UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> How is Christianity even possible?

4/16/05 5:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ruthlesstoothles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Apr-05

I am constantly amazed at how many people, (roughly 1/3 of the world's population) allow their lives to be influenced by a dusty old middle eastern book. It's not even a good book. Constant contradictions, total one sidedness. If you're not a Jew, God doesn't like you (according to the bible that is). Anyway, point is... Jews, Muslims and Christians all folow the same 1st Testament and worship the same God. My question is WHY!!!???? I mean for fuck sake, we're all literate now, this isn't the dark ages. How are so many people caught up in ancient fairy tales that don't even make sence? The funniest thing about it is everyone thinks that everyone else is worshiping wrong and that they're going to hell. What a fun little game. I'm right and you're going to hell, tee hee. I'm sure this is going to piss some people off, but seriously though. How can anyone rationally defend these religions? Someone please give me a rational defence of religion and why it's so wide spread.
4/16/05 11:01 AM
FudoMyoo

did you intend to put this on  Holyground?
4/16/05 1:50 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uh... ok.... G-d likes everyone. The Koran does not contain the Old Testament you refer to, just similar stories. Not everyone takes it literally and not everyone believes in hell. also, do want Christianity defended, Biblical religion or religion in general?
4/16/05 2:59 PM
poodollar

how could you not take the so called word of God literally?
4/17/05 3:02 AM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 17-Apr-05
Nope... not intended for the holly ground. I was looking for RATIONAL thought and philosophic ideas as to what makes the belief in religion possible. Not all religion, just the ones that follow the 1st testament God, Jew, Muslim, X-tian. And Shadow, can you quote the bible where it says God likes everyone? The Koran may not contain the 1st Testament, but it's the same God, spawned from the same root religion.
4/17/05 9:24 AM
EVILYOSHIDA

because if people ditch it.. westerners would have no culture to fall back on. it's really the core of western culture.
4/17/05 2:03 PM
martial_shadow
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Job 36:5 Behold, God is mighty, yet He despiseth not any; He is mighty in strength of understanding. Further, while the text does not always outright say that G-d loves Creation, it does imply it (eg: at the end of Genesis 1, and G-d saw all He created, that it was good.) Also, I am guessing you are misreading the word chosen. I have this is common among Westerners. Many read it to be special or better when this is not the case. Chosen in Hebrew is directly related to responsibility. Non-Jews must perform 7 acts to enter Heaven while Jews must perform 613 acts. Hence Jews are Chosen- they are to be more responsible. Christians believe many of these laws have been dropped by the sacrifice of Jesus and a New Covenant. Muslims beleive Jews and Christians violated their covenants and G-d made a new one with them. MS
4/17/05 4:34 PM
ruthlesstoothles

God promotes genocide, and the brutal murder of women and children, fun fun fun, (deutoronomy 2 and 3) (Joshua 6:20) Here not only the murder of defencless men, women and children who are in their homes, but all their animals too... this is better than grand theft auto! But apperanetly God loves money, (Joshua 6:24) and the smell of burning flesh (Leviticus 1-14)
4/17/05 9:55 PM
martial_shadow

troll
4/17/05 11:36 PM
ruthlesstoothles

I'm not looking for an argument. Just an explanation. I mean, do people really read the bible and just believe whatever they want? Or am I missing something? Do they just not read it at all and go off of what they're told or see in movies? What's going on here? If I wanted an argument, I'd have posted on the holy ground.
4/18/05 3:10 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 18-Apr-05

One explenation that I have seen, to why religions can develop in groups of people, comes from evolutionary psychologists, who argue along the lines that societies that developes religious rules and codifies moral behaviour will have an evolutionary advantage to other societies who doesn´t.

then you also have various philosophical arguments for a belief in a deity, like:

• Anselm´s Ontological argument
  • The cosmological argument
  • The teleological argument
  • the argument from religious experience
  • The moral argument

All of the above arguments has of course been discussed at length and counterarguments exist to all of them, as it exists counterarguments to those counters etc etc

