UnderGround Forums

Massachusetts Underground >> BJJ @ Harvard?

4/19/05 10:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
legalgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-05

I am moving to Cambridge (Harvard University) around August this year. I currently train with a Gracie Jiu Jitsu academy affiliated with Royler Gracie. Any suggestions on where I should train when I move? I have looked at www.massmma.com and see there are a few clubs around the area (none seem to have day time classes though.)Also there doesn't seem to be a BJJ club at Harvard or MIT - anyone know why - would have thought it would be a great place to attract students from? Thanks, lg
4/20/05 1:05 PM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Apr-05
JoeLauzon.com
Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is the main BJJ school in Boston, its in Watertown which is the next town over from Cambridge. I'm not really sure about what MIT and Harvard have for BJJ programs anymore, I know there was one or tow before, but Im not sure if they are still around. If you go to Boston Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu's site, you can look up information on their school. You should also post on their messageboard asking about clubs at the colleges, I think Keith Florian (Kenny Florian from TUF show) ran one or two of them. And I know for sure there is a club at Brandeis University in Waltham, which isnt very far either, but is a relatively new club and a lot of new people. Driscoll from these forums teaches over at that club. Good Luck
4/20/05 7:30 PM
legalgrappler

Edited: 20-Apr-05
Thanks for taking the time to respond Joe. I will definitely log onto BBJJ site. lg
6/8/05 9:15 PM
Iceberg Slim

Edited: 08-Jun-05
Yeah, Boston BJJ is very close, right off of Arsenal St. I work in Cambridge and head to Watertown for biz/lunch 3-4 times a week...takes me about 10-15 minutes. BU has wrestling club, I think, and possibly a BJJ club too. They are right over the river and also maybe a ten minute drive from Harvard proper. Of course you could always man up and try your hand at Muay Thai. Sityodtong is in Somerville, we do have grappling--but frankly if that is your emphasis you are better off at Boston BJJ.
6/9/05 12:08 AM
legalgrappler

Edited: 09-Jun-05
"Of course you could always man up and try your hand at Muay Thai." That's funny :)I have had a bit of a look on MassMMA.Com - it is hard to decide on what school to go to from this side of the world (I am still in Australia). Will def show my face at Sityodtong but my focus at the moment is to improve my groundfighting.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.