UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Anybody into Bowfishing?

3/27/05 1:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gatorgar
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Mar-05

This is probably my favorite sport. I like to hunt and flyfish, but bowfishing gets my attention the most. I normally wade shoal areas in a few rivers in my area, but a friend and I also do a little bowfishing in a jon boat in sloughs of some of the larger lakes around central Alabama. If you do bowfish, what kind of equipment are you running? I use a pearson recurve (Cougar I think) 45# draw weight, and an AMS retriever reel. I normally use fiberglass arrows tipped with muzzy heads. I prefer the gar points to the sharper, but weaker, carp points. I also own a few aluminum fishing arrows, but for shallow rivers I use the white fiberglass arrows. Also, what kind of fish do you shoot in your area? I have common carp, longnose and shortnose gar, drum, suckers, and grass carp mostly. I do shoot catfish from time to time, if one of them presents itself. If I go to south Alabama I go after Alligator Gar in some of the larger rivers. But I don't get to chase the gator gar but once or twice a year.
6/13/05 3:56 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Jun-05
I used to shoot carp as a kid. with a regular arrow.. :-) it would usually just run thru them and stick into the creek bed.
6/30/05 11:21 PM
Sun Wu Kung
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Jun-05
Very cool. My dad bought this cool rig that you mounted to a long bow back in the 70's and it worked great! I fished with it a couple of times, but where it really shined was frog gigging! You could get a head mounted lantern, like a coal miner uses, and go out a gig all night long by your lonesome.You just spot 'em with the head light, pop 'em and real 'em in. I used a 50lb draw long bow. I had aluminum shafts and I welded my own barbed heads on just some crappy field points I found laying around.
4/27/06 12:01 PM
Willybone
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Apr-06 12:02 PM
I'm getting back into archery just for fun, but the idea of bowfishing really appeals to me, too.
Are there any special considerations I need to make when buying a bow, if I'm also thinking of doing bowfishing with it? Is there a minimum poundage I should be using? Sizes? I'm looking at wooden recurves in the 40# range now.

Is there a good reference site on the legalities of bow fishing, licenses and locations? I've never hunted or fished before, except as a unlicensed kid in the woods around my house, so I'm as green as they get here.
4/27/06 3:53 PM
gatorgar
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Apr-06
www.bowfishingassociation.com
4/28/06 3:13 PM
Willybone
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Apr-06 03:19 PM
Awesome, thanks.

My bow is on order.
7/25/06 1:37 AM
ECWCock
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Jul-06
ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.