UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Basic Self-Defense

3/24/05 7:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 24-Mar-05

If you were to teach beginners to develop solid basic techniques that would help them survive a real-life attack, how would you outline a system in 10 lessons? Last Friday, my friend's apartment over at Pasadena got broken in by a bunch of crackheads. They beat him up with a gun pointed to his head (while asking for money) then bound and gagged his girlfriend with tape. Good thing that the girl was able to break free scream for help. The attackers fled immediately. All these occured in a span of 3 mins or less. This happened an hour after I left my friend's apartment. And I thought that the US is safe. The cops were impressive though. They were there a minute after the neighbors called 911. If that was the PI, it would take at least half an hour for any law enforcement authority to be in the vicinity.
3/25/05 10:55 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Mar-05
Siciliano, I have outlined a basic self-defense course. It is eight lessons long. The course focuses on developing awareness and basic preventive measures. I also teach a more intermediate level course that focuses on self-defense specifics. In my opinion, focusing on techniques alone is not the best method for preparing a student for the potential of violence because all the instructor has done is prepared them for the eventuality of the fight. Personally, I believe there is a lot to teach a person before violence ever rears its ugly head. Two years ago, I taught an awareness workshop at a local shopping mall. I taught them how to read people, analyze certain actions, and develop a high level of awareness to specific key elements and movements. I also gave them a hands-on experience with "real life" surveillance (not the kind seen in movies). I also showed them how a person could be visible, yet remain, "invisible." I told them that I could walk away from them until I was out of sight, turn around, and then walk towards them and touch them on their shoulder before they ever saw me. They did not believe me so I gave them a demostration. They were very surprised when they did not see me until I was just a few feet away from them (and they were actively looking for me)! So, while there is a lot an instructor can teach a person about how to deal with violence once it has reared its ugly head, I believe there is more to be taught about prevention and awareness. Roy Harris
3/26/05 7:12 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-05
TTT
3/27/05 2:55 PM
Siciliano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-05
Thanks for the reply Roy. We're going to court!
3/28/05 1:40 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-05
Roy, I like your "wholistic" self defense concept. Incidently was this awareness workshop at the shopping mall for their secruity or mall employees? Do you get alot of work for this type of seminars and workshops? It seems alot of businesses and employees would benefit from this type of training/education.
3/31/05 11:19 AM
sovann
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-05
Dang! Roy, are you a ninja?
4/1/05 4:27 AM
Roy Harris

Edited: 01-Apr-05
m.g, This workshop was for the general public. Those who attended were students of mine or friends of students of mine. I do not get any work for these kind of seminars, mainly because I am branded as a "BJJ guy." I have a lot to offer in the area of personal protection. However, one of my hurdles that needs to be overcome is the "BJJ" branding. ------------- sovann, Me, a ninja? No. Not even close. However, I am a guy with some really unique training and experiences. Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.