UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> How is Christianity even possible?

1/2/07 2:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Adam Grant
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-Jan-07
Fear of death. Annihilation is just so difficult and depressing to imagine. But through God nobody need fear death. The absence of science is also a big reason for the prominence of religion in primitive societies. Man is by nature inquisitive of how he relates to his environment, but if you don't have microscopes you're stuck with clumsy guess work. Diseases happen because God is angry. Eclipses are the sun and the moon fighting. Et cetera. I know I'm not adressing Christianity specifically but I personally see it as a religion like any other.
1/12/07 2:56 PM
Kickarse

Edited: 12-Jan-07
Well, I will attempt to explain this mystery the way I understand it. We are all nothing more then living cells. These cells at one time were all different, but came together to enhance there odds of survival. So after many years these cells evolved into different cells with different functions, yet they all worked together, which led to the evolution of man. Now mankind is nothing more then a bunch of cells working together for survial. Understanding cell behaivor is critical in my mind as to why Humans do what Humans do. Of course cells follows rules to achieve there tasks, Humans also follows rules but dont understand them because thought, is not logical in nature. Which has already been covered by others on the thread. The old saying that theres safety in numbers, is a basic cell law. People look for reasons to come together, the more people the more safety. Any reason, even made up ones will do this bescause this basic laws is hardwired into us. The wanting to gather is there at birth, we tend to lock onto the first reason we come across, as we grow older we look for larger groups for better protection, the wanting is what makes thought unlogical, reasoning is ignored because the basic drive is to gather. If you looked at our cities, you see cells gathering, working together for survival. Within the city of cells(Humans)you see cells that group together for added protection.
1/23/07 3:55 AM
Orishas

Edited: 23-Jan-07
historically speaking, christianity wasnt even a religion until the council of nicaea held by constantine who converted to christianity in order to have a unifying force that would help him combat the zoroastrians to the east. as for god, many, very rational, philosophers believed in god...such as Descartes, Avicenna, Spinoza, Berkeley etc.
2/4/07 3:39 AM
rkjmd

Edited: 04-Feb-07
It's not only possible, it's actual.
2/17/07 6:45 PM
devilishstoner
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Feb-07
because humans were superstitious then and superstitious we will remain. i compare it to greek mythology: entertaining stories that are representations of the time, place, and culture in which they were written.
6/23/07 8:55 PM
clbnc

Edited: 23-Jun-07
Christianity is possible because there is tremendous amounts of credulity in humanity. There are people who will believe just about anything in spite of a horde of evidence that their beliefs are wrong.
7/14/07 11:24 PM
AlbertEinstein

Edited: 14-Jul-07
It amazes me as well. The logical conclusion, assuming that I am right of course, is that people are stupid. I'm reminded of the principles of propaganda espoused by Joseph Goebbels. Take a few simple statements and repeat them over and over. They are lies but having been repeated so many times they become truth to most people.
8/2/07 12:10 AM
jcblass

Edited: 02-Aug-07
it is called faith.
8/5/07 1:48 PM
IndianaBrandon

Edited: 05-Aug-07
Christianity is authentic and real. In a world of decedance and decay, the Church stands in defiance, gloriously waiting for the return of the Lord. There is another way to live. A clean way, a holy way. JESUS CHRIST IS COMING AGAIN!
8/25/07 7:04 AM
Chappie
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Aug-07
Ttt for later.
8/27/07 10:46 AM
Subadie

Edited: 27-Aug-07 06:39 PM
People in my college would often brag about how they little they studied in order to attain such and such grade. (I studied only one hour for the exam; Oh - yeah, I studied even less than that; well, I studied on 10 minutes AND I was drunk; Well, I studied negative one hour...) Apparently, they figured that this showed their greater innate intelligence, and how they were really smarter than the people who got As (but just because they studied so - much - If "I" studied that much of course I would have gotten an A too) I read these comments critical of Christianity. "Boy you must really be stupid to believe in that," and for some reason, I dont know why. It reminds me exactly of the feelings. I will not comment on my thoughts regarding Christianity here, but I will be say that people a LOT smarter than me (and you, dear reader) have believed in it (and not believed in it).
10/10/07 3:26 PM
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Oct-07
Most cultures (if not all) in human history have had some sort of "religion", perhaps becuase it gave them a comparative advantage over groups that didn't (Good/bad afterlifes based on how closely you adhered to certain precepts, usually serving the good of all or the good of a ruling elite). These presumably assisted in cooperative behaviour, as most people have a desire to be accepted by a group (from strength in numbers instincts). Christianity (and the other major religions) seem to be the most successful and pervasive idealogies of human history, but why are there still so many different paths if only one is true? In a logical sense, the difference between an established religion and a cult or fringe religion (derided as deluded lunatics by the adherents of the major religions, much like the first christians were by the rest of the romans) seems to be a matter of popularity. The adherents of the seperate main faiths regard each other with almost as much derision.
10/12/07 6:55 PM
bojarner

Edited: 12-Oct-07
Looking over the Kalam Cosmological argument, am I missing something. I tsays everything is created by something else. What about God?
10/13/07 6:40 PM
MrMichaelz

Edited: 13-Oct-07 06:47 PM
I feel religion is the biggest scam of all time.. I have seen nobodies (crooks, x-cons) live in millions dollar homes and drive a new car every year. It sickens me. It is a way to have control over the masses, so people above need to seel the idea to everyone so that they are easier to control (sheople). Religoin excists because governments love it! The bible says to pay taxes and obey all man made laws instituted by the king (or whatever) Its the BIGGEST BRAIN WASHING of all time. Plain and simple... its not going away anythime soon, so since they are so many sheople out there... exploit it for yourself! everyone is going to the same place when they die, no matter what there religion, color, race, etc.... the ground! and thats it. just because we can imagine heaven doesnt mean it excists... and how arrogent to think that humans deserve something like that, were still stuck in a fabulous stone age.
10/27/07 5:08 PM
the tomas

