UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Man crushed by pet

5/3/05 7:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mini monst
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-05

This happened in a small country town about a hour from where I live, was reported in yesterdays paper... POLICE suspect a pet snake is responsible for the death of a man found yesterday in his Tanunda home. The body of professional snake handler Erik Attmarrsson was discovered at his Mattiske Rd property by a work colleague from nearby Venom Supplies. Police said marks on the face of the 28-year-old, from Sweden, could be consistent with being crushed to death by a snake he kept in an enclosure at the property. Officers were searching for his pet Queensland native scrub python, which can grow to an average of about 5m, because it had disappeared from its secure enclosure. Police said they would not reveal any more details before an autopsy was conducted at the Forensic Science Centre in Adelaide today to determine the cause of death. While it is believed Mr Attmarrsson did not have any pre-existing medical conditions, it is understood he had consumed a large amount of alcohol before his death. Police last night would not comment on if this may have contributed to his death. Mr Attmarrsson last June beat 150 applicants for the exotic snake curator's position at the Tanunda-based anti-venene business. It is believed he lived alone near his work place, home to hundreds of venomous snakes milked for anti-venene production. Police were called to the Mattiske Rd property about 1.15pm yesterday. It is believed he died sometime between Friday night and yesterday when he was found. Nuriootpa CIB detectives could not find a Queensland Native Scrub Python he is believed to have kept as a pet. The snakes grow to an average of about 5m, but have been recorded at up to 8.5m in length in Australia. Mr Attmarrsson, when he began work with Venom Supplies, told The Leader he had kept non-venomous snakes since he was 10. "I had to nag my parents for a while to get a snake," he told the newspaper. "I'm happy they let me get one because they are fascinating animals to watch." Police said there were several snake enclosures inside and outside Mr Attmarrsson's home and snakes were free inside the property. Director of the Australian Reptile Park, John Wiegel, said he had not heard of anyone in Australia being crushed to death by a snake but said it did happen overseas where the pythons were much bigger. "There have been a number of incidences overseas where a snake has got confused and the person is asphyxiated and has died, but we've never come close to that in Australia," he said. "This species does get pretty confused sometimes." http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,15148126%255E910,00.html

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.