UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> How is Christianity even possible?

3/27/10 1:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dustynothing
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How I interpret Christianity:

Like the Buddha, Jesus was a man that attained enlightenment. He had freed himself of ego and suffering. Everything he taught was for others to relieve their suffering as well.

Prayer = meditation

God = the awareness within us that is used to find enlightenment.

Kingdom of Heaven = Enlightenment.

Unfortunately, people took his teachings literally and did the exact opposite. They took a philosophy of peace used it to control people, to spread guilt and anxiety, and cause more suffering, wars, and egotism.
2/23/11 9:30 AM
Voluntaryist
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all organized religion...this includes all governments as well... are tools for power and control over other human beings. When you believe in either of these superstitions you only prop up the people in control of such things. Many people believe in both superstitions at the same time, this is horrific. These so-called politicians that call themselves christians...really?!? Theft, violence, coercion, mass murder... is that christian-like? Really, WWJB? 'Who Would Jesus Bomb?'..
8/9/11 9:39 PM
Atecexa

"Do not cast your pearls before swine for they will trample them and then turn and attack you"

Your mind is already made up and any attempt to share my faith with will result onl in you trampling it and then attacking me for it. You do not ask your questions to try to understand more about Christ and maybe have a relationship with him in your life, you ask to obtain more material with which to mock
8/10/11 7:54 AM
MrMichaelz

Atecexa - "Do not cast your pearls before swine for they will trample them and then turn and attack you"

Your mind is already made up and any attempt to share my faith with will result onl in you trampling it and then attacking me for it. You do not ask your questions to try to understand more about Christ and maybe have a relationship with him in your life, you ask to obtain more material with which to mock

Having a relationship with Christ? That's a scary thought. There is no way Christ can talk to you so that means people are convincing themselves that they are doing Gods/Christs will. That is the same thought process that brings buildings down and causes war. Christianity is a self centered and dangerous (anti) thought process and that is coming from someone that used to be a real Christian. I had real faith but after thinking discovered that there is more to life than worrying about where I will go when I die. (teaching afterlife and making a child worry about where they will go when they die is appalling)
There is more to life than faith, a crutch for someone that can't take responsibility for their own actions. The bible is the inventions of weak, sick and insecure minds. It gives instructions on how to kill sinners, how to trade slaves how to degrade just about everything, but people faith pick and choose what take literally and what is a parable. Jesus is no better.
Your quote about swine just backs up my point of how pompous chistians,jews and muslims are.
8/10/11 3:11 PM
Atecexa

It was a direct quote of scripture that was used as an analogy. Did you actually think I was talking about jewelry also...because you didn't mention anything about jewelry
8/10/11 5:14 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - 
Atecexa - "Do not cast your pearls before swine for they will trample them and then turn and attack you"

Having a relationship with Christ? That's a scary thought. There is no way Christ can talk to you so that means people are convincing themselves that they are doing Gods/Christs will. That is the same thought process that brings buildings down and causes war. Christianity is a self centered and dangerous (anti) thought process and that is coming from someone that used to be a real Christian. I had real faith but after thinking discovered that there is more to life than worrying about where I will go when I die. (teaching afterlife and making a child worry about where they will go when they die is appalling)
There is more to life than faith, a crutch for someone that can't take responsibility for their own actions. The bible is the inventions of weak, sick and insecure minds. It gives instructions on how to kill sinners, how to trade slaves how to degrade just about everything, but people faith pick and choose what take literally and what is a parable. Jesus is no better.
Your quote about swine just backs up my point of how pompous chistians,jews and muslims are.

You know, Christianity may be dangerous, and Christians may be pompous, but neither of those things means that they are wrong...

An atomic bomb is dangerous and kills people, but that doesn't make atomic theory wrong. They were right about the bomb, even though it is dangerous.
8/12/11 4:16 AM
MrMichaelz

Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

You know, Christianity may be dangerous, and Christians may be pompous, but neither of those things means that they are wrong...

An atomic bomb is dangerous and kills people, but that doesn't make atomic theory wrong. They were right about the bomb, even though it is dangerous.

In my opinion Christianity and the other Judaic religions are wrong because there is no real evidence that backs up all of their claims. It's pure fiction just like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Well we all know those are fiction right...??? What if I wanted to believe they are true because someone wrote it down.. according to that logic, it IS real.
There is something going on. I don't believe it was an accident, however I surely don't believe "God" only told people in the middle east 7000 years ago how everything was created and then decided to disappear. Leaving the Bible as his word. (which to me seems to be several different characters from what I can tell, and obviously very human) Other religions are false for the same reasons.. it's like people want to cling to the past because they are scared of the future.

