UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Confucianism REN Question

5/6/05 12:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chang
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-May-05

To anyone who knows about Confucius and his philosophy... How did the concept of Ren in Cofucianism influence Chinese culture in the Sung Dynasty? To me, it makes sense to look at a principle that represents the epitome of a philosophy and see what role that concept played in its adaptation and evolution to new situations. Confucianism was losing ground in the third century AD and continued its fall until the Sung Dynasty with Neo-Confucianism. How did the idea of Ren help accomplish this?
5/6/05 10:42 AM
FudoMyoo

I have no clue, but I would like to find out as well.

so ttt

5/6/05 11:38 AM
vermonter
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i could take a look at my notes and hazard a guess, but that's not what you want. if you're really interested i can forward this to my chinese philo professor and try to get an answer from her. it would take a while considering finals week is next week. -doug-
5/6/05 12:32 PM
Chang

haha, thanks I been reading a lot and it is wierd how difficult it is to find any solid answer on this. It would seem logically that there would be a book or something that deals with this specifically. I heard about ren all the time as a kid, they teach it in school and everything...strange that they don't have something that deals specifically for it. Or maybe I just haven't found it yet.
6/28/05 3:14 PM
Sun Wu Kung

Edited: 28-Jun-05
That is an extremely specific question that I wouldn't know how to begin to answer. Having said that it is interesting to see the selfless ren ideals as a marked difference to the Western philosophies of self improvement and arete.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.