would be for you... Do you have a direct e-mail or should I use the contact info on massmma.com? (I just figure it might be better to communicate that way...). I'll float the Saturday idea to our instructor and let you know...thanks very much. Allen
4/5/05 12:38 PM
AlwaysInjured

Edited: 05-Apr-05
WhatIsMMA - You are great! (I hope you noticed in my above post where I mentioned Marco's school in VERY high regard). I've battled 3 shoulder injuries since October and have eye surgery on the 12th of this month. Between you, Tyler and Marco I feel as if there is a real family atmosphere at the school. My most recent shoulder injury should be healed by the time my eyes heal from surgery (I'm just getting OLD). So toward the end of the month I'll be showing up. For those reading this post, while my Pittsfield school is great (good friends, and conveniently in my hometown), the quality of Marco's guys is unbelievable - it's a different level that other schools. Like I told Marco, his white belt students are better than most of the blue belts I have rolled with.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.