UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Little White Lies

4/17/05 5:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanguine cynic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-05

I am writing a ten page paper for my Ethical Theory Class on "White Lies". I chose the subject because I thought it would be interesting and practical. But I am having trouble finding any philosophers other than Kant who have written on the subject. Do you know of any?
4/18/05 9:43 AM
vermonter
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-05
I think Pereboom might have in "Living without Free Will." If not, a view could be fabricated from it. I imagine he'd say something about the combination of intent and harm done equating to the rightness or wrongness of the action. If the intentions are good, and no harm is done, it should be acceptable. I dunno though, take a look. -doug-
4/19/05 2:55 PM
sanguine cynic

Edited: 19-Apr-05
Hey , could you please expand on that and maybe hit me up with a link, so if i do use pereboom ill have something to put in my bibliography?
4/21/05 11:04 AM
vermonter
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-05
Let me take a look. He had a great article called "Determinism el Dente" (although I probably spelled it wrong!) which came before his book and is basically a condensed version. The benefit of the article is that it's available online. The book is not. (not for free anyway). ill brb. -doug-
4/21/05 11:22 AM
vermonter

Edited: 21-Apr-05
Here's that article: http://www.uvm.edu/~phildept/pereboom/ALDENTE.pdf His bit on reactive attitudes is in section 7, which i guess is closest to what you are looking for, although i don't think he ever actually mentions little white lies. In class he most certainly discusses his hard incompatibilist line on small crimes (like petty theft) which he thinks are less severe than perhaps the law treats them.... His general view from my perspective would be something like: if the lier has done something that turns out bad or that is intended to turn out badly (he doesnt commit himself to utilitarianism at all, so you would need to make that clear), then the lier has done something wrong. This would include decieving the "victim" for selfish personal gain or something of the sort. His take on the consequences, though, is a little too wierd for me to get, and i've met with him a bunch of times on the issue. I think it is an underdeveloped part of his position (by his own admission). However, it IS clear to me that if the intentions are good-hearted (lieing to protect feelings) and the results arent bad (e.g. if the person's feelings actually are protected) then the LWL is.... hmmm... either morally nutral, or a bit on the positive side. Again, take a look at the article, and, even better, purchase the book. He has chapters on interpersonal relationships, crime and punishment, and moral responsibility that are easy reads, but nice and technical. I'm sure you could fabricate a view with that. If i have time i'll take a gander at my copy, but my schedule is TIGHT right now. -doug-
6/2/06 9:10 AM
Matt Banks

Edited: 02-Jun-06
when i was a child i loved ice cream. My mother told me that when you heard the music from the ice cream van, it meant that they were out of ice cream. I discovered the truth 20 years later. I have never been the same since.
6/2/06 6:34 PM
FudoMyoo

Edited: 02-Jun-06
lol
6/4/06 8:44 PM
Socrates

Edited: 04-Jun-06
Read Plato's Republic. The section on the noble lie is important.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.