UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> What I might buy once I move.....

4/25/05 12:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wizbang
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 25-Apr-05

This is a slower forum so I don't feel like too much of an attention whore starting a new thread about this. Plus I'm always looking for opinions etc. I'll obey Georgia law and give away my corns (already done). So I'm looking at Cal Kings and Grey Bandeds. This guy seems to have a nice stock of Cals at good prices which include shipping if I read correctly. LINK TO RAYS
4/25/05 3:32 PM
josh23
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King snakes can be a bit moody, especially around the time they are going to shed. Cali's are probably the worst from what I have heard. I have 2 and although I have not been tagged yet, I won't say they have not tried. The other thing about king snakes is the defication. You WILL get crapped on. Most of the time they are cool, I have one that you can usually just pick up, the other I got a little later and she still has to be hooked out. I have heard from two sources that most people get tagged by their cali's. That being said Randy Wright is one of THE best breeders I have ever met. I have met him in person and guarantee that his animals are all clean, eating and healthy. Not that you ever have to worry about a king snake not eating. He also has some nice specimens. He has other alternatives if you decide against a King Snake. He has rosy boas, dumerils, gophers, irian jaya carpets, womas, black heads and even gila monsters. Here is his link http://www.rosyboa.com/randywright.htm his web site might not be the best, but he takes excellent care of his animals. At the shows you can't even handle his animals until he sees you disinfect your hands.
4/25/05 4:07 PM
wizbang
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the link. I'm looking at sources too. I will book mark that. I'll be looking to buy in July. Are your cals wild caught? I thought there temperment was similar to a corn when captive raised from the egg? I do have kids who like to handle our pet snakes so I want to make sure they are ok.
4/25/05 4:33 PM
josh23

Nope. Captive Bred. One was a hatchling when I got it, the other was a yearling. They are nippier than corns, but in my experience not quite as skittish. Don't get me wrong, I love my king snakes, and my 4 year old can handle my older one. But the youngster is still too nippy. They are very calm once you get them out of the tank, but you still might get crapped on. The older one has never struck once out of the tank. The little girl is still learning though. My corns have never hissed, struck or anything though, so I wouldn't say they are like corns.
4/25/05 4:45 PM
josh23

I don't have any experience myself, but I have heard that Rosy Boas are great snakes with kids. My sister had one and never had a problem. You can also check out Balls, and Childrens pythons.
4/25/05 7:10 PM
wizbang

I had the rarest of all rare snakes years ago. A wild caught ball python that ate well and lived many many years. That was the second snake I ever owned. Good memories but I'm going to stick with domestic coulbrids for now. I like the animals from my link and yours. I may want someone who ships from Florida since I'll be in GA. Shorter flight = better chance of live delivery. BTW the grey bandeds on that site you gave are awesome.
4/25/05 7:51 PM
josh23

That is a rare snake indeed. I have never really been into ball pythons much. But one of the breeders I mentioned lives down the street from me. He is getting ready to start breeding albino balls and I think I will probably pick one of those up. I almost picked up another king this weekend. It was a hypo florida king. Absolutely beautiful. Probably the best looking king snake I have seen. Of course the cali's contrast is an attention getter as well. The one thing I can't stress enough about Randy's snakes is that they are healthy snakes. I have bought three snakes from him and they are all doing great. Don't hesitate to call him and see what he has available. He is great about answering any questions you have, and he has a lot of experience. We just had our last big show out here until August though, so his animals may be limited.
4/25/05 11:41 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I raised my Cal-King from a wee baby into a 5 foot monster 8+ years later. She never tried to bite, the worst i ever got was if i hadn't handled her in a week or two i'd get musked and pooped on if i picked her up outta her enclosure. She'd very quickly calm down in these rare cases and was always a naturally calm and tractable snake. Never ever hissed or made any threatening motions towards any human ever. I trusted her as much as one can trust a snake. I wouldn't hesitate to let anyone hold her that asked, supervised by me at all times of course lol she was my baby ;-) The funny thing is at the time i bought her Kings all had a rep for being super calm and never biting at all. She kept true to that "standard" as i knew it. It seems in recent years i've heard a few people mention that their baby kings were nippy but i've never experienced it. My Irian Jaya Carpet on the other hand you had to read and she would at times strike at motion near the glass, and as a baby tried to strike once or twice.
4/25/05 11:50 PM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/25/05 11:55 PM
Spankenstyne

4/26/05 7:57 AM
wizbang

Edited: 26-Apr-05
Good looking snake. Now that I think about it, I believe you've posted those before. That is basically what I'm looking for (hatchling sized). The poop talk is scaring me a bit. Don't think I'd ever heard that. It's abit off putting but any snake my family ownes will be handled regularly.
4/26/05 10:49 AM
josh23

