UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Aikido

4/27/05 5:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
timmarine
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 27-Apr-05

Just wondering if it was worth giving it a try or not?
4/30/05 8:39 AM
gakami

Edited: 30-Apr-05
dunno.. what are you looking for in martial arts training?
5/4/05 3:30 PM
Willybone
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-05
That was a cool post, I_C_F. I've had similar experience

I took hapkido, which could be over-simplified as aikido meets tae kwon do. When I moved into judo, my sensei was shocked at how well I could roll and fall. "Look everybody! White belt has best technique!" I also had some intuition about kazushi (breaking balance) that let me throw other whitebelts around just by pulling them into their weak direction. Some of the black belts were cool and would let me do an occassional wrist lock on the ground, too.

Overall, though, I don't think I'd rely on aiki specific techniques in a real fight. My kazushi skills didn't fool a judo BB for a second. My wrist locks were easily foiled by some stiff resistence. I'm too burnt to act instantaneously.

Still it's a cool art, and I may return to it (or one of its derivatives) someday.
5/20/05 3:05 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 20-May-05
I think of all the martial arts, aikido is the best when it comes to meeting girls.
5/23/05 2:29 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 23-May-05
But that's better than most other martial arts, where it's 95% guys! Aikido is the singles bar scene of the martial arts world! You're right about yoga, though [tries on leotard and preens in front of mirror].
5/23/05 5:20 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 23-May-05
So, in other words, at 50, you are no longer "young, dumb and full of cum".
5/27/05 8:26 PM
karasu

Edited: 27-May-05
I always enjoy still pictures of Aikido waza.
5/28/05 8:47 PM
springy palm

Edited: 28-May-05
I don't know where you live, but if you live in boston, then you should check out Jason Delucia's school. Jason teaches an modern form of aikido where he teaches his students to how to react when your opponent is fully resisting. Jason himself is an MMA fighter that has converted to being an aikido practioner. Ever since his convertion he has fought one fight, which he has won. If you want to know more about Jasons form of aikido go to his website at WWW.AIKIDOG.COM. If you don't live in boston, I sugest to go to an school that is part of the Tomiki branch of aikido because they have there own competition that is similar to judo but uses aiki techniques.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.