UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Iron Palm/Bone/Shirt and Long Term

5/12/05 4:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kai Tremeche
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12-May-05

Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of Iron Palm and such training. I've heard much about how such training can actually be very detrimental to long term training because of accumulated damage.
6/14/05 12:35 PM
Iceberg Slim
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-05
It greatly depends on what type of Iron Palm you are doing. Some methods can really fuck up your hands, particularly those that encourage trainees to use hot sand, small rocks, etc during their training. When I did IP training I used buckets of soybeans (finger thrusts, various exercises, etc.) and a canvas bag filled with very soft iron pellets for striking. The majority of strikes I did focused on relaxed palm slaps, palm heel strikes, and stikes with the back of the hand on the bag, with an emphasis on breathing with the strike and staying "soft" throughout the strike. Lots of chi gung sitting meditation too. I had no real hand problems, other than the occasional whacked knuckle.
6/14/05 11:36 PM
Seul
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-05
A seasoned boxer will be able to take a great deal more punishment without near as much damage as an untrained Joe Smith. He'll also be able to hit with more power at harder targets without fucking up his hand. Your body will adapt to what stimulus it undergoes. If you regularly take or give heavy blows, your body becomes accumstomed to giving and taking heavy blows. This is what Iron palm/body is on a basic level. If you don't go apeshit about it, build up gradually, and do things to avert long term damage, you'll be fine. (playing guitar, deep breathing, stretching or rotating your finger joints, Dit da jow, etc.) You can get some of the benefits by not using bag gloves and sparring regularly, but if you go into more detail you'll get better results.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.