UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Ego

5/4/05 9:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ahlong
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-May-05

This is a repost from another forum I run (http://groups.myspace.com/rbma). A member posted the following, entitled "Martial Artist Self-Discipline" - I've posted the original post and my reply to this. No one else has yet replied to this topic on the other forum, and other than that, I'm really interested to see alternative viewpoints from my own, especially Tony's, on the topic. Regards, Trevor ("Ah-Long") Original: "Avoiding fights and having strong self discipline is what this topic is about. Aside from the legal rammifications and the person maybe having a gun or whatever, is there any point in avoiding a fight? My friend gave me his view on this the other night. It's that at any given moment there are an infinite number of things that could take you out, so what's the point in avoiding fights? If someone wants to start something, you may as well beat their ass. I have always had very strong self discipline and have been able to avoid many fights, but lately I haven't been wanting to as much, so I think that's why this hit me harder. I've wanted to test my skills in a real situation. I'm not going to pick a fight with anyone, but I probably won't exactly do my best to get out of it. Hmmm... Any thoughts?" My reply: "This is like saying 'you're going to die anyway, so I may as well smoke, drink, do drugs' etc, etc - well yeah you'll die someday anyway, but why bring it on early and why reduce the quality of your time on earth? You say what's the point in avoiding fights aside from the legal and potential fatality. Well, what's the point of getting in a fight other than to appease your ego? Because that's all wanting to test your skills in a real situation is - ego. Fights are really easy to avoid, and alot of the time require not much effort at all - at least here in Sydney and for me, personally - I guess it's a matter of lifestyle. So my question is why do you find yourself in a position so often that you are forced to choose to fight or avoid? Do you go looking for it or does your behaviour attract it? I've quoted Coach Blauer before in that 'prey behaviour induces predator activity'; the Yin and Yang of combat so to speak - "The Snake seeks to fix the eye of the Bird and in that moment of looking, Predator and Prey decide their fate...Victims create their own destiny". I believe the reverse is also true i.e. predator behaviour induces prey behaviour - take a rape scenario for example, what do alot of women do when they find themselves in a rape situation? They freeze in fear, quite likely panic...the rapist may say something like co-operate and I won't hurt you - so the rapee accepts the victim role only to be killed a bit later, UNLESS, the victim refuses to play the role of the victim and fights back - which is the predator/prey reversal concept. The point here is the behaviour inducement of the predator / prey - one will bring out the other. And I may be making inferences here when I say this, but if you're wanting to test your skills out for real, it's an indicator of predator behaviour - perhaps not so sociopathic, but a bully nonetheless - and given that you're already in that mindset, I don't believe it would take much for someone to set you off - you're just waiting for someone to look at you the wrong way. I may be exaggerating here, but I'm just trying to make a point. If you really analyse the character "bu" from "budo", which we know to mean martial arts, you can see it's made up of two components - one component is a halberd or spear of some sort, which in Chinese characters represent anything to do with combat, and the other part of the character means 'to stop'. Together, 'budo' then is the way of stopping war / conflict / combat. Why do we train to fight then? Steven Seagal said it perfectly in that we have to be strong enough to stop war, otherwise we get warred upon. So what we call warriors are warriors of peace; we fight to take out the scum and we never fight unless we have to. My advice is to really analyse your reason for training in the martial arts and your lifestyle, if you find yourself always having to choose between fighting and avoidance. If you really want to fight - do it professionally, in the ring or octagon. Fight someone trained - allowing yourself to get in a fight with anyone else in the street when it could have been avoided is less than honourable (especially since you are trained), making you a street thug and when it boils down to it, a criminal. My two cents, Ah-Long"
5/5/05 9:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ahlong
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-May-05
update at http://groups.myspace.com/rbma

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.