UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Mr Blauer...

3/7/02 8:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
guardian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-Mar-02

Mr Blauer, There is a very interesting question which i think you could answer concerning.. Fighting Coaches vs Non Fighting Coaches. "Like up Fighting Coaches Vs Others" I think that is the name of the thread. Ill let you set the guy staright. Kym.
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
It is done. :-) T. BTW: The thread is: 'Coaches that have faught vs 'others
Tony Blauer

Thread seems to have disappeared. For those interested, someone posted a question as to why people like me, and other 'coaches' who don't fight, are held in the same regard as those that do fight. The poster also went on to say that the coaches that do not fight are simply afraid to. This was my reply: ----- This a loaded silly question that really cannot be won or even discussed. My reply here is a favor to some who emailed me. As to the original poster, I don't anticipate a thoughtful reply from someone who has referred to me as 'scared to fight' without ever training with me and has apparently never ever seen any of our 'contact' tapes. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, I suppose. SO this reply is for the sentient people who are actually curious about the questions legitimate logic. One of my boxing heroes, Sugar Ray Leonard was a great great fighter, but sucked as a coach. None of his stable went anywhere. The harsh reality is that he could not transfer his intuitive abilities to the student. What does this mean? Well as a 'coach' not to be confused with someone who fights and also trains fighters, it means this: "Do not show people what you can do... show them what they can do" -BLAUER TACTICAL 'Coaching' maxim {used for over a decade in instructor/coach development clinics around the planet earth.} Great coaches do not get people to copy what made them 'win', they bring greatness out of the student by helping them explore their abilities and liabilities, by re-defining their beliefs and expectations for each challenge. There have been many great athletes who have chosen fighting as their sport, some have had the luck to link up with a great coach, but the converse is not true. Most coaches are fighters who never really made it. SO what are they teach the kid that came into the gym? A little food for thought for those introspective guys out there. Frankly, I'm not sure there have been nearly as many great coaches as there are great athletes. Tony
guardian

Sick it to them, Thanks Kym
Lockz

Incredible answer to a very sensitive topic! I've had my problems with teachers/instructors/masters that were great athletes, but bad teachers.
Tony Blauer

Thanks Lockz. There was a follow-up answer in the UnderGround forum. [The thread hadn't disappeared] T
nice guy larry

One of the best coaches I have ever heard of was Cus D'Amotto and if i'm not mistaken he was never a professional fighter.Boxing is full of excellant coaches like this and I can't think of one great boxer who became a great coach. But I guess with the win by Phil this type of topic is rather moot. p.s. yeah Phil!! nice guy
Lockz

I guess there's loads of examples for that. Almost all world-class athletes have coaches that were not world-class (or at least much "worse" than their protegees). Sometimes it might become hard not to lose respect for them if you start to compare your technical abilities with your coach's. Never forget that you have to evaluate and admire what they can give you, not what they can do in YOUR field. YOU are the practitioner, he's the trainer...big difference with very different abilities needed. Not exactly on topic...but what the heck! Torsten

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.