UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Quicktime 7 Problems

5/3/05 10:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lynn@Renzos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-May-05

I don't know if any of you have upgraded to Quicktime 7, but if you haven't I would hold out! It killed my system. If you use ProTools or Peak...avoid it as it isn't compatible with those as well as other audio programs. It killed my Final Cut Pro HD as well. Basically, from Saturday until now, I have been rebuilding my editing system because of this damn program! It's all over the editing/filmmaking forums. Just giving you guys a head's up.
5/5/05 7:48 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 05-May-05
somepeople haven't had problems, but there are enough that apple released a de-install 7/re-install of 6.5.2 update. It has killed a ton of people. I just finished getting everything back in order yesterday exept for a couple of last programs I have to install.
5/11/05 11:55 AM
Willybone
444 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-May-05
I just went Tiger last week. I haven't had any QT 7 problems, luckily, but I didn't realize that I'd lose my Pro status that 6.5 had.
I hope the upgrade isn't full price.
5/11/05 12:02 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Willybone...do you use ProTools?
5/11/05 4:59 PM
Willybone
444 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nope, just iMovie and QT Pro.
I do like the new additions to iMovie in iLife2.
5/11/05 6:21 PM
Lynn@Renzos

ProTools is an audio program. It doesn't work with Q7 installed.
5/12/05 7:07 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 12-May-05 07:27 AM
Thanks for the warning Lynn. I just about upgraded and then read this. Some friends are having problems too with QT7 and FCPHD. I really would like to try the new H.264 codec however since I'm in the process of making DVDs for festivals etc. What codec would you do? None, Animation, Photo-JPEG, Pixlet, or upgrade to QT7 (i suppose Tiger too) and do H.264? Source media is Digibeta (shot on 35mm). 17min live action short. Using FCPHD and DVDSP3. Thanks. edited: it appears that dvdsp can't work with "None" or Pixlet. Is this true? That would surely make no sense ("None" that is). http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/dvdstudiopro/specs.html
5/12/05 10:20 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 12-May-05
I would highly suggest staying away from that upgrade for now. I had to re-install my whole system. It sucked! I don't use any codec. If I'm going to DVD, I output staight from Compressor. I never have any problems in the slightest with DVDSP3 going this route. I just go high quality mpeg-2 and have never had any problems. What are you outputting from HD to before going to DVDSP?
5/12/05 12:17 PM
asymmetrik

sorry i wasn't clear. i meant what codec/compression to use for capture/digitize. my completed film is on tape. i'll digitize it in FCPHD with whatever codec (found out i haven't been able to do "None" because of dropping frames because of the speed of firewire?). i then open DVDSP3 and drag the quicktime file that i just captured into DVDSP, make menus, burn. i just want to get the highest quality possible. Because of current disk space issues and the fact that i can't do "None", I just did Animation 100%, which resulted in a 19.93GB file for a 17 minute movie. Hopefully it will look nice on DVD. Earlier I made some DVDs from a DV/NTSC DV/DVCPRO - NTSC codec and they looked like utter shit. I will steer clear of QT7 until it's all solved. Am I doing this all bassackwards?
5/12/05 2:47 PM
Lynn@Renzos

You seem to be going backwards. You don't have an SDI card for capturing your digibeta footage uncompressed? How are you getting your footage in? Just hooking into your firewire port with no decklink or capture card? You'll need additional hardware for higher quality/ uncompressed footage. Then edit it in an uncompressed 10bit timeline. You could also capture as DV files and use those as an offline edit and when you online edit capture with the digibeta tapes since you have the timecode.
5/12/05 3:06 PM
asymmetrik

thanks for the clarification, Lynn. next time i have to get a post production supervisor. this whole finishing/post part really irks me. yea, i ended up having to use my DVCAM dub since the facility i used didn't have Digibeta decks available (ahh, grad film school. grr). So I went DVCAM in via firewire, DV/NTSC 48kHz, Animation Codec 100%. am doing a test burn now...encoding assets... i suppose it'll be better quality than the previous. i just hope the colors look decent. after all it's just for actors/crew and festival submission. which will then play on 35mm or Digibeta. i plan on getting real DVDs made from a facility eventually. Know of any good deals in the city? Postworks has been my favorite but am always looking for a better rate.
5/12/05 3:32 PM
Lynn@Renzos

I am in the midst of editing myself and it is hell. I just popped in another tape for more log and capture. Well over 100 hours of interviews have to be L/C'd before I really get going. I'm editing it all into a 23.98 timeline so I will have quite a bit of rendering on the 60i B-Roll. You should have looked at DCTV, they have digibeta decks there that you could use I believe. I would bet that your quality is going to be fine though. I'd love to see what you did sometime with this, if possible. How many DVDs are you looking to make? You want replication, not duplication correct? Diskmaker just came out with a $990 replication special for 300 discs. That's not a great price per disc but that is the lowest number for true replication that I have seen. Most have a minimum of 1000 discs. Let me know how your test burn goes. Post is hell!
5/13/05 11:12 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 13-May-05
Thanks for the tip about DCTV. I'll definitely check them out. Yea, replication is what I'm looking for, probably will want to make about 100-300, though I need to have them re-acquire the video straight from tape uncompressed since i'm not liking what's happening to the color saturation on the discs i'm burning. Don't get me wrong, the Animation codec is a million times better looking than the DV/DVCPRO - NTSC. I didn't notice any artifacting or any other problems, but the color saturation just bugs the hell out of me becuase i know it looks great on tape... hrm. Maybe I can get it to look better if I RTFM because I was guessing about setting the video bitrate. 9, 9 (max) failed so I ended up doing 7, 8 (max) in DVDSP. I'd love to show you the film sometime. I'll let you know when I've got it right and will get you a copy. Might be another screening coming up too. Thanks again and best of luck wading through your footage! Your doc is going to be fantastic.
8/3/05 11:19 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03-Aug-05
The CSPT
Too bad about QTP7. I was going to upgrade soon. I just went thru a nightmare with Drums From Hell Superior. It caused my Reason to not work and messed up the midi connection for Logic. I sold it on ebay. I have six MACs, all G3's and G4's, and I'm very iffy about moving to a new G5 since my systems are soooo dialed in. Demi www.DemiBarbito.com
8/4/05 5:16 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 04-Aug-05
They may have it upgraded soon. If you run logic etc. I would avoid it for now though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.