UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Clear this up please...I an unsure

7/15/02 1:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
catch24
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jul-02

My question is this...what are the steps I need to take specifically to become certified and please toss me a $$ figure assuming all goes well and I pass the first time. This is only to teach GP self-defense etc and does not include law-enforcement or military personel. I am under the impression that an "experienced martial artist" begin with the BYOB but I am all-around in the dark. I suppose I am looking for affirmation/ permission to go ahead with the BYOB...here's my background, hopefully one of you studs can toss me an evaluation and tell me what you think. I would count myself as an experienced martial artists in the sense that I can really hold my own in a fight and consider myself a scrapper although my traditionally experience is pale in comparison. My reasoning for this is because I grew up fighting (w/o instruction), then later I got into TKD about 7 years ago, however I only really liked the sparring/ fighting...along with my MA, I did quite a bit of backyard wrestling and boxing, and have also been doing MMA for a while now. I dont have a black belt or anything like that so maybe I feel confined by the semantics of "experienced martial artists", but I am just wondering what you guys would consider "experienced", who you would consider qualified to go the BYOB route, and who you wouldnt. I'm a passifist by nature, but my philosophy is hurt them before they hurt you...dog eat dog. I confess that there are some legal issues that I need to become informed about as to legal self-defense, but I am acquainted with more that traditional MA including fish-hooking, biting, eye-gouging and all that "good stuff". Feel free for comments and/or questions. sincerely, Jon Spencer
7/15/02 7:13 AM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Appreciate your interest Jon, Ill do my best to reply... There's couple of things I can answer and some I wont - here. 1. Firstly, the 'won't here': You wrote: "please toss me a $$ figure assuming all goes well and I pass the first time." Ive been asked very similar questions for two decades now (thats how long Ive been teaching) similar questions: How long to get to such & such level? My answer has been the same: "Everyone is different, eveyone brings their baggage and their assets, their beliefs and their current martial muscle-memory to a session...some of its functional, some of its not, the strategy is to start , evaluate and then go from there." While youre question wasnt exactly the same, here's the point: Any martial art program that ASSURES you of a $$ amount and guarantees certification WITHOUT ever seeing you move or speak, is just out for your money. :-) While I could give you a dollar amount to start, I wont here. Since the forum began many years ago I have kept it a strict professional policy, out of respect for those seeking TCMS insights, to not have this forum 'directly' commercial. My reply above shared some of our insight, observations and training and teaching philosophy and individuals reactions to it helps position us and those reading it. Yes, om occasion, we'll announce specials for videos and encourage poeple to attend seminars here...but public inquiries about money, especially certification etc are always handled discreetly & professionally through my office. 2. Re your 'affirmation/permission' question: you wrote: "I am under the impression that an "experienced martial artist" begin with the BYOB but I am all-around in the dark." Are you refferring to our 'home study' correspondent course? That is for those wishing to cross-train in our system. That 'certifcation' is not the same as our instrcutor course. (I realize the words are confusing, but that's english for you...) While the BYOB package provides a huge platform and overview of our training system, it is not the same program or objective as the PDR course, but that info is all included in the PDR application. If youre really looking to learn our system at the 'instructor/coach' level, the PDR (Personal Defense Readiness) program is the ONLY course I give that provides a certification 'path' to teach our research ethically, morally and legally to the GP (general public). There is a link on our site in the PERSONAL DEFENSE section that describes the program, its merit and philosophy. If you cantact our office for an appilcation the details are readily available. 3. Your 'passifist by nature, but hurt them first' philosophy is fine and your observation: " I confess that there are some legal issues that I need to become informed about as to legal self-defense" is astute and covered in the PDR course. Hope this answers your questions... Tony
7/15/02 5:16 PM
catch24

So the home study program would qualify me for doing what? Would it simply familiarize me with your philosophy and system for private use only? And the PDR certification qualifies me for what? What I want is to teach self-defense. What I need is someone who knows all about it (thats you) to teach it to me, and give me the profssional credentials that tells people that I'm qualified. I would like to say that I totally understand your policy on "how much money will it cost" etc, and I dont blame you. Also I find it difficult to understand all of the context on this forum due to the large number of Abbreviations/Acrostics...maybe you should save a thread that contains a key to all the SPEAR's, PDRs, TCMS's etc. thanks for the personal attention. Jon Spencer
7/15/02 5:29 PM
Tony Blauer

Jon, Theres a real clear explanation of the homestudy program and there's also a real clear explanation about the PDR prgram there too, they are cleverly hiddin tin the following section's PERSONAL DEFENSE: then HOME STUDY OPTION then INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION Regarding the acronyms and others jargon, if you do invest in the videos or manual a lot of that will be cleared up. Certainly people should spell out the abbreviation (in brackets if necessary) if they introduce a new thread or idea. The KEY LIST page is a good idea. TOny
7/17/02 9:05 AM
temp152885

Edited: 17-Jul-02 04:32 PM
Jon, Good question asked. Let me try and help you with an answer from a perspective that is current and relative to where you are right now. I asked the same questions before attending the past PDR class in Montreal this past weekend. It was eye opening to say he least. I have studied and excelled with some of the best martial arts teachers there are. My training was purely physical. The program has you ask yourself…..How about the emotional and intellectual side???? You don’t pass or fail the course “the first time”. It is the beginning of an awareness that you will pursue if you are a serious “fighter”. I don’t want to sound all Zen here either with that statement. This is heavy, practical and immediatly applicable stuff. You also need to define the word “fighter”. If your definition is being a fighter in a ring or sparring on a mat and you can kick some a** that way, then you are a good “fighter/actor” in an environment that both parties are consenting and agreeing upon what the rules are and what the limitations will be to the engagement. Even UFC/NHB fighting has these rules or guidelines. You also know who your opponent is, how he fights, where you will be fighting him and what his preferences are relative to fighting style (ie grappling, close quarter, kicking, etc). Your learned cognitive skills are polished to a point where you can demonstrate them in this arena of consent. What happens when the sh*t hits the fan and you don’t know who is attacking you and your brain goes into “Oh sh*t” mode and you are caught as a deer in the headlights in a full out ambush. How many times have you practiced that in your training at full speed (mentally and physically)? Do you understand how your brain and body react and then process the response to a full out psycho ambush attack? Probably not. If you truly want to understand what it is to access a full arsenal physical, mental and emotional. Go see Tony. Until you do…..you don’t know what you don’t know. Any lightbulbs going off? Joe Mullings
7/17/02 9:15 AM
temp152885

Edited: 17-Jul-02 04:32 PM
Jon, One more thing. On the subject of the almighty $. ALways make sure you equate value with cost. I will make you a deal. It is based on the honor system. If you are serious about being a warrior, not just a fighter and there is a difference. Go to a PDR, if you do not walk out seeing the immediate value....send me the bill. However, if you do go and see the value.....send me a thank you note. Joe Mullings
7/24/02 11:45 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 24-Jul-02
Nice reply Joe - good disseciton and substance, but more importantly, I appreciate the faith behind your reply and offer. Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.