UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Nature series 1: Glacier Nat. Park

5/7/05 3:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JimmyG
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-05 03:17 PM

These are pics from the Summer of 1994, where I got a job in Glacier National Park, Montana working in one of the lodges. It's close to Banff and spans the border of the US and Canada. This period is easily the greatest Summer of my life. I drove all over the US on the way there and the way back and it introduced me to The West, which is why I live in CA now. I'll post some pics of other places I visited this Summer later on. I took 15 rolls in 3 months. ______________________________________________________ This is my buddy Adam Elliott. He's currently a freelance photographer that lives in Alaska. He's the reason I went to Glacier. We went to HS together and every Summer he would head off to work in a national park. He convinced me to go to this one. These are both pics of the best Hike I did at Glacier that Summer. We spent 5 hours climbing Mt. Gould, which is somewhere around 9,500 ft. It's got an amazing view on the way up and off the backside. This is Grinell Glacier from the backside of Mt. Gould. These 2 are from 'The Garden Wall' which you can see on your way up Gould. This is called either Haystack or Heaven's butte. I can't remember - it's also one of the sights on the way up Gould. This is some cool Mountain across from Gould. See this huge snow cornice? Our dumbasses were walking out on it and jumping on it to make it move. When we sat down for a lunch break at the top, we heard a loud thundering, ran over to where it was and it was gone. *shudders* These next two pics are of Cracker Lake. The water really is that color. It's not a developing error. The glacial rocks grind against eachother and produce what's called 'Rock Flour'. This colors the water bright blue. The first time I saw it, I couldn't stop staring at it because it was so frickin' bright and crazy looking. This is a peak in the middle of the first "long" hike I did that Summer. It was 17 miles. Towards the end I was pulling the 'Are we there yet?' on my friends Doug, Eric and Adam who were all experienced long distance hikers. I'm sure it was annoying. We got beer and pizza after. Here we are all passed out in the middle of the hike. Im the one in the striped Baja. There is no hunting in the park, and you aren't supposed to feed the animals either, but nevertheless they would come right up to you and say "What's up? You got like some nuts or some shit I could have?" At one point a big assed Elk walked right up to me and was licking my hand then he started to eat my shorts. At that point I said "NO means NO!" cont'd...
5/7/05 3:14 PM
JimmyG
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07-May-05 03:24 PM
This is my buddy Andy and I. Andy was 28, I was 23. I thought he was so fucking old. hahahaha I think now as I am about to turn 34 in 3 weeks. Anyhow...This is the middle of my last "long" hike of the Summer. The expression you see on mine and Andy's face is one of fear. We just had finished hiking 10 miles up hill, then in a spotaneous and semi retarded act, we decided to summit the Mt. that you see a little bit of behind us. The name was Mt. James and the height was like 9,300 ft. It took a big chunk of time and energy to get to the top. In fact, we were so beat at the top, that we were about 100 yards from it, and considering giving up, til I, in a Hollywood movie like fashion, said "We've come this far, no way am I quitting now." and I literally sprinted up the rest of it. Of COURSE Andy had to come now too. Anyhow, we decided to go down the backside which was horrible and full of horrible giant dangerous movable rocks(that you can see right behind us), we almost died a few times and it took forever. When we got to the bottom, we were at 'Triple Divide Pass' and we once again looked at the map - - - 18 more miles to go - - - That's why we look the way we look. We hiked 30 miles that day. This was right on the road that I lived on. I lived on Going to the Sun Road and this little spot here was called Logan's Pass. This is the view you get when you hike up to this tunnel through a mountain in the part of the park where I lived, walk through, and see the back side of the park. This is called the Many Glacier Valley. Here is a pretty waterfall also in Many Glacier. Here's a comparison/contrast of the same Mountain between when I first showed up in May, to when I left at the end of August. I remember stepping outside in the first week of June and it was snowing. ha! One week before I left - same Mt. This is a mountain from the road I lived on. I think it was called Mt. Siyeh. This is my last Sunset of the Summer. This was a little peak called Mt. Oberlin that was right at Logan's Pass. We used to always climb it - takes about 45 minutes - and get to the top to watch the Sunset. The sunlight takes a really long time to disappear, so we had plenty of time to get down safe. In this pic, you can see that the background is really smoky due to the late Summer forest fires. Also, it's getting chilly. Plus - I am drinking a water bottle filled with wine. I also did LSD and climbed this little peak. haha. Here's some of the gang I hung out with. Sadly, I haven't spoken to any of them in about 6-7 years now. The guy on the top left is my friend Brent Parnell. He was the one who told me about Royce Gracie and the UFC. We both did kung fu and were from Alabama, and happened to meet eachother there at Glacier. He was hilarious and a lot of fun. He rode back with me to AL and even years later came to my wedding. He also became an mma fighter out of AMC Birmingham. Finally - you might recognize this from the movie "The Shining". This is Wild Goose Island as seen from Going to the Sun Road, which is the road Jack, Danny and Wendy Torrance are driving up at the beginning of the movie. It was about 10 miles West of where I was living. I hope you enjoyed this. I actually have a million more pics of this trip, but sometimes when I start talking/remembering it, I actually get sad because it was such a momentous time in my life, and I'll never know it again.
5/8/05 12:06 AM
matthew
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-May-05
great! thanks
5/8/05 3:12 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow fantastic pics Skimm!
5/8/05 1:53 PM
JimmyG

Im glad you guys enjoy them. My pleasure.
5/9/05 10:18 AM
BrianG

Edited: 09-May-05
Damn. Those pics are amazing.
5/10/05 5:33 PM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 10-May-05
great pics
6/3/05 6:46 AM
JimmyG

Edited: 03-Jun-05
Are you saying I'm old fucker!?!?!
6/10/05 3:05 PM
JimmyG

Edited: 10-Jun-05
ARE YOU SAYING I WAS CALLOW! =slf;a spa jjkmm
2/9/06 10:54 PM
JimmyG

Edited: 09-Feb-06
ttt for Aaron.
2/9/06 11:10 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09-Feb-06
cool man. i might have to buy a super duper camera for this trip. except i hate walking and shit - are there golf cart rentals???
2/10/06 1:02 PM
JimmyG

Edited: 10-Feb-06
The walking is worth it!
2/14/06 10:25 PM
Aaron
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Feb-06
Fine. Thanks for the pics and info. I'd honestly never heard of Banff before being handed a very fancy invitation/gift certificate.
2/15/06 10:28 AM
Winston Wolf

Edited: 15-Feb-06
Banff is the next closest place to heaven

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.