If you would like to read a nice introduction to it, you could start here:

http://eblaforum.org/main/viewtopic.php?t=471

4/19/05 3:08 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 19-Apr-05
Great site Fudo... will take me a while to read through.
4/20/05 8:17 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 20-Apr-05
"How is Christianity even possible?" Love is the answer. Jesus gave the greatest example of love in all Human History.
4/26/05 4:13 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 26-Apr-05
"How is Christianity even possible?" People are stupid and easily controlled via their fears of death and pain. Religion and the church gives structure, symbols, icons, and comfort to people who have trouble dealing with the reality of a meaningless life other than the little bits of meaning they create. Also, religion does a masterful job of revisionist history and rhetoric that works on the weaknesses of people listed above. You cant solve god or understand him but we know he wrote this perfect book... errr. Maybe if you keep killing enough people your sect will be able to live alone in peace. Thats what christianity is really good for, its the perfect reason to excuse behavior, especially murder. Faith and luncy arent very far apart, its a matter of what a mindless major is willing to follow regarding which is labeled what. Again, How is Christianity even possible, because before Galileo people (especially the early church) were exceedingly stupid. Either science is right or faith is right, but since faith is contrary to science in so many cases it makes it hard to believe a co-existance is possible. Believing in something that strongly in light of all the negative evidence is like sticking a red hot poker in your ear and cauterizing all brain tissue that involves conscious thought and morality. "Jesus gave the greatest example of love in all Human History." Thats what I was going to say also! God gave that greatest example to Job so he could win a bet with the devil.
4/26/05 11:53 AM
vermonter
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fudo, I heard another psychological explination: As a baby, there are seemingly godly beings with total control over you, and ultimate power (ie. your parents). You are conditioned to expect this as a human being. Then, once you get older, you realize your parents aren't all powerful, and you seek out the need for that level of control again. Since it doesn't exist (at least i'll presume that for this explination) you create it, or find it created by others. -doug-
4/26/05 4:23 PM
FudoMyoo

yes I have heard about that one before too. it´s interesting.
4/27/05 1:48 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 27-Apr-05
Fiatlux, I couldn't agree with you more. vermonter, I've heard of that theory too. It makes a lot of sense. That description fits with relious followers that differ with their parents faith. If they're brought up in the same religion as their parents then its even stronger. The gods of your universe, mom and dad, are teaching you about their God who is even more powerful. Then there's never a gap in power for you to seek out. All your questions are answered by faith.
4/29/05 12:01 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 29-Apr-05
"Surely you understand, FiatLux, that what you are describing is a simpleton's Christianity and nothing else?" I thought the term "Christianity" was an ambient generalization, so I replied in kind. Not sure what the virtue of describing anything as a "simpleton's Christianity" would be exactly (considering that's the foundation of the faith, if you find it necessary to speak of it in pejorative terms you only prove my points). Since he didn't ask for specific transgressions of specifics sects why should we bother getting into such detail (when this will only make Christianity that much harder to understand and justify considering its questionable historical practices).
4/30/05 10:39 AM
bgyuk
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Apr-05
God's not going to be happy with you for posting this. I would ask his forgiveness if i were you. God can't be explained hes far greater than we understand. Have you ever even read the bible?
4/30/05 2:01 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 30-Apr-05
bgyuk.... I've read the bible, multiple translations. God is simple enough in the bible, especially in the first testimate. he's a racist, blood thirsty, money mongering, geonocidal maniac in the first testimate. it's also very clear in that book that Jahova, or Yahweh, is the God of the Jews. why everyone else on the planet thinks this God cares about them is rediculous. READ THE BIBLE!!!
5/1/05 10:24 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 01-May-05
"God can't be explained hes far greater than we understand." Example of amazing logic right there. I dont know why its true, and we cant prove it or disprove it, so it must be the case.
5/1/05 11:43 AM
ShiroRyu

Edited: 01-May-05
I was raised as a Christian as a kid, but I didn't like it very much. I hate the idea of worshipping a God, praying to him, or relying on him to give me strength or whatever. I rely on myself for strength. It also has some stuff that is pretty negative like God sending to hell anyone who doesn't follow the bible, his divine punishment, and the apocolypse. Who wants to believe that? Religion should help people, not scare them and so I agree with ruthlesstoothles. I just don't understand why people follow this kind of religion. I much prefer Eastern religions like Taoism, Buddhism, or Shintoism. Even Pagan ones are much better IMO.
5/1/05 1:08 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 01-May-05 01:24 PM
gusto.... not really. judaism is the worship of the god of a people. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I do understand it. their culture is built on the so called god that saved their race from slavery. judaism is the religion of a race of people. at the time of the 1st testimate, it was common knowledge that there are many gods and that each country had their own to pray to for protection. i do find it strange that they still literally believe in this god, but not as strange as the rest of the world worshiping and fighting over their god, yahweh.
5/3/05 12:45 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 03-May-05 12:46 PM
ahhh.... figured out the edit thing. doesn't work until a new post is added. clever.
5/5/05 4:55 PM
bgyuk
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-May-05
If it wasn't true then how would the bible exist? You can't possible believe someone made it up?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.