UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> ethics, morals, and steroids

4/22/05 6:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FiatLux
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-Apr-05

Wanted to just throw out this a gernal topic to everyone. Ive been thinking alot about steroids and how different people either choose to use or not and why they do either. Im not really interested in well its illegal so its bad and wrong. What do you think the implications are for sports?
4/22/05 7:49 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 22-Apr-05
Less on morals and more towards health. Steroids are dangerous and it's difficult to find a reputaple source of clean product. And who's going to suggest your dossage? The people selling and recomending steroids usually arn't doctors so how can you trust them? Seems like a risk that's not worth the rewards. Plenty of supplements are legal and controlled. I'd talk to my doctor about my weight gain and strength goals and see what he/she reccomends. Then again, if you don't give a shit about your long term health and you just want to be strong as hell and big as quickly as possible. By all means, knock yourself out.
4/23/05 10:15 PM
FiatLux

Edited: 23-Apr-05
im not looking for reasons to make a person decision, I guess I should have said that before.
4/25/05 3:22 PM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-05
Implications here seem to have to do with who is willing to accept the negative consequences and who isn't. It certainly seems a little off that those who have less concern about the future will perform better now, while those who avoid the negative reprocussions via abstenance won't be able to make it as far in certain sports. I think the implications become even more complicated if you consider the difference between a person who takes a dosage of steroids that won't have any real negative impact on his health but who will benefit athletically from them, and a person who is drug free. Once you have completely divorced the 'bad health' and legal/moral consequences component from the debate, like it seems you have, it doesnt seem like there are any negative implications to sports at all, besides financial ones. At least i can't think of any. -doug-
4/26/05 3:40 AM
FiatLux

Edited: 26-Apr-05
what got me thinking about this is why wouldnt you take steroids if you were in a sport that didnt test? I was working in backwards like that. I sort of had powerlifters in mind when I thought about this. Why wouldnt you want to be stronger than everyone else... I dont know?
4/26/05 11:40 AM
vermonter
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-05
Like i said, if you throw out the health and legal concerns, there probably arent many reasons not to... maybe you dont want track marks on your ass ;) -doug-
4/27/05 1:26 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 27-Apr-05
i think most people who use roids are affraid of hard work and trial and error. always on the lookout for a quick fix. maybe there are a few out there who bust their ass and just need that little extra to meet the competition full throttle, but that hasn't been my experiance.
5/1/05 11:36 AM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 01-May-05
Sorry I don´t have the reference, but about 10% of people addicted to roids suffered severe physical abuse in childhood. Now they want to compensate it by being strong, thinking nobody will beat them again. And I know a boy and a girl, brothers, that are like that. She is older and smarter, she is an instructor of body pump, and is living away from drugs nowadays. But the boy was only 15 and had to be sent to the hospital. His skin was all purple of hemorragies, and the testicles shrinked.
5/1/05 1:19 PM
ruthlesstoothles

Edited: 01-May-05 01:31 PM
supid eh? so gusto's a juicer and doesn't wanna be thought of as the kinda pussy who likes to cut corners? roids are the easy way to put on fast, powerful muscle. it's about as natural as having an extra ball sack hanging from your chin. yeah, hard work... work is harder to do and to recover from when you don't have an unlimited supply of testosterone. can't handle having to work, think, and put in the effort to fine tune you're work outs... or you're just to "stupid" to figure it out? back to faitlux.. "why wouldn't you want to be stronger then everyone else?" getting away from health and morals... its more about how far do you want to go. ok, lets juice up and see who can lift the most, hey, why not add in a few performance enhancing surgeries, now what? ok.... how about some artificial limbs, hydraulic pumps, etc, etc. when is it still a sport and not a race of modifications?
5/1/05 4:53 PM
DonnaTroy

Edited: 01-May-05
"Why wouldnt you want to be stronger than everyone else... I dont know? " You know, like in the old western movies, there will always have somebody else faster with a gun than you. If you keep comparing yourself to other people, the tendency is that you will ALWAYS lose. Because in a field or another, there will always have someone else BETTER than you. One can be the "best in the world" in a very strict narrow field, for a short period of time. And will have to face the consequences of if, for good or for bad, for the rest of life. So, instead of wasting my time trying to be better than someone else, which usualy is out of my control, I try to be better than myself. I try to be a better person each day, to learn, to improve. The only comparison is with myself. Have I done anything better today than I did yesterday? Have I been a good person? Have I learnt something new? Have I helped with a true heart someone that was in a bad situation? The only thing I have true control are my thoughts (and usualy they don´t like to behave), and my body (until limitations due to age or illness, or death, takes over).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.