UnderGround Forums

Japan UnderGround >> Shooto 4/23 opinions?

3/28/05 8:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lat125
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-05

planning on getting tickets to see this event but i know close to nothing about shooto and wanted to know if anybody who knew the fighters could give me a heads up on who to watch for, if it looks like a good card, etc. i:m looking forward to seein kikuchi cause i hear a lot about em but otherwise don:t know any other names. any help:s appreciated guys. April 23rd Hakata Star Lanes, Fukuoka Added Cards Bantamweight Class B Homare Kuboyama (Japan, K'z FACTORY) vs. Katsuhisa Akasaki (Japan, Mumon Juku) Lightheavyweght Class A Shikou Yamashita (Japan, PARAESTRA Sapporo) vs. David Bielkheden (Sweden, Team Scandinavia Hilti Jiu-Jitsu) Welterweight Class A Tatsuya Kawajiri (Japan, Team TOPS) vs. Jani Lax (Sweden, Team Scandinavia) ------------------------------- Grappling Match Takeshi Okada (TRANK KEIRAS) vs. Kenshi Tomari (PARAESTRA Hakata, BJJ Black Belt) -67.5Kg Class B Hayate Usui (Keisyu Kai RJW) vs. Naosuke Mizoguchi (Seiryu Kai) Welterweight Class A Yoichi Fukumoto (Keisyu Kai RJW) vs. Kenichiro Togashi (PARAESTRA Hiroshima) Middleweight Akira Kikuchi (K'z FACTORY) vs. TBA
3/29/05 8:13 AM
JDee
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-05
Tatsuya Kawajiri,....the poor Swedish lads gonna take a pounding. I feel for him. - Juggs
3/29/05 10:01 AM
Sangaku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Mar-05
Lat, do you know were to get tickets? First I've heard of this! Fights down here are rare and ones with a Shooto Champ competing are even rarer.
3/31/05 1:04 AM
lat125
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-Mar-05
thanks juggs, we:ll look forward to a decisive ending. sangaku, one of my friends was just at bodymaker in hakata and got a small flier from them. now that i think of it, i:m not sure how we:re getting tickets either. i think my friend is assuming bodymaker will be selling them. i:m gonna check on that and i:ll post up any info i can get.
4/4/05 1:49 AM
Ryan G
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Apr-05 02:28 AM
This event is worth going to for Kikuchi and Kawajiri alone. Two awesome fighters. Kuboyama: Good wrestler, fast, above average ground game, not very good standing. Akasaki: Below average all around. One of Shooto's worst fighters, although he hasn't fought in over a year, so maybe he's improved. Yamashita: Very good grappler, but has been involved in plenty of boring fights. Bielkheden: Don't know much about him, but I've heard he's a good grappler. Kawajiri: The best fighter at 155 lbs in the world. A threat to finish the fight both on the mat and standing. Great takedowns, great gaurd passing, very heavy GnP, and devastating strikes standing. Very skilled in all areas of the game. Lax: Boxer who's been improving his ground technique a lot. Very tough guy. Unfortunately for him, he'll probably look like crap against Kawajiri. Usui: Pretty good striker and wrestler. Not much of a finisher, but usually is involved in entertaining fights. Mizoguchi: Not particularly skilled in any area, but exciting fighter. Fukumoto: Very good grappler with decent stand up. Exciting fighter. Togashi: Decent standup and one of the best guards in Shooto. Likes to pull guard and work for the armbar. Kikuchi: One of the best fighters at 170 lbs. Unbelievable ground skill and improving standup. Favors kimuras and armbars from side mount.
4/8/05 11:29 PM
lat125

Edited: 08-Apr-05
sangaku, sorry it took so long but we:re getting the tix from star lanes in hakata. ryan, info:s much appreciated. getting excited to see the fights.
4/10/05 4:23 AM
lat125

Edited: 10-Apr-05
nevermind, we was wrong. supposed to go to paraestra hakata but they were closed. we:re trying again tomorrow.
4/24/05 11:33 PM
hamu86

Edited: 24-Apr-05
Hey man, the least you can do is post a review of this event if you went. There are only a few reports on it in Japanese containing little more than results, probably because this card was so completely overshadowed by Pride. On a side note, I'm a Kawajiri believer, but I'm not sure he'll have enough time between this fight and his next rumored bout in Bushido to train up.
4/25/05 5:21 AM
Jaje

Edited: 25-Apr-05
Perhaps this bout was a tune up for his Bushido match? Anyways Kawajiri is a beast!
4/25/05 10:28 AM
Sangaku