8/12/11 5:59 AM
Traditionalist

Christianity was born more so out of the geo-political climate of Rome. With the Roman Empire establishing borders, and limiting economic development due to this, the religion spread like wildfire which had a crippling effect on the empire. Soldiers were not paid (No land to give out, or money taken from trampled kingdoms/empires) and needed an excuse to not fight. People were rioting due to lack of food (Empire expanded too far to support people as well as a welfare state) and without soldiers to calm them, as a result of soldiers converting, people were allowed to riot further. This had a ripple effect until the wealthy were left alone.

The upper class were that of family descent primarily. Revolutionist thinkers who previously worked for the Empire for wealth and a chance to become social elite soon converted to Christianity out of necessity as well as an outlet to explore their horizons.

Out of this cultural revolution, all educated and all 'revolutionists' became christian, and the poor did as well, following suit.

The legend of Jesus is one of a child prodigy, who preformed miracles, and was killed/sacrificed for the good of those not associated with the Empire (Social Elite). To build upon this, some of the Apostles were of affluent families, being an entire counter-culture to Roman Society.

Roman Society was about doing for your 'Family', which in the Roman definition was any Roman who you associated with. But the affection for those not in the community was non-existent. Same is to be said with the Roman religion, the G-ds favored the Romans, and hated everyone else. The Romans were chosen.

Christianity spawned, as well as all Abrahamic religions, in the belief one 'G-d' exists, will accept anyone (Conversion is allowed) and favors those who simply accept the religion. Some stipulations exist. Christianity spread like wildfire because it was the most open to conversions in initiation.

The religion has historical roots to a counter-culture, and a belief that through the tearing down of cultural divides on a global scale prosperity is possible to solve the problems in connection to/with a lack of monetary capacity to take care of everyone. At the time social status was not something people could travel between.

Now, if you believe, that is up to you. But most people who tout they are Christian have no idea the beliefs that started the religion and act as hypocrites. The religion simply believes in helping each other, not taking help from the government but finding non-government solutions (As Rome was). But this is an under-note for simply helping all who are not as fortunate as yourself. Christianity is global unification with the belief in helping everyone advance as a community.
8/12/11 4:03 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

In my opinion Christianity and the other Judaic religions are wrong because there is no real evidence that backs up all of their claims.

Stopped reading right there. Absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence.
8/12/11 9:37 PM
MrMichaelz

Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

In my opinion Christianity and the other Judaic religions are wrong because there is no real evidence that backs up all of their claims.

Wow, that's a whole new level. So just because there is nothing to prove it, the absence, that is ok for you anyway. You would think something so old and so followed would have some real evidence by now. Follow blindly regardless of a silly thing called evidence.

That is truly frightening, leaving a barbaric text up for personal interpretation and the lack of evidence is what is wrong about belief.
8/12/11 10:32 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

Wow, that's a whole new level. So just because there is nothing to prove it, the absence, that is ok for you anyway. You would think something so old and so followed would have some real evidence by now. Follow blindly regardless of a silly thing called evidence.

That is truly frightening, leaving a barbaric text up for personal interpretation and the lack of evidence is what is wrong about belief.

Just because there is no evidence of something, does not mean that that thing doesn't exist.

We currently have no evidence of the Higgs boson. Does that mean it doesn't exist? Of course not, it just means that we don't have any evidence currently. In 5 years, we could have evidence and conclude that it does exist. Who knows?
8/12/11 11:34 PM
MrMichaelz

Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

Just because there is no evidence of something, does not mean that that thing doesn't exist.

We currently have no evidence of the Higgs boson. Does that mean it doesn't exist? Of course not, it just means that we don't have any evidence currently. In 5 years, we could have evidence and conclude that it does exist. Who knows?

By that theory and logic all religions are true because there is no way to disprove any of them. Thor, Zeus, Doaist gods even whatever people write like scientology all exist. That gives believers a hall pass to do and have an excuse for anything they want.

Why do I keep commenting on an internet thread about it?!?! I really don't care what people think or believe but there are world leaders that make decisions based on things that can't be proven (or dis proven) Dangerous people make deadly decisions based on what they think they interpret or receive as the divine word. These types of actions have serious consequences for everyone. So I think the mind set of believing in something just because you can't disprove it is too liberal. Also.. if you're going to believe in something because it's a gray area.. where does it stop? Why stop at Christianity? Why don't believers believe in anything that can be defended and have a base of followers with enough conviction not to abandon their beliefs? IMO that is all that Christianity is.. at one point in time, it was the flavor (religion) of the month and it happened to catch on. (through genocide and religocide of course) There were and still are a lot of religions to choose from, a buffet if you will.
8/12/11 11:36 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - 

By that theory and logic all religions are true because there is no way to disprove any of them.

