UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Kenpo Upswing Powerstrike

4/7/05 7:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shovelhook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Apr-05

I was reading an article about McSweeney's American Kempo karate and it went on to detail four open hand strikes. This one, the Leopard Palm, Heel/Palm, and chop. It was stated that the mechanics of this strike generate 3x the power of an uppercut. I tried it though and it does impact a hell of a lot harder than my uie; not 3x, but noticably. Also more powerful than my vertical elbow. Aside from flying knees and such, this is one of the most powerful attacks a chin could take. Has this ever been used in MMA? There were Leopard Palms in the old days (Igor on Kerr, and of course Keith Hackney on Yarbrough) with devastating effect (in this article they were described as "the same strike" as Marciano's looping right, except he struck with the knuckles). You see heel Palms today especially on the ground. But I don't recall ever seeing the upswing strike used, other than Hackney jackhammering them into the side of the big man's head. I think this would be a very useful strike to know and use. it has some good and bad points when compared to a boxing uppercut: Good- More Power; easier body mechanics (proper form and technique come natural); Uncommon (you can telligraph and the other guy may not know what's coming), surprise is always good. This is also more of a finisher, uppercuts are too but I don't see you needing to add a hook after this one (if you do follow it up you have more space for a cross, looping right, etc.), or set it up itself, for that matter. Bad- Because of longer range of motion, less accurate (and needs to be ranged), and probably not as fast; Requires more distance (not for clinch work); start of the strike leaves you wide open on that side. Despite the negative points, this is a valuable weapon and I will continue to practice it. From a distance, this is how to snap someone's head back.
6/14/05 5:55 PM
shovelhook

Edited: 14-Jun-05
I am really interested in McSweeny's American white tiger kenpo. Two of the main strikes (heel/palm and thrusting heel kick to hipbone) I have used in fights completely on natural, instinctive movements, when I was a kid and didn't know shit about fighting. I'm going to start practicing some more of these strikes, the ones I have seen how to perform, there are others I don't know the proper mechanics of, but would like to learn them all. All of these strikes generate so much power compared to linear punches. I think it helps to know as much as you can.
6/14/05 6:35 PM
tjmitch
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

See if you can find GM McSweenys book, Battle Axe. It is out of print, but there are still copies floating around. The style of kenpo I know came from GM Mcsweeny.
6/14/05 11:22 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just remember that they're just tools, it's the strategy in which you use them that will make them work. Do you know if this guy has any connection to keith Hackney, the old UFC kenpo guy?
6/15/05 1:10 AM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 15-Jun-05
I always wondered where they got that 3X more powerful bit from. Did they measure it somehow? Or did they pull that figure out of the air? I actually have John McSweeney's tape on combat karate. It's very "interesting".
6/27/05 11:33 PM
The Objectivist

Edited: 27-Jun-05
John McSweeney was the Man. I think the power of the upswing is more powerful than the uppercut because of the bigger range of circular motion with more follow through. Its also unorthodox and might catch someone by surprise. The cons is that your arm comes all the way around and leaves you more open for counters. After throwing an uppercut you can bring your hands straight back to the guard. The upswing goes all the way around your back, so if you miss you go unguarded untill the strike comes back around and attacks the body. I dont know about being three times more powerful than the uppercut, but is more powerful.
6/28/05 7:54 AM
IronMonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Jun-05
You can bring the upswing strike back in a chopping or hammerfist fashion in order to cover against any counter attacks and get back to guard position. There are alot of cool unorthodox techniques from 'traditional styles' that one can use provided he has a good base.
6/28/05 8:12 PM
tjmitch
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can someone describe this shot?
6/28/05 9:51 PM
FlashGordon2002

Sort of like a chin jab but done with a closed fist, palm down, arm almost straight, just swinging the arm up.
6/29/05 12:49 PM
tjmitch

Edited: 29-Jun-05
like the starting motion of a softball pitch?
6/30/05 12:42 AM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 30-Jun-05
Yes. You swing your arm in a big, circular arc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.