UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> I blew this Sweet 16!

5/8/05 11:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08-May-05

I hope color corection can save my ass because I really messed up this Sweet 16 I just shot. It was in an auditorium, lit by cans, with some backlighting from flourecents. This was also a black sweet 16 which adds to the problems. My camera light worked almost well enough close up but the majority of the shoot is screwed. I shot auto iris because I couldn't see much difference manually through the viewfinder (B&W). I thought I fully understood exposure but now realize I have a lot to learn. I'm watching the capture as I type. Some parts are exceptable. But overall this is a mess. Any advice??????? Luckily this was a very cheapo job. But still, my name will be attached to this crap if I can't clean it up.
5/9/05 12:05 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Edited: 09-May-05
So if you do clean it up, your name isn't attached to it? That's funny! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Do you balance your white before you shoot? Are you shooting and monitoring using Zebra? First off, I suggest that when you are shooting, especially the zebra part if you aren't too solid on your iris stuff yet. I never use any auto settings as I think they are dangerous. What program do you edit with again? Any chance you could email me a very small file, like 15 seconds of some of it? I might be able to suggest some things. Filters can save you though. Magic Bullet for Editors is a cool package. First balance the whites and blacks, get your colors in the proper range, if you can't get close, time to think filters to salvage it.
5/9/05 11:15 AM

I white balanced on a table cloth lit by my light. I think it's just an exposure problem. I saw a friend color correct in Final Cut to match my clip (I white balanced, he didn't). He just added a preset "flouresent" filter. I'm using Premiere and have never used the color correction tools.
5/9/05 11:33 AM
Lynn@Renzos

Without seeing it, it is difficult. Can you do a screen capture and post it?
5/10/05 1:48 AM
asymmetrik

Edited: 10-May-05
howdy i recommend you do your offline on your system and then take it to your friend or somewhere you can do an CC on final cut HD. the CC tools are really impressive. matching the fluoros with the tungsten lamps will be easy enough. your underexposure problems might be unfixable. i'm not sure what the lattitude of your camera is, but if it's like most dv cameras, it's next to nothing. hopefully the information is there and you can boost the levels during your CC session.
5/10/05 11:11 PM

Edited: 10-May-05
I was drinking the night I captured (and posted this)the footage and over stated the level to which I messed it up. It's underexposed but salvagable. I have a friend that can adjust the levels as we recapture the footage. It won't be as good as shooting correctly in the first place but it'll do. This is the first time I've made a mistake like this so I kinda got carried away (the Captin Morgan didn't help my state of mind either,lol).

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.