UnderGround Forums

TUF 16 >> My TUF Commentary

4/20/05 12:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kenflo
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Apr-05

My fight with Diego was heartbreaking to say the least. I have never trained harder for something in my life. I have never wanted something more than to win that fight on April 9th. Everything was superb leading up to the fight. I was confident I was going to win and get the upset. Unfortunately I think my inexperience got the best of me and Diego Sanchez was the better fighter that night. I did not circle when I needed to and did NOT use the full strategy that was planned. After the takedown up against the fence, Diego did a quick pass that got me to wake up. I immediately put him back to guard and received a punch down directly on the nose. The punch did not hurt me but opened up a gash on the nose that sent blood streaming into both of my eyes. In two blinks, my eyes held pools of blood and I was completely blind only seconds of fighting on the ground. Not being able to see, I first covered up and felt him try to pass. I turtled up and felt him trying to take the back. I rolled and fell back to guard not really knowing where he was. If I was able to see exactly where he was I would have had a good chance to get on top of him or get back to my feet. Once again feeling him in open guard he passed into mount and of course saw the blood and kept punching. I actually got calmer when he mounted because I could feel exactly where he was and did not need to see where he was as much but I still needed to cover up to protect my face. My hope was to reverse from there and get on top hoping that the ref would see the blood everywhere. From there, I had hoped to get the cut cleaned up so I could go back at it. I never once considered tapping and was ready to fight blind, cut or whatever. Obviously, the fight was stopped and I lost. I was blind out there with an opponent mounted trying to punch me, the stoppage was correct. People are talking about weight and strength being an issue. In my eyes, it was not the issue. I should have executed better, simple as that. I know I possessed the skills and mindset to defeat Diego Sanchez. The loss was devastating for me. I was angry and depressed. However, I have never let a loss break me. In my BJJ and submission career, it has fueled me to much greater things. It is hell for me right now but I am ready to fight every demon, climb whatever I need to climb and cross any pitfall that comes my way in order to win again. In MMA, and at the high levels, you can lose a million different ways which is why I respect anyone and everyone who gets in the ring/cage and fights. For others who have never done that but are quick to comment and criticize, until you go out there and actually fight, you have no idea. Their is a small % of the MMA community who crack me up. They are usually the people who don't train or have never fought in their life. They are the people who called Randy the best fighter in the world 2 weeks ago but then say he is washed up after the 2nd Chuck fight. The training for this fight alone has made me a much better fighter and the experience of this loss has made me a wiser and more experienced fighter. I fought in the cage for the 2nd time in my life and in the biggest show on earth against a tough, experienced and talented fighter. As much as I have beat myself up for this loss, and as much as I feel like I let a lot of people down, I keep coming back to one thing, "I must move forward". I am healthy, loved by friends and family and I am still able to fight another day. Things can be much worse and I am more motivated than ever to train and fight again. The great Martin Luther King Jr. said "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." And so begins my journey back. I have a contract with the UFC to fight again and I could be back as early as June or July. I will be ready to fight at 170 for sure and will be ready for 155 as well as soon as I get word that the division is back. I would like to thank my training partners and incredible coaches, Mark DellaGrotte, Peter Welch and Keith Florian. Of course, I need to thank the UFC/ZUFFA, Craig Piligian and everyone from Pilgrim Films and Spike TV for the opportunity of a lifetime. The other 15 fighters in the house need to be thanked as well for their awesome contribution to the show. I made some new friends and learned so much from each and every one of them. The greats Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture cannot go without mentioning as well. These two legends showed me so much of what it means to be a professional fighter. I wish all the cast much success in whatever future endeavors they decide to pursue. Special thanks to Brian Cimins and Grapplers Quest (www.grapplers.com) for helping me out with sponsorship money. You da man Brian! Last but certainly not least, thanks and much love to the fans and new fans of MMA who have made this sport what it is today. You have been incredible in your support of me and the sport. We have made some great jumps in the last couple of years and I hope that you continue to support the sport and pass along that same passion to others and to a new generation of MMA fans. This is only the beginning for MMA.
4/20/05 12:47 PM
MuaySteve
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classy. I'll be looking forward to your next fight.
4/20/05 12:53 PM
teflonbilly
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was a big fan of yours before Kenny, even more so now. I admire your attitude and work ethic, you are what kids need to look up to as a sport hero way more than any spoiled overpriced football, basketball or baseball player.
4/20/05 12:59 PM
Whambo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought you were gonna win the fight, I figured Diego would come out strong and you'd overtake him as the fight went on with better striking, chin, and conditioning. Unfortunate it went the way it did.
4/20/05 1:02 PM
Token Asian Guy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I have to say is........WORD keep fighting, kenflo. MMA needs more fighters with your heart, dedication, and integrity.
4/20/05 1:12 PM
Joe Lauzon
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeLauzon.com
Great fight Kenny, I will see you Saturday at Mass Destruction
4/20/05 1:13 PM
mennis65
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congratulations for making it to the final fight and best of luck with your upcoming UFC fights.
4/20/05 1:50 PM
KrisDonahoo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Florian is a bad dude. Anything can happen in a fight, and when you can't see you are assed out. Hope to see you back soon.
4/20/05 2:25 PM
2mmafreaks

KENNY ROCKS- Thanks for posting here man!
4/20/05 2:51 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Kenflo
4/20/05 3:18 PM
Paul G

Great Job Kenflo.
4/20/05 3:57 PM
kazati

very classy post. thank you, and keep fighting!
4/20/05 4:51 PM
JennyCraig

Holy Shit! What a great post. Kenflo, please don't get chased off the forum. I have seen it too many times. Best of luck on your road back to the Octagon.
4/20/05 5:31 PM
fryabusa
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice post!  I got to ask, though, why didn't you unlease the ginsu's on Sanchez? lol!
4/20/05 5:41 PM
HonkeyStyle

Great thread...
4/20/05 10:29 PM
Fulkrum78

You did good.  You had the balls to step up and give it a go.  Someone had to lose, this  time it was you.  Next time, maybe not ;) 

Train hard and come back and prove the shitheads wrong.

Not everyone starts out being the best.  If they did, I could go to a local show and see Silva vs Liddel quality fights and wouldn't need to buy ufc's ;)

6/11/05 12:59 AM
quik
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jun-05
Six Deuce Gear
Kenny, even though you're a BoSox fan, I don't think I've ever been as depressed after watching a fighter get beat as I was watching you get beat by Diego. I saw the intensity you had going into the octagon. When they showed you sitting backstage after the fight, MAN I was crushed watching that. I know you were fighting in too high of a weight class, and I'm sure that affected your chances. Oh well, I'm glad to hear that you weren't going to throw in the towel and quit training and fighting. Even worse than losing is losing the passion. I'm glad you still have it, and I wish you luck with everything you do in the future.
6/14/05 10:42 PM
Istoleclaveauspizza

Edited: 14-Jun-05
Ken you are all class
6/22/05 5:47 PM
AdrianK
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Jun-05
The best measure of a mans greatness is his capacity to suffer.
6/29/05 4:27 PM
hitmeharder

Edited: 29-Jun-05
Kenny, Honestly, really classy post. Remember you have a great team behind you. The time for looking behind you is now officially over. Look towards, train for and prepare yourself mentally for your next fight. I would hate to be your next opponent!!!!
7/12/05 9:41 AM
The Seeker

Edited: 12-Jul-05
TTT for KenFlo
3/2/12 2:27 AM
Da playmaker17
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.

Only Pro Members and Moderators are allowed to post to this thread. Upgrade to a Pro Member account today!