UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Half Guard Help.......

4/28/05 10:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rainman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Apr-05

Hi Roy, although this is a new profile, I have been around these forums for a long time, but its so long since i used my last profile I had to create a new one...anyway, my question is about the half guard. (my current skill level is close to Purple belt by the way, but we have no full time instructor and progress has been much slower for me because of this). Now I have some of your instructionals Roy, and they are great, but one position I stuggle with against the top guy in the club, is if I am stupid/tired/lazy enough to get put flat on my back in half guard against him, as he loves using his shoulder to try to break my jaw, then pass!! Anyone else I cope with fine with the usual sweeps etc, but against this guy I try to work butterfly half guard etc, and the usual escapes, however I find it hard to either hook under his near knee, or use my underhooked foot effectively when my head is been pushed so far to the side by his shoulder. Any tips/hints for this position? (apart from not get caught there in the first place) thanks.....Alan
4/29/05 12:10 PM
JRockwell
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Apr-05
ttt
4/29/05 6:12 PM
Rainman

Edited: 29-Apr-05
In case you don't get a chance to answer this, I have got some advise in the main forum to keep me going, but I would prefer an experts view. I guess i need to work on never letting myself get caught with the crossface, but I am still interetsed to know the best escape from here against a guy that uses this position very well. If he's passing to my right side, he uses his right hand and forehead to base to my left side really well so sweping him that side is very hard too, and when i try to get my left forearm across his throat i sometimes get keylocked.
5/7/05 8:39 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-05
Alan, Since you know this guy is really good at crushing your face from the half guard, why do you continue to place him into your half guard? Why not let him pass and go to your knees? Additionally, what does he do (consistently) that allows him to get to this position? Do you know what movements he uses with success? can you stop these movements? I know you said you didn't want advice that talked about "not letting him get to this position", but that is the best advice. Also, if he consistently gets to this position (on you and others), maybe this is a strength of his that no one at your academy can defeat. If that is the case, then there's not much I can tell you. This kind of things happens every so often. Someone trains the heck out of one thing and becomes the academy FREAK at one thing. In other words, this person can do this one thing with everyone at the academy. And if that is the case, then you will have to be satisfied with giving him this position....until you can become more proficient at your guard control. Now, what guard control do you use? Do you combine this guard controlling method with other guard controlling methods? Also, are you different guard controlling methods at the same skill level? In other words, is your clolsed guard control skill at the same level as your open guard? How about your bbutterflty guard control? Is that the same as the other guard control methods? If they are not all equal, then maybe you have a weakness in your game that he is exploiting. Finally, if he is still getting to the half guard and driving his right shoulder into your neck, get in the habit of turning your head to yoru left and bridging as hard and as fast as you can. NOTE: Make sure to turn your head to the left BEFORE he begins to apply pressure on your neck. Doing so after he has already applied pressure will be impossbile. Try the above, yet give me some feedback on the above questions. Roy Harris
5/10/05 5:32 AM
Rainman

Edited: 10-May-05

Thanks for that Roy......and you are right, he's definitely the academy freak for that position/pass. It's interesting that your first suggestion is to just let him pass and escape during the transition, because that's exactly what I was thinking would be a better option!

"Additionally, what does he do (consistently) that allows him to get to this position? Do you know what movements he uses with success? can you stop these movements"?

This question, and your other questions, have made me take a step back and look further back up the 'chain of events' to see what i am doing that always leads to this situation. It goes like this......He has good posture in guard and is very difficult to do anything with from closed guard......and sure I can lye there and hold him (for a while at least) but it's inevitable that my guard will be opened so I don't waist my energy, I open up and go to open guard, which is one of my stronger positions anyway. I like to play an open flowing game, constantly changing feet and grips, he is the oposite, very tight and controlled, and therein lies the problem.....against most the others, I will pretty much always get a sweep or sub from my open gurad, but against this guy he is smart and knows it's my strength so he clamps down tight and likes to pass very controlled and tight......then I end up putting him in my half guard rather than let him pass......then that's how we end up there. So it's kind of like this.....(and I think I do this with others too)....I play open guard but as soon as I get into trouble I go to half guard. Maybe, as you suggest, i should start drilling getting to my knees instead as people begin to pass? Or perhaps pull him back to closed guard again. My Butterfly guard is not strong, it may get me out of trouble from the half guard against lighter guys, but againstn the heavier guys my technique is not good enough yet.

5/13/05 2:42 AM
chickenfeet
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-05
"...against this guy he is smart and knows it's my strength so he clamps down tight and likes to pass very controlled and tight......then I end up putting him in my half guard rather than let him pass..." What, exactly, is he clamping down on? Is he clamping around your chest? Around your legs? Around one leg? Exactly What kind of pass is he using?
5/16/05 6:17 AM
Rainman

Edited: 16-May-05
He likes to 'dive' in, grab around my waist, head down tight against my belt, trapping one of my legs by using his knee against my shin to pin my leg tight to my butt, and pass. So rather than give him that, i usually try to get half guard instead.
5/18/05 5:24 PM
chickenfeet
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-May-05
rainman would you say he is passing over your legs (by sliding a knee over one of your legs), under your legs (by getting one or both legs on top of his shoulders), or around your legs (by pushing your legs one way or holding them in one place, and running around)?
5/19/05 9:06 AM
Rainman

Edited: 19-May-05
Always tight to me, one knee over my thigh. The point is this, it's not what pass he tries......its the fact that I use H/G as a safety net....I can usually get it no matter which pass he uses, thats why i end up there so much. I think getting to my knees more as he passes might be a better option.
5/22/05 2:12 PM
jonpall

Edited: 22-May-05
Hey Rainman! Other people have asked this question here before and these were their answers: http://s89065344.onlinehome.us/savedthreads/half%20guard%20secrets.htm In particular, check out "exjudoka's" answers (Stephan Kesting). Hope this helps, jonpall.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.

Only Pro Members and Moderators are allowed to post to this thread. Upgrade to a Pro Member account today!