UnderGround Forums

TravelGround >> Anyone been to Mt. Aconcagua?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/18/05 12:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jason hornbuckle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Apr-05

I'm planning a trip to Aconcagua in Argentina, and there are a million different guides I could use to get the logistics and park fees and all that lined up, but I can't really tell one from another, other than their prices. I was hoping someone here had climbed Aconcagua and could give me a reccomendation. thanks in advance
5/3/05 10:53 AM
e. kaye

Edited: 03-May-05
I know someone that summited with these guys as guide: http://www.aconcagua2002.com.ar/default.html On his trip not everyone made it and there was one serious injury. Keep in mid that Aconcagua is not a techinical climb, so many people underestimate the rigors and danger. Aconcagua is the most dangerous mountain in the world. More people have died on it that Everest. Partly because more people climb it. And partly because so many underestimate it. Do your homework and become a cardio animal before you go.
5/3/05 1:37 PM
jason hornbuckle

i disagree that its the most dangerous mountain in the world. it doesn't have the highest number of fatalities or highest fatality percentage, at any rate i will work on my cardio alot though. i found some good info at www.7summits.com if you haven't seen that site yet you might check it out
5/3/05 2:14 PM
e. kaye

Everest has 175 fatalities and Aconcagua has at least 108. Sorry, got the stat wrong. For an "easy" climb that is a lot of deaths. They had 16 deaths in one year alone 1986, which is worse than the worst year at Everest.
5/3/05 2:59 PM
jason hornbuckle

sure, i wasn't saying it was easy. just not the most dangerous. its the highest mountain in the americas, and needs to be recognized as more than your average climb that said, Aconcagua has been summitted by a man on a bicycle, and by a dog, so its no Everest. If you can handle the altitude, I think its easier than most high peaks.
5/3/05 3:21 PM
e. kaye

All I am saying is not to take it lightly. Yes, many people make the summit every year. On my friend's climb a guy made a misstep in a scree field, fell and got severely injured. Also, the weather is one of the greaest dangers, very variable and can get really cold.
5/4/05 8:51 PM
jason hornbuckle

Edited: 04-May-05
yeah the altitude and the weather are my big concerns
5/4/05 11:33 PM
e. kaye

Edited: 04-May-05
Buy the best clothes and boots you can. Layer up.
6/10/05 8:43 PM
GaryG
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10-Jun-05
Jason When are you planning on doing the climb? Have you done any other high altitude climbs? How did you decide on Aconcagua? Should be a very cool trip. Keep us posted! Thanks

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.