UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> finding a gym in Tokyo? help?

3/26/05 4:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AaronU
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-05

hey guys, I just moved to Tokyo. I am staying near Ikebukuro. I am looking for either a shooto gym or mma gym. I am going to be going to school at Sophia university and they have bjj, judo, boxing, and kickboxing clubs, but I would like to get the real experience of training in a MMA gym. I would be willing to travel by train for a while if it means going to a great gym! I have done a little bit of boxing before, plus about 6 months of bjj, and 3 months of no-gi grappling, wrestling is there any resources online that list all of the gyms in Tokyo? It doesn't necessarily have to be an official Shooto gym, but just a MMA style gym I'm looking for. Thanks! Also if any of you guys want to go out and party let me know! I live in a gaijin house and would love to meet some ofyou guys. Thanks, Aaron
3/26/05 8:19 PM
AaronU

also, I am curious, does anyone have the information on Chute Boxe Tokyo? I could not find it online. Thanks!
3/26/05 11:51 PM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're practically surrounded by awesome gyms! I'm sure Grabaka is around Ikebukuro. Here's a website for directions to Scramble & X-Point gyms. Scramble is in Shibuya so it's real close to you. http://www.shibukichi.com/inst/index.html Here's a link to the WK Network sites : http://www.wk-net.co.jp/hon/ index.html Here's a map to GUTSMAN's Gym (Mach's old gym and really good.) : http://www.globetown.net/~gutsman/access-map.htm. AXIS BJJ (Rickson affiliate) is practically around the corner from GUTSMAN across the train line. Here's a links page off of GUTSMAN's site : http://www.globetown.net/ ~gutsman/link.htm If you do a Google search for PARESTRA you'll find a pant load of sites. What are you studing at Uni there?? You're gonna have such a hard time while you're there,....NOT! ;P - Juggs
3/27/05 1:16 AM
Jaje

Edited: 27-Mar-05
A3 gym... part of the WK network. I can't recomend it highly enough!
3/27/05 3:27 AM
AaronU

I was looking on my schools clubs website and they do have bjj, judo, boxing, and kick boxing. do you think I should wait to see how these clubs are before dropping down about $200 on joining a shooto gym? I mean if I can get the same thing for free, I probably just wouldn't have the best instruction, though I am not anyone near being a professional so I'm not sure that I need the best out there yet. I am only going to be at Sophia for 1 semester and will be fulfilling my foreign language requirement and probably taking some history for my school's core curriculum. (I go to Santa Clara University back in the states.) Thanks again for all of your help guys!
3/27/05 11:07 AM
maceanderson

Aaron, If you are interested in Grabaka, shoot me an email. macevoigt@hotmail.com I train at grabaka, and really enjoy it. I live about 15 mins. away from Ikebukuro. I am also from your area back home. S.F. and Santa Cruz. Good Luck lance
3/27/05 11:10 AM
Ryan Bow
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-05 11:24 AM
Kaminari Dojo!!!!!! Instructor: Ryan Bow FREE Trial Lesson. Location: Golds Gym East Tokyo: Minami Sunamachi Sta(Tozai Line) Here is the class schedule: Sunday 4-6pm Submission Wrestling Wednesday 9-1030pm Boxing Friday 8-10pm Wrestling and Sparring Registration fee: 10,000yen (Join now and this is free!) Monthly: 8,000yen Kaminari Dojo members are also welcome to train at Toikatsu Dojo(Gold's Gym West Tokyo) and Purebred Arena Shooto Class(Saitama Shintoshin) for free. Regards, Ryan Bow Nuff Said MMA Club nuffsaidmma@hotmail.com
3/27/05 6:57 PM
SILK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can vouch for Ryan being a good teacher. And his English is pretty good too ;-) Toikatsu Gym is Toida's gym. Toida is awesome at subs.
3/28/05 1:43 AM
hamu86

Edited: 28-Mar-05
The last Kakutogi Tsushin magazine has a pretty good run-down on the major gyms. If the magazine is not in any of the bookstores around Ikebukuro, various Suidobashi places will definitely have back issues. By the way, I think Chute Boxe runs out of Nakano.
3/28/05 2:11 AM
phisone

Edited: 28-Mar-05
I dont mean to hijack, but I was wondering what options I have to train in Nagano. My work place is by the Shinkansen station in Nagano. So far I found YMC that meets once a week I think. I also heard of a Gracie Barra in Nagano. Any help would be much apreciated.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.