Edited: 25-Apr-05
Here's what I can retreive from my fussy memory(may or not be accurate): Tatsuya Kawajiri (Japan, Team TOPS) vs. Jani Lax (Sweden, Team Scandinavia): Bell rings and Kawajiri rushes in going directly for the takedown, about 30 seconds in he gets it. From here he keeps top postion(mostly in half guard) in a neutral corning GNPing. They call last 30 seconds and Kawajiri scores a guard pass/lunging punch combo that is follow by 4-5 solid punches, and the ref stops the action just short of the end of R1. Kawajiri suffered absolutely no damage in this fight. Akira Kikuchi (Japan, K'z FACTORY) vs. Jason Brudvik (USA, Millenia Jiu-Jitsu & Hilti Jiu-Jitsu): Kikuchi stuffs an early TD and gains side postion, just dominates Brudvik with his wrestling and strength, gets the stoppage half way through the 1st via, ground strikes. Shikou Yamashita (Japan, PARAESTRA Sapporo) vs. David Bielkheden (Sweden, Team Scandinavia Hilti Jiu-Jitsu): Starts out on the feet with Bielkheden land numerous and jaw jacking 1-2 combos, I was amazed Yamashita was still standing after 3-4 of these. Then in explicably Bielkheden pulls guard, where Yamashita does NOTHING, Bielkheden lands a few really huge hammer fists from the bottom, but little else. The next two rounds go about the same, with Bielkheden coming close to finishing with GNP flurry after a TD in the second round, and Yamashita getting busier from the top(not really landing much though) and Bielkheden opening a large cut over Yamashita's eye from a hammer fist in the 3rd. Judges call it in favor of Yamashita, but most in the audience(foreigner and Japanese alike) are calling it a hometown decision. Many left with a good impression of Bielkheden. Will post more later...
4/27/05 10:42 AM
lat125

Edited: 27-Apr-05
apologies for the lack of review, didn:t know it would be wanted and unfortunately don:t remember much of it now. the post-fights drinking didn:t help. sangaku just hit the main events much better than i can remember them myself tho. i do remember clearly that kawajiri and kikuchi ridiculously outclassed their opponents and bielkheden was robbed. lemme vent real quick... bielkheden didn:t show off much grappling, and honestly we were wondering why he was keeping his guard closed and not attempt any sweeps/subs until he started pounding yamashita: s face from bottom. i:ve never seen any fight where the bottom man inflicted more damage than the top man due to strikes, and i don:t recall yamashita doing much of anything to escape bielkheden:s guard or exhibit much groundwork at all. i wouldn:t say bielkheden dominated the standup, but he got in cleaner shots than yamashita and overall inflicted much, much more damage. me and my friends all felt the win should:ve gone the other way. there are some pics (and descriptions if you can read japanese) here, though they seem to be missing bielkheden:s fight... http://www.x-shooto.jp/schedule/2005/050423/result.html http://www.x-shooto.jp/schedule/2005/050423/result2.html sangaku, was wondering if you were gonna be at the fights but completely forgot to post and ask. was a real nice surprise to see sato: s guest appearance and my friends and i are quite glad to have gone. are events down here that rare (tho that wouldn:t be surprising i suppose)? it was our first live shooto event, and we just wanna see more now dammit!
4/27/05 11:27 AM
Sangaku

Lat125 what kind tickets did you spring for? I got the cheap seats but wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get a better view next time. I know it was an exibition match, but DAMN was Sato smooth.
4/27/05 10:36 PM
lat125

sangaku, we were imaginin a bigger stage so we indulged in the 8000 yen tix. if you heard some white boy yelling during the first fight, that was the guy i was sitting next to. felt it was well worth it being in the third row though and being able to seeing the groundfighting, which was a worry of ours. and i gotta admit, i got all excited when they announced sato was fighting exhibition (tho no one else in our party knew who he was dammit). that guy was just amazing to watch. and him and kawajiri signing shirts for so cheap after was a nice way to cap off the night. btw, do you remember the scoring during the grappling match? we couldn:t understand why the win was given to the paraestra grappler even with the low blow penalty. maybe we just don:t understand the point system...?
4/28/05 11:10 PM
lat125

Edited: 28-Apr-05
hmm, seems my post didn:t post. odd... sangaku, we were imagining a bigger arena so we indulged in the 8000 yen tix. if you heard some white guy yelling during the fights, that was the guy i was sitting next to. was well worth it tho being in the third row and clearly being able to see the groundfighting, which we were worried about. and yeah, even tho it was an exhibition we were loving how fluid sato was in his moves. may not be doing so good nowdays, but the guy still looks fucking awesome. sadly everybody else in my party was worse than me and knew close to nothing about shooto, so nobody knew who he was and why i got excited about him being there! fuckers...
4/29/05 1:06 AM
Sangaku

Edited: 29-Apr-05
Were you guys in the Nishi(west) section? If so I think we were in the cheap seats behind you guys. The Parastra guy, from what I understood won because of the foul for hooking the ropes with his elbow on the first takedown attempt. It was BS though that guy was all over him. I respect both guys but it was all about Politics IMO.
4/30/05 9:33 AM
lat125

Edited: 30-Apr-05
damn, apologies for the double post. yeah we were seated in the nishi section, how far back were you guys? we figured it was politics that won the grappling match too, but i wanted to give the benefit of the doubt that i just didn:t understand the scoring system. sad for the guy with the loss.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.