UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Documentary:Stevie, by Steve James

4/21/05 12:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FrankyBigguns
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-05

This is the same guy that did Hoop Dreams in 1994, as well as directing the Prefontaine movie in 97. They did this documentary last night on HBO and it was pretty emotional. Basically, Steve James (director) goes back to Southern Illinois to meet up with a guy who he had befriended through Big Brothers. The last time Steve James saw him, the kid was like 11. Now the kid done grown up and was 24. Anyway this guy, his name is Stevie, gets in legal trouble for molesting an 8 yr old cousin of his. Steve James pretty much just follows him around, but makes a point to capture his surroundings, and showcases the guys family background and all sorts of other things, such as Stevie's time in numerous foster homes in the 80s. Pretty depressing documentary, imo. But I could hardly turn away. In the end, there's no real resolution or climax. What you expect to happen, happens. But you definitely want to go back and wonder about what happened to the family and Stevie, of course. James has an uncanny ability to tell great stories through his documentaries, as his stuff has been a real success. If any of you want to make it big some day, this type of diary of biography documentary is how to get there.
4/21/05 12:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Apr-05
Thanks for the heads up. I am looking forward to catching this. I hope it's on my On Demand (HBO) now. I'll watch it this weekend.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.