Stopped reading right there, because that is incorrect, and a total logic fail.
8/13/11 2:04 AM
MrMichaelz

Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

By that theory and logic all religions are true because there is no way to disprove any of them.

Again.. "stopped reading right there" which is funny and a typical christian attitude. It's actually not my logic it's your logic. You can't prove that Zeus doesn't exist.. so he might as well exist.
8/13/11 2:15 AM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - 
Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

Again.. "stopped reading right there" which is funny and a typical christian attitude. It's actually not my logic it's your logic. You can't prove that Zeus doesn't exist.. so he might as well exist.

I can't prove that doesn't Zeus doesn't exist...but that doesn't mean that he does exist.

Notice, that nowhere did I say that God did exist. I just said that your argument as to why he doesn't exist is a fallacy. It was an "argument from ignorance". Read up on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Using your logic, I could assert that the Higg's boson doesn't exist and that string theory isn't real, simply because there is no evidence. However, it is fallacious, because those things may very well be true, we just haven't discovered the evidence at this point in time. In 5, or 10, or 100 years, we may or may not uncover evidence. You have no way of knowing.
8/13/11 2:46 AM
MrMichaelz

Using your logic, I could assert that the Higg's boson doesn't exist and that string theory isn't real, simply because there is no evidence. However, it is fallacious, because those things may very well be true, we just haven't discovered the evidence at this point in time. In 5, or 10, or 100 years, we may or may not uncover evidence. You have no way of knowing.

Your referencing science that has been researched and is generally accepted among the majority of the scientific community. Like the universe is 13 billion years old, there is limited evidence but it is accepted among scientists. People that are highly educated have made scientific theories based their research and logic.
IMO it's not the same as folklore and mythology (with all due respect) that was written by uneducated (to our standards) people that lived in the middle east 7000 years ago. Why is it so hard to believe that religion is used to control and seduce the masses?? Back then and even today.
I used to be a christian but refused to believe something on the account that everyone else believed so it must be true.
8/13/11 10:25 AM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - 

Your referencing science that has been researched and is generally accepted among the majority of the scientific community.

I stopped reading right there, because I'm not. There is currently no evidence for string theory or the Higg's boson.

Why is it so hard to believe that religion is used to control and seduce the masses?? Back then and even today.

That isn't hard to believe. However, even if it is used to control that masses, that still doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The President and Congress are used to control the masses...but the president and congress also exist.

No matter how many bad things you can say religion does, it doesn't prove it wrong. Simply saying that their is no evidence, also does not prove it wrong, since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I used to be a christian but refused to believe something on the account that everyone else believed so it must be true.

Yet earlier in this same post, you suggest that I should believe certain scientific theories "because the majority of scientists do"...
8/13/11 11:31 AM
MrMichaelz

Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - 

Your referencing science that has been researched and is generally accepted among the majority of the scientific community.

I stopped reading right there, because I'm not. There is currently no evidence for string theory or the Higg's boson.

Why is it so hard to believe that religion is used to control and seduce the masses?? Back then and even today.

That isn't hard to believe. However, even if it is used to control that masses, that still doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The President and Congress are used to control the masses...but the president and congress also exist.

No matter how many bad things you can say religion does, it doesn't prove it wrong. Simply saying that their is no evidence, also does not prove it wrong, since absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Yet earlier in this same post, you suggest that I should believe certain scientific theories "because the majority of scientists do"...

You're obviously very misguided and you need to adopt a different approach for arguing a point. And for christs sake, stop saying "I stopped reading right there" really? how where you able to comment on the rest? what are you a high school kid?
Scientists are professionals in a number of fields and are far more advanced with proving or at least eliminating other theories of science and therefore science moves forward helping humanity with technology and further explanations of the natural world. Religion has not moved forward like science has and in fact has not offered anything useful. Religion has ruined an entire cultural region making it a hazard to visitors and it's own inhabitants, it gave ministers the excuse to physically molest children, it brought down sky scrapers and continues to convince people to live a half life with the promise of a magical eternal after life.

You keep regurgitating that you can't disprove religion.. well continue to be a sheople and hang on to that for the rest of your life. As most brainwashed believers you fail to at least concede to common sense logic... you better hurry and read up on Zeus there buddy he's watching you too.
8/13/11 12:51 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz -

You're obviously very misguided and you need to adopt a different approach for arguing a point. And for christs sake, stop saying "I stopped reading right there" really? how where you able to comment on the rest? what are you a high school kid?

