UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Scenario Running

4/29/05 11:06 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Marc McLellan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 29-Apr-05

I have much enjoyed running in the last year or so. I run with a heart rate monitor and run at (or just under 70% (which is the difference between easy and hard). Without getting into running, I run while playing various scenarios in my head. I tend to focus on past close calls and job related type scenarios (I work in a Federal Prison). I "play" the portion ‘just prior to' and ‘the actual attack' (the part you don't have time to think about). These scenarios cause my heart rate to jump, which trains that emotional content. A great drill for someone that trains alone. I have been doing this for a few years but previously only focused on protecting my family. Anyone do anything like this? Marc
4/29/05 11:58 PM
P

Edited: 29-Apr-05
Marc, I wrote a related article a number of years ago. You can see it in the articles section on: www.blauertactical.com All great fighters/athletes visualize, it's been a MASSIVE tool for me especially developing fight-ready cardio. 3-D training all the way... P.
5/1/05 8:26 PM
JMullings

Edited: 01-May-05
Yes, scenario training even in "your mind" can raise your heart rate. Running to increase your heart rate, will raise it in a different fashion and have different physiological affects than an increased heart rate due to a hormonal release. Puting your body under stress while attempting to create scenarios is a great training tool. Just be sure you are attempting to replicate or simulate appropriately Joe M
5/2/05 9:48 AM
Marc McLellan

Edited: 02-May-05
I used to conduct my scenarios as I finished strong on my runs. With nothing left, I would simulate scenarios involving protecting my family. Now, I run at 70% of maximum hr and conduct scenarios involving: Protecting my family Suprising inmates with hooch, drugs, etc. Being ambushed by a shank or sissy shank Most of my scenarios involve confined spaces. I figure if I had room to plan and fight I would not need as much mental rehersal. Also, while running, I attempt to keep my heart rate calm vs. attempting to run all out. I feel in a crisis situation I will definately have to think and this is better done while calm. So as I run at 70%, my scenario thinking kicks in, then I attempt to keep my hr down while dealing with the violence. I conduct scenarios in all but combat type training. It just does not feel right to prepare for the ambush while squaring off wearing boxing gloves. At least here, the inmate will never give you that luxury. I hope this makes sense. Marc
5/8/05 3:10 AM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 08-May-05
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Good stuff MArc. We've done this sort of thing for years. The next level would be to include tactical drills with the elevated heart rate to teach your body that it can access complex motor skills during states of physiological arousal. If you can, run with a partner and at agreed to points, sprint a bit, and jump right into some tactical force-on-force drills inspired by the scenarios you know you'll likely face, just work 10-20 second anerobic bursts and then get right into your run again. Throw these in and itll take the experience to the next level. Tony

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.