The defication is the biggest turnoff with these snakes. Even if you avoid catching the crap on your arm their home still requires to be cleaned more often than most other common pet snakes. With all of my boas and pythons I can get away with spot cleaning once or twice a week. With the king snakes I have to go through their cage a couple times a week, and change the substrate three times more often than my other snakes. I never heard about them being nippy either, until I bought mine. That was when everybody starting telling me the negatives to king snakes. Don't get me wrong, I love King snakes and I will continue to grow my collection of them. But if I were to chose a single snake for my family and my young kids, that would not be the one. If my kids were older it wouldn't bother me though. I hear you with the carpet. I have a jungle, and even though they are a bit better tempered than the Irian Jaya's you still have to read her before you get her out. Just to be safe I usually hook her out when shes not on her branch, her strike is just so fast.
4/26/05 11:13 AM
wizbang

I'm still geeked about the prospect of a new pet snake but you guys are making me wish I was taking my corns with me. Espically since I raised the father from a hatchling, and picked up the mother from this very forum and since the two siblings (produced by them)I kept were beautiful and tame........AHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT HAVE I DONE????? j/k I don't think the one enclosure we still have is big enough for a bull snake (about 30gal size) (the other option I was thinking about looking into). I read where the Grey Bandeds can be trouble eaters so I've kind of ruled them out. Any other suggestions (I'll research on my own of course, just curious)? Remember, it can't be native to Georgia. NO NO IN GA
4/26/05 11:21 AM
josh23

Another consideration might be a Western Hognose. They are pretty cool looking, dont get that big, and from my experience (I've never owned one, but have held plenty) pretty docile. If it is a consideration you may want to get some other opinions though. I do have a giant Madagascan Hognose, I wouldn't recommend that one. That is one of my snakes that I never let my kids hold. He has never bit me, (only because I give him a lot of respect) but half of the time requires to be hooked out. He still hoods from time to time which is pretty cool looking, but I try not to piss him off. It is usually only when he is about to shed. He is kind of like a pet shop rescue. His first owners didn't treat him right and he got pretty aggressive. He was already a yearling when I got him. But talk about a feeding response. This guy is VERY aggressive when food is present.
4/26/05 11:32 AM
josh23

I have also had gophers in the past. You can look into the different subs. I have seen a baja gopher, an albino baja, and an applegate albino. All of them looked good. The albino baja was stunning. You might want to be sure you pick them up young though, to make sure you get a tame one. Mine would hiss and rattle from time to time, but NEVER struck. One thing is for sure though, if you do end up getting a cali you should never have an eating problem. Mine would eat herself to death if I let her.
4/26/05 11:36 AM
wizbang

Cool. I caught a beautiful orange hoggie at my wifes school here in Illinois. Hooded up and struck without ever opening up it's mouth. Never did play dead. Western Hog would be cool but I'm soooo pickey. I'd like a little more size than that. Why? I don't know really. Basically when I detail what I want, I'm detailing the corns snakes that I gave away two weeks ago. Damn Georgia law.
4/26/05 12:33 PM
josh23

Yep. That's the reason corns are pretty much the perfect starter snake. All positives, no negatives. It's hard to get all the good features of a corn in another species. At least in a small species.
4/26/05 1:30 PM
wizbang

Edited: 26-Apr-05 01:30 PM
Makes me think back to some of the dog tame boa's me and my friends have had over the years. .....but I just don't have the space. Meaning the right sized tank. I actually have the space in the house.
4/26/05 1:39 PM
josh23

I trust my boa's as much as my corn snakes. But yeah, they do require space.
4/27/05 1:04 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 27-Apr-05
Yeah i had posted those pics a while back. Another great option are the Milksnakes. I'm quite taken with my Tangerine Honduran, he seems to have all the good qualities of my King but has never once tried to defecate on me. Plus they are just so damn stunning to look at. I can't find any of my tangerine pics but an example is in order methinks ;-) They can be a bit skittish as babies but as adults they have a very cornsnake temperament.
4/27/05 1:07 AM
Spankenstyne

Hondurans also get a bit larger than corns, with some topping out at 6 feet. The pooping/musking thing is really a non issue, if and when it happens it's no big deal. It stinks but you rinse it off and all is fine.I only really found it happened with the king when she wasn't being handled regularly and i's just reach in unannounced and pull her out.
4/27/05 9:42 AM
wizbang

Cool. I still lean, cal king but now I know what to expect. Believe Georgia excludes all Milks.
4/28/05 3:11 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 28-Apr-05
You won't regret it, great snakes.
4/28/05 11:25 AM
wizbang

Edited: 28-Apr-05
...although it seems like they'd have a hard time proving that a "Honduran" Mike was native to GA. haha. I'll post pics in a couple months when I actually live there in a house with my family and have a new snake.
4/29/05 12:35 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 29-Apr-05
Might be one of those stupid rules like they have up here in Alberta.. Basically any species they deem could possibly survive up here is outlawed too lol.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.