Oh, I see you are devolving into insults now. Logical discourse proving too hard?

Scientists are professionals in a number of fields and are far more advanced with proving or at least eliminating other theories of science and therefore science moves forward helping humanity with technology and further explanations of the natural world. Religion has not moved forward like science has and in fact has not offered anything useful. Religion has ruined an entire cultural region making it a hazard to visitors and it's own inhabitants, it gave ministers the excuse to physically molest children, it brought down sky scrapers and continues to convince people to live a half life with the promise of a magical eternal after life.

That's all a strawman.
I never said Reiligion > science, so I don't know what your point is. Stick to addressing the arguments that I do make.

Scientists moving forward and discovering more about the world, does not prove religion wrong.

You keep regurgitating that you can't disprove religion..

No I don't.

That we never part of my argument. You brought that point up.

well continue to be a sheople and hang on to that for the
rest of your life. As most brainwashed believers you fail to at least concede to common sense logic... you better hurry and read up on Zeus there buddy he's watching you too.

This is just embarrassing for you. Clean logical sweep in my favor. You had nothing.
8/13/11 10:14 PM
Atecexa

"Religion has not moved forward like science has and in fact has not offered anything useful. Religion has ruined an entire cultural region making it a hazard to visitors and it's own inhabitants, it gave ministers the excuse to physically molest children, it brought down sky scrapers and continues to convince people to live a half life with the promise of a magical eternal after life.

You keep regurgitating that you can't disprove religion.. well continue to be a sheople and hang on to that for the rest of your life. As most brainwashed believers you fail to at least concede to common sense logic... you better hurry and read up on Zeus there buddy he's watching you too"

Roman Catholicism and Islam have one big thing in common. They are not really a religion they are political systems disguised as a religion. And again all a religion is is a system of beliefs which everyone on the planet has. There is a reason why Christ never once used the word religion.
8/13/11 10:34 PM
MrMichaelz

I have no idea why you're so confident in your logic. A logical sweep? Just because you've convinced yourself that you are correct does not mean you are correct.
It's obvious you need everything spoon fed to you or you will call it a different arguing tactic.. like I need to resort to something like that.
My point about science is that it is ever progressing and makes massive contributions to the world. The scientific method in general is too much for believers to even grasp. It says "beliefs" (theory) can change several times before it is accepted only after years of testing, trial and eliminating other possibilities. The bible is the set in stone word of god and can't be questioned or changed, just conveniently interpreted in other ways to suit ones moral makeup.
I can tell you've been programmed to argue a certain way, choosing to dissect each sentence, you have not backed up your argument at all just try to argue against my point.. well how about you explain to me why people should believe in christ. You argue FOR your argument for a change. So we can't disprove religion..... AND THEN????
8/13/11 10:38 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - I have no idea why you're so confident in your logic. A logical sweep? Just because you've convinced yourself that you are correct does not mean you are correct.
It's obvious you need everything spoon fed to you or you will call it a different arguing tactic.. like I need to resort to something like that.
My point about science is that it is ever progressing and makes massive contributions to the world. The scientific method in general is too much for believers to even grasp. It says "beliefs" (theory) can change several times before it is accepted only after years of testing, trial and eliminating other possibilities. The bible is the set in stone word of god and can't be questioned or changed, just conveniently interpreted in other ways to suit ones moral makeup.

All strawmen.

Where did I ever say a single bad thing about science? Why do you keep bring it up.

You said "There is no evidence for Christianity, therefor Christianity is false". That is a logical fallacy called an "argument from ignorance".

I can tell you've been programmed to argue a certain way, choosing to dissect each sentence, you have not backed up your argument at all just try to argue against my point.. well how about you explain to me why people should believe in christ. You argue FOR your argument for a change. So we can't disprove religion..... AND THEN????

My argument was never that people should believe in Christ. Stay focused here, chap. I was only debunking your argument. Quit attributing positions or aguements to me that I never made.

I never said Christianity was true.
I never said science was false.

