UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Learning more about lighting?

5/6/05 4:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aaron Little
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06-May-05 04:22 PM

As a video producer I am completely self taught. Forums and OJT has been my primary source of education. Of course I still have a LOT to learn but the place I feel that I am the most lacking at this point in time is lighting.

I primarily do two types of video, Event (MMA shows) and Training videos. Obviously I am stuck with the available lighting At MMA events. What I am stuck on is how to light a room for a training video where the people doing the teaching are moving all over the place. I realize I need to move on past the halogen work lights I have now but I would like to learn a little bit more before I invest in lights I can not use.
5/6/05 5:27 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 06-May-05 05:27 PM
You need to check out this book: "Placing Shadows: Lighting Techniques for Video Production" by Gloman/LeTourneau on Focal Press Publications. This is an amazing book and will help you a ton.
5/6/05 5:48 PM
Aaron Little

Edited: 06-May-05
Awesome! Thanks Lynn. I will head over to Amazon and check it out now.
5/6/05 6:25 PM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 06-May-05
No problem.
5/7/05 6:26 AM
djdb

Edited: 07-May-05
The main thing you're going to want to do is set up diffuse light to fill the room, for example using a softbox. Work lights are focused & harsh; that's half the battle right there. The other half is finding a camera that can deal with poor lighting conditions. Next time you're at a televised sporting event, look at the gear they're using to function under the same lighting environments you are. -r
5/9/05 1:47 AM
Aaron Little

Edited: 09-May-05
Thanks djdb

What suggestions does everyone have in regards to purchasing a starter light kit?
5/9/05 2:04 AM
Lynn@Renzos

I think that a great starter kit is to pick up 1 Omni and 2 Tota Lights from Lowell. This is a great set up. Obviously you will need 3 umbrellas and 3 stands.
5/9/05 2:38 AM
Aaron Little

Of course cost is an issue but I want to make sure I don't go so cheap that I end up with crap. What would a ball park price be for what you have recommended (umbrellas and stands included)?

This is my ignorance talking but could I then add a softbox as an attachment to one of these lights?
5/9/05 2:45 AM
Lynn@Renzos

You could estimate around $600 for this. You could add a soft box as well.
5/9/05 3:13 AM
Aaron Little

Would that be something like this? http://www.lowel.com/kits/toGo98.html
5/9/05 9:59 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 09-May-05 10:07 AM
Similar but that runs 2 omni and one tota. I like the other way around but that would be a great set up as well. Check this one out and add a couple more umbrellas. Lowel Kit I would probably build my own and avoid the gels. You won't need them so why include them.
5/9/05 10:17 AM
Aaron Little

Since I am lighting ignorant……………..Why do you prefer two totas and one omni over the opposite configuration? How would the extra umbrellas work in?
5/9/05 10:52 AM
Lynn@Renzos

The umbrellas diffuse the light. The Totas function more for filling and the Omni is the one I use for the key light. Get the book that I suggested earlier. It will solve a big headache before you end up with one.
5/14/05 2:49 PM
Aaron Little

Edited: 14-May-05
I ordered the recommended book and a few others on the subject via interlibrary loan.

On a related note, last night I went to the premier of a B horror movie that was shot here in Lexington. I talked with the director and we are going to get together next week and he is going to give me a small class on lighting for video.
5/14/05 4:53 PM
asymmetrik

Edited: 14-May-05
howdy Aaron, More lighting options on the cheap: If you've found that your halogen work lamps have given you sufficient illumination on past shoots of the size you're wondering about, you can do some inexpensive things to make them look much nicer. For using your work lamps as a directional source, you can build a softbox with some black & white foam core, some 2" gaffer's tape and some sheets of diffusion (i recommend both Lee 216 and 250 depending on how much diffusion you need for the job). Take some measurements and mount it. (make vents on the top). To use your work lamps as a fill source, get yourself some bead board and bounce your lamp into it. Optionally, get yourself some chinese paper lanters (chinaballs), some porcelain sockets, some dimmers, and a variety of photoflood bulbs (150W, 250W 500W, tungsten and daylight just incase there are a ton of windows). Place these anywhere (tape them to the ceiling for your training videos) or optionally have an assistant clamp one to the end of a boom pole and he and the camera operator can move around mobile. The larger the lantern, the more area of coverage you'll get. there are a ton more options. also check out the info over at cinematography.net which is a fantastic resource. If you find you want to spend the money for decent kits, I'd recommend still using your existing lamps as needed and supplementing them with fluorescent film lights such as KinoFlo (kinoflo.com) since they require very little power and produce next to no heat. KinoFlo's Diva-Lite is amazing. Lowel also is making some film balanced fluoros as well. Their Caselight is decent (not as nice as the Diva, but still really nice) as are their Scandles. another great book you might want to check out is "The Set Lighting Technician's Handbook" by Harry C Box (yes, that's really his name :) It's a great manual and reference. It's more for gaffers & electricians, but has easy to understand sections on creative lighting as well. It is however geared toward film lighting. I've been working as a gaffer for over ten years but refer to this book all the time. good luck.
5/22/05 9:24 PM
LEMon
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-May-05
ttt great thread Where can u learn grading in post?
8/4/05 9:23 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04-Aug-05 09:24 PM
The CSPT
Aaron, Go here: http://www.dvcreators.net/lighting/ I buy everything from BHPhotoVideo.com but this website is a great learning resource. I've gone to LA to take some of thier camera, lighting and sound courses. Demi

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.