Edited: 27-Oct-07
'If you're not a Jew, God doesn't like you (according to the bible that is).' Incorrect. 'Love is the answer.' DonnaTroy has been inspired by the correct. Pratityasamutpada or the interconnectedness that exists especially with the redemptive, saving, power or love is a strong theme in human literature/mythology/religion. Alchemical transformation and redemption are strong themes as well.
10/28/07 6:41 PM
kumikata

Edited: 28-Oct-07 05:51 PM
"Looking over the Kalam Cosmological argument, am I missing something. I tsays everything is created by something else. What about God?" I think you have misunderstood the argument. The Kalam arguement could be summarized as follows: 1. Everything that begins to exist needs a cause. 2. The universe exists 3. Therefore, the universe needs a cause. or 1. Everything that begins to exist needs a beginner. 2. The universe began to exist. 3. Therefore, the universe needed a beginner. Now, the theistic understanding of God is that He is eternal, and therefore, does not require a cause. Just as if the universe were eternal, it could be argued, it would not need a cause. However, there are very good arguements from modern science that indicate that the universe had a beginnning at some point in the finite past (The Big Bang). So if the universe can be shown to have a beginning, it is plausible that it required a beginner or creator.
10/29/07 8:46 AM
thesleeper

Edited: 29-Oct-07
Mod, please move this to the main forum.
10/29/07 8:50 AM
thesleeper

Edited: 30-Oct-07 01:18 PM
"So if the universe can be shown to have a beginning, it is plausible that it required a beginner or creator." Either that or it is the latest phase of some random process that never ends and the continuation of which cannot be discerned from where we are at. Just because you establish a beginning that we are able to perceive through radio-telescopes doesn't mean that our universe isn't the next phase of some random continuous process. Also, humans have a fundamental psychological need to assign a purpose to events, whether that is Aristotle's version of science or Norse mythology.
11/3/07 12:02 AM
MrMichaelz

Edited: 03-Nov-07
fighterstyle- Christianity and other Abrhamic religions have been brutally enforced on people since there inception. It was adopted by the Roman Empire because in the Bible it basically teaches to obey the Government and to pay taxes, a perfect tool to exploit for someone trying to rule an empire, a holy entity telling people to obey, or else you will go to "hell" Without such a strong endorsement, epic rivalry (crusades) and and the built in factor of a fate of damnation, Christianity would have died along with the thousands of other religions before (and after) it. It was scary for me to accept this when I did.. but I can't believe in something that relies on so much blood shed and what sounds like folklore. This will sound really bad and I'm not being racist, but I have noticed people from that area have a tendecy to be story tellers (to put it nicely) and How convient that 3 major religions all came from the same area..??! stemming from the same thing (look up Abrahamic relgions) IMO the world would be better off without religion, although I think people will always need something to believe in, but from what I see it causes to many differences between people. If you wan't to talk about saving people and the role religion could play, lets talk about Jesus as I was brought up Christian. I feel he saved people by setting the ultimate example on how to be a decent and good person, and people want to be Christian or Muslim or Budhist, Sihk.. whatever because they can relate best to that "savior" IMO are purpose on earth is to best preserve everything we have on this planet and to survive and spread our species (animals, plants etc.) to other parts of this Galaxy and universe. WE live on eternally with the legacy and life that we have lived by being good and pure to one another. an everlasting positive imprssion of good and decent.
11/4/07 10:40 AM
kumikata

Edited: 04-Nov-07 10:45 AM
"Either that or it is the latest phase of some random process that never ends and the continuation of which cannot be discerned from where we are at." I suppose that is possible. However, when evaluating competing hypotheses, when need to look for what is the BEST explanation, not merely what is possible. It seems to me anyway, that the universe is best explained by an intelligent mind rather than "a process that never ends". Why would this process have started? Did it start by itself, without a cause? If it did, we are right back where we started...where something began without a beginner. I am not aware of anything that began that did not have an adequate cause behind it.
11/4/07 10:47 AM
kumikata

Edited: 04-Nov-07 10:52 AM
"How can a lie exist for over 2000+ years. I know of NO other story, fable or history that can be documented." I happen to be a Christian myself and believe that the evidence is in its favor, but I feel that that this argument will not work. Look at Islam for instance. It has existed since the 7th century and continues to grow, yet from a Christian perspective, it is a terrible lie. Look at Mormonism. It has been around since the 1800's and is flourishing today. We would believe that this is a lie as well. My point is that we can not determine truth by the popularity of a belief or by its staying power. We need to evaluate a religions claims by the evidence.
11/4/07 8:52 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 04-Nov-07
"We need to evaluate a religions claims by the evidence." Then you will find no religion valid. Religion isn't about evidence or truth. It is about what you want to believe to get you through your life. Simple as that. There is no 'disproving' faith, it isn't a true false proposition.
11/5/07 5:51 PM
RevSherm

Edited: 05-Nov-07
you know, if I didn't think you were a troll, I'd actually respond to the question
2/10/08 2:49 AM
kalki

Edited: 10-Feb-08
Didn't that Godguy make it ???????
2/25/08 3:58 PM
marko stefanac

Edited: 25-Feb-08
Relson Gracie Academy-Cleveland Oh
this thread is stupid, Just wait till you die and on your way to hell you can argue all you want about how hell doesnt exist, and how stupid god is. as for me, I will take my chances with faith.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.