I only said that your reason "Christianity is not true" does not hold up logically.
8/13/11 11:08 PM
MrMichaelz

You must be confused chap. How about you scroll up and also do some research before you make accusations. You mentioned string theory and Higgs Boson not me. It seems your just arguing to no end, and without a point. You have not contributed anything that moves your argument forward what so ever. BTW you'd better look up strawman I think your confused. (which I guess means christianity is confused... you see what I did there?)
Again I will try to spoon feed you, going by my own personal experiences christianity does not hold up to me after years of challenging christian teaching and virtues. I've attended christian schools for over 8 years and was totally indoctrinated, but after some time, was able to see the world as it is, not how the bible and christian communities say it is. That is my perception.
Sure you can say you can't disprove it but that does not PROVE anything. Christian teaching that don't hold up to natural law makes christianity false.. I don't need to argue with about it at all.. it disproves itself.
If you have beliefs explain to me the logic of believing in religion... or your own beliefs... and try to answer the question not quote something or try and find a hole in something I said. Enough rhetoric give me the meat and potatoes.
8/13/11 11:43 PM
Perturbation

MrMichaelz - You must be confused chap. How about you scroll up and also do some research before you make accusations. You mentioned string theory and Higgs Boson not me.

So?

Did I ever anything about the whether or not those things are true?

It seems your just arguing to no end, and without a point. You have not contributed anything that moves your argument forward what so ever.

Know you are cowarding away. You still haven't addressed my counter point. Stop this red herring.

BTW you'd better look up strawman I think your confused. (which I guess means christianity is confused... you see what I did there?)

You: There is no evidence for Christianity. Therefore, it isn't real.

Me: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. If it were, it would mean that string theory isn't real.

You: Science is better than religion.

You made a strawman. I never said taht science wasn't better than religion. I never made any claim at all about the value of science. You are attacking an argument I didn't make.

Also, you are attributing the Christian viewpoint to me. Again, I never made a single post claiming that Christianity is correct. Another strawman on your part.

Again I will try to spoon feed you, going by my own personal experiences christianity does not hold up to me after years of challenging christian teaching and virtues.
I've attended christian schools for over 8 years and was totally indoctrinated, but after some time, was able to see the world as it is, not how the bible and christian communities say it is. That is my perception.
Sure you can say you can't disprove it but that does not PROVE anything. Christian teaching that don't hold up to natural law makes christianity false..I don't need to argue with about it at all.. it disproves itself.
If you have beliefs explain to me the logic of believing in religion... or your own beliefs... and try to answer the question not quote something or try and find a hole in something I said. Enough rhetoric give me the meat and potatoes.

I'm an atheist. You won't hear me arguing that Christianity is correct.

I'm simply pointing out that your "There is no evidence therefor it is not real" argument is pants on head retarded.
8/14/11 3:45 AM
MrMichaelz

Perturbation - 
MrMichaelz - You must be confused chap. How about you scroll up and also do some research before you make accusations. You mentioned string theory and Higgs Boson not me.

So?

Did I ever anything about the whether or not those things are true?

This makes no sense what so ever...

It seems your just arguing to no end, and without a point. You have not contributed anything that moves your argument forward what so ever.

Know you are cowarding away. You still haven't addressed my counter point. Stop this red herring.

Cowarding away? huh?

BTW you'd better look up strawman I think your confused. (which I guess means christianity is confused... you see what I did there?)

You: There is no evidence for Christianity. Therefore, it isn't real.

Me: Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. If it were, it would mean that string theory isn't real.

You: Science is better than religion.

You made a strawman. I never said taht science wasn't better than religion. I never made any claim at all about the value of science. You are attacking an argument I didn't make.

Also, you are attributing the Christian viewpoint to me. Again, I never made a single post claiming that Christianity is correct. Another strawman on your part.

I would have to make you the villain in order for there to be a straw-man, I have done no such thing. Your the one guilty of all of fallacy.

Again I will try to spoon feed you, going by my own personal experiences christianity does not hold up to me after years of challenging christian teaching and virtues.
I've attended christian schools for over 8 years and was totally indoctrinated, but after some time, was able to see the world as it is, not how the bible and christian communities say it is. That is my perception.
Sure you can say you can't disprove it but that does not PROVE anything. Christian teaching that don't hold up to natural law makes christianity false..I don't need to argue with about it at all.. it disproves itself.

I'm an atheist. You won't hear me arguing that Christianity is correct.

I'm simply pointing out that your "There is no evidence therefor it is not real" argument is pants on head retarded.

I have offered SEVERAL reasons why I think christianity is false/not real etc. etc. Your cherry picking your argument.. you brought up science first not me. The absence of evidence does not equate something does not exist.. sure... as I stated before the bible does a fine job disproving itself.. therefore I conclude that Science offers a better explanation of how the natural world exist, it may be incomplete at this point in time, I will accept that theory, not the one written in the bible. I will also reiterate that my personal experience with christianity makes it obsolete and is another reason why I don't believe.
If you want to cherry pick "no evidence = not real" that's your prerogative your chasing your own tail. I never made it sound so simple because I don't think it is that simple.

If your an atheist then you explain to me why there is no god/creator. Just a simple explanation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.