UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Gear you wish you still had....

5/1/05 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-May-05

Well.....had a thread idea but no sad story. well.......there was this Danelectro les paul copy with onboard effects.
5/1/05 11:43 PM
sosleepy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-May-05
Hey, I had a Degas les paul copy with onboard effects. Tore it apart years ago.
5/2/05 2:54 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02-May-05
The first guitar I ever owned was a late 70's or early 80's Electa (I think it was) with onboard effects like whirlwind, fuzz, echo, tremolo. It had so many buttons and knobs, I loved it. Myy brother traded it in on a Les Paul Standard when I moved to Florida. Little bastard!
5/3/05 1:32 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-05
I wish I still had my old Fender Champ. Bought new for Christmas in '77. I wish I still had my Gallian Krueger 250ML. I built it and Tino DeLeon(good friend and GK engineer) tweaked the gain,chorus,and delay to my taste. It was a great amp that I had to sell for rent one bad winter. I bought a replacement for sentimental reasons years later, but it paled by comparison. Beav, those Eletra MPC guitars were F'n cool! Did you have the "Tank Tone" module?
5/4/05 11:00 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-05 11:05 AM
My mistake, it was a Univox. I can't believe I found a picture! My second guitar was an Electra LP Copy. http://www.univox.org/pics/guitars/lp_fx.jpg Les Paul FX (1) - Les Paul copy with active elctronics and on-board FX, 2 humbuckers with metal covers, 3 knobs, volume, tone, speed. Volume also acts as an off switch when turned all the way down. Raised pickguard, headphone jack, switches for phase (in/out), effects (on/off) and the following effects: echo, tremolo, wah, whirlwind (rotovibe??), fuzz. I have been informated that this was probably made by Kay.
5/5/05 10:29 AM
DasBeaver

Edited: 05-May-05
Hey Ponyboy, Whats the story with Danny Gatton's classical guitar?
5/8/05 10:11 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-May-05
It is a yamaha classical that "dead jerry" left at a house I rented in arlington va. I'm not sure if Jerry was Danny's full time tech or just happened to be freshening this classical but he did say it belonged to danny gatton. He was a friend of a roomate and came by with some very nice guitars on occasion so this one was no big deal considering it looked exactly like the "Combo" classical I had in every detail. Apparently, Jerry found heroin and OD'd a few weeks after his first date with the drug so he was unable to pick it up and I doubt anybody in Danny's camp even missed a yamaha classical or even knew where to find it. Anyway......Danny killed himself a few weeks later. It's nothing special and has a kind of thin sound but this may be that I decided to string it with super light augustine strings to make sure it doesn't bow.
1/26/10 2:38 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the oldest thread in my archive, and it deserves to be ttt'ed.

I have a bunch of wierd gear. Gotta find the best place to sell it.
1/26/10 1:18 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatcha got?

I`ve let so much cool shit go through my hands it`s pitiful. Small list:

1957 Fender Vibrolux

1931 National Duolian

1951 Gibson J45

1953 Gibson J50

1957 Fender 10 string Steel.

1950`s National Resophonic (the little red electric resonator)

3 Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverbs

Several other balckface fender amps (Super, Twin, etc)

1936 Gibson L-00 in MINT condition

Old Brass bodied Dobro

and the list goes on and on...*sigh*
1/26/10 10:05 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An Ibanez I sold to Mick from Slipknot a few years back. It was a shred machine.
1/29/10 5:57 PM
screwuguys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Good thread
1/29/10 9:39 PM
whtblt4eva
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had an old Ampeg V4 that I got dirt cheap in the mid 90's. My friends made fun of me because of how old and "non-metal" it looked and sounded, so I sold it for $200. It was my first tube amp and I had no idea how awesome it truly was.

I had a Peavey 5150 amp head (the one with Eddie's signature) that I sold so that I could buy a piece of crap Honda CRX from a junkyard. Man, I loved that amp so much I'm thinking about buying a 6505.

My main ax for a long time was an Ibanez Roadstar II that i routed and put in a couple EMG 81's. I painted it awful neon colors and covered it with stickers and took it on a few tours with me. Eventually, it got smashed on stage.

