UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Do most TMA guys know about MMA?

4/26/05 7:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-05

Do you think most TMA guys know about MMA? I have a cousin (who I'm not close with) who teaches karate and I often wonder if he knows about MMA.
4/26/05 11:25 PM
RapidAssault
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Apr-05
If you see him (big if), why don't you just ask him? All kidding aside, two things are possible: either they know it and choose to deny it as anything more than a barbaric, non-lethal sport, or they are kept in the dark by their master(s). Well... there is the other possibility that they know about it through their masters who tries to teach them "how to beat a MMA fighter" using your d34dly kung fu or whatever it is they learn. And then there is the small minority that develops a curiosity in MMA, but choose to continue learning their TMA as well. Nothing wrong with that, really.
4/27/05 9:45 AM
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Apr-05
I think the majority of this forum belongs to the 4th possibility. Even outside of this site, I know a number of TMA folks who follow and enjoy watching MMA, but stick with their style.
4/27/05 1:10 PM
RapidAssault

This had occured to me as I was going to bed, but I decided to go to sleep instead of booting up my computer again to type. Anyways, I probably should have inquired about what FAB meant when he said "most TMA guys" (i.e. which group are included and not). For example, yeah, there are Judo guys, Muay Thai guys, and even karate guys that knows about MMA and choose to continue on with their style. And like Willybone, I know people who practice these arts, knows what MMA is, enjoys watching MMA, and even doing MMA to some extent, but sticks to practicing their own style. Then again, Judo, Muay Thai,and karate (and a number of "combat sport") don't represent "most" TMAs. When you say "most" I get all the other TMAs in mind (kung fu, tai chi, ninjustu, TKD, Tang Soo Do, Hwarang-do, etc.). I guess the inquiry to FAB probably doesn't really matter. Either way, I don't think that this post really changed those 4 possibilities that I've mention all that much.
4/27/05 2:42 PM
FloridaArm Bar
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I said TMA I was mainly meaning styles such as karate, kung fu, tae kwon do, tnag soo do, etc. I didn't even really think of judo and mt as TMA's. But the actually are aren't they.
4/27/05 5:54 PM
Willybone
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twice I've been able to introduce a whole room full of TMA practictioners (HKD and Eagle Claw) to MMA through "Choke". Both times, they enjoyed it a lot, especially anything with Rickson and Yuki Nakai.
No one said, "I'm moving to Renzo's tomorrow" when it was over. I think it made them take takedowns and submissions more seriously, though.
4/27/05 9:35 PM
Naughty Gorilla

In China, there is a small MMA movement picking up steam
5/4/05 4:39 PM
FloridaArm Bar

Edited: 04-May-05
But what about the inside Cresent Kick?
5/9/05 6:36 PM
Mule
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-May-05
I guess I've just been lucky. But the guys I've trained with in Goju Karate over the years have been crosstraining for years. Hell I saw 3 old blackbelts that used to beat my ass when I was a kid at a mixed kickboxing/mma tourney about 8 or 10 months ago. Now granted all the old school guys I used to train under were hardcore guys. Most of them were big farm boy types, you sparred full contact with head and groin shots allowed although they didn't allow leg kicks (yeah it's kind of crazy that you can get your balls busted but getting kicked in the thigh hurts too much), and these guys had been training some Judo for since they started. I even taugh what little I knew to some black belt frieds of mine when I was still around. It just goes to show that it doesn't matter what your style is along as you are willing to learn.
5/19/05 3:59 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 19-May-05
I think most TMA guys who "know" about MMA think it's like the WWF.
5/19/05 4:41 PM
8LimbsScientist

Edited: 19-May-05
Most TMA guys I know know about MMA. Some enjoy watching, some don't.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.