1/29/10 9:43 PM
whtblt4eva
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right now my brother's friend is selling a 1965 Gibson Les Paul (it's shaped like an SG, or maybe it's an SG that says Les Paul on it) to pay for recording equipment. He will definitely regret that!
2/2/10 10:51 AM
Nostradumbass

Painful memories. I may have the saddest example here.

My top painful memory is definitely the double neck Ibanez with gold hardware(with a huge f'n case) that I bought off of Alphonso Johnson back when he was my neighbor (he was in Santana at the time). He said it belonged to Bob Weir. At the time, I had no idea who that was (I know....a true disgrace to teenage potheads.). He also sold a Fender P-Bass and Full Bass stack to an Indian family in the nieghborhood for $200. I reget losing out on that deal... When Alphonso moved, his wife brought me a box of cool equipment- Phase 90 pedals, other cool effects, cables and a bunch of cool stuff I failed to hold onto over the years. What a nice guy he was...

I traded the Ibanez (awesome playing and sounding, but not very portable) for a horrible Charvel (I was all about the metal back in the day). The Ibanez has to be worth thousands and thousands now... Worst deal ever. I've tried not to be stupid since.

VOX amp. My homeless buddy picked up a VOX or $5 at a garage sale. It was missing both speakers. Since he needed money, I gave him about $500 in cash and trade for it. I put a pair of greenbacks in it and sold it for $1000. That thing was sweet.

Old Squire Telecaster and Ibanez RG550. I sold them to my friend for dirt cheap and both played and sounded great. I decided not to be nice to my friends after that. The 550 was probably better than my Custom and the Squire was almost as good as my ESP telecaster.

I sold my 5150 head and Marshall cab when my daughter was born.... Over time, I'm sure I'll grieve over those as well.

I just gave my classical Ovation to my gardener for $100 and now I find myself missing it as well...

And I'm sure I can think of many more after I stop crying about the above...
2/10/10 9:08 AM
lordbreakdown
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/10/10 9:09 AM
ff
 ffg 
2/15/10 1:26 AM
sreiter

damn hillbilly -

1956 vibrolux
1930's fiddle edge dobro
1963 es-355
2/15/10 1:28 AM
sreiter

Nostradumbass - Painful memories. I may have the saddest example here.

not even close to the $$ value of hillbillys...and not remotely as rare
2/16/10 11:10 AM
Racer X

Actually if that doubleneck could be connected to Bob Wier directly it could well be worth more than that set of amp and guitars. Bob's guitars aren't worth Garcia money, but Dead Heads pay shitloads for certified gear. It could fetch tens of thousands easily. Jerry's guitars fetched hundreds of thousands,there is precident.

And rare? If it was Bob's personal instrument, it's the prototype,one of a kind.
2/17/10 10:20 AM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You would have to have documentation proving it was Bob`s..

I bought most of list before the vinatage craze. I paid $500.00 for the `51 J45, $700. for the Duolian and $150. for the Vibrolux.... Makes me feel even more stupid for trading/selling them off. That J45 is probably $4-5K now.

Honestly I was working as a musician alot and old vintage guitars feel like relics to me.. Every little bonk or ding is an "OH SHIT" moment..
2/17/10 12:53 PM
Racer X

"You would have to have documentation proving it was Bob`s.."

Which is why I mentioned "certified" in my post. Photo's and a letter from Bob would do it.

Nostradumbass, is this the right style?

This guy owns the guitar that was played by Gerry Beckley of the band America.
2/19/10 8:28 AM
Hillbilly

gawd thats an ugly guitar. Fun to play I bet!
2/19/10 9:42 PM
Nostradumbass

Yikes- that is one UGLY looking double neck above.

Actually, it looked almost identical to this one:

http://www.farlake.com/guitar/ibanez_artist2neck-large.jpg
2/19/10 9:47 PM
Nostradumbass

Here's a picture with Bob playing a doubleneck- this may have been the same one, but I don't remember it looking exactly like this:

http://kippel.com/artshow/images/photos/062.jpg
2/24/10 10:49 PM
DaveM

My first guitar (Yamaha Pacifica 120SD)
3/11/10 1:05 AM
KingBodhi
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fender (Japan) with original Floyd Rose from the 80s

Fender 52 Bassman Reissue

Ratco Distortion Pedal

Les Paul Junior Pearl White from 1992

Vox Teardrop 12 String

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.