UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Your favorite places in your state

5/13/05 9:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cire
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-05

What are some of ya'll favorite outdoor getaways in your state?
5/13/05 9:58 PM
Cire
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-May-05

Texas

-Big Bend National Park(my fav park in Texas):

Pros:  Excellent for up to 10-14 days of camping; Cheap, beautiful scenery: desert, canyons, or mountains; abundance of fauna; endless trails with different degrees of difficulty;  Hot, but low humidity, feels great; Open skys, great place to star-gaze; Tranquil; cheap to camp; Bushwacking is off-the-hook; Great technical climbing; Good canoeing; good rafting when Mexico opens the Rio Grande; Terlingua, who's Mayor is a Beer drinking goat.

Cons:  In the middle of nowhere(sorta close to ElPaso); Water is scarce; Backcountry can be dangerous with the illegals within a stones throw; Rafting suck 90% of the time, If you forget anything, local store is outrageous;  Pay showers; Poisonous/venomous stuff everywhere

-Guadalupe National Park

Pros: Excellent for up to a week of camping; Great scenery of Mountains(Jansport logo is El Capitan in the park);  Highest peaks in Texas; Great tecnical climbing; less crowded than Big Bend;  Mckittrick Canyon with an underground stream and subtropical flora.

Cons:   Middle of nowhere; no store on site; poisonous/venomous stuff everywhere.

-Pedernales State Park

Pros:  great day/weekend camping spot near Austin; Great small canyon views;  Good for seeing wildlife and mother nature;  Good for climbing/repelling; cheap; plentiful water supply

Cons:  main areas crowded with tourists; camping can suck if not in the backcountry; hard to find. 

5/14/05 12:41 AM
Cire

Edited: 14-May-05
Palo Duro is sweet. I was debating on putting it in my top three, but there is not as much to do in the park. We always see Turkeys and a golden sunset on the side of the Canyon. Which is awesome, but I could not spend more than a day or so in the canyon. Have you see the musical Texas? I hear it is pretty cool to see your first time. I lived in San Marcos for 8 years, the Guadalupe gets old. It is good for one long toobin' trip a year. The crowds are rediculous in the summer, but the titties are top-notch! I have never been to Garner due to the crowds, but I hear good stuff. Have you ever been to Enchanted Rock? Great for weekend climbing/repelling/spelunking. The backcountry is fun. It gets hot as hell in the summer. Also in the summer, EC get over run by the whiney, bitchy yuppie Austin crowd. Be sure to go during the week or in the offseason(not summer).
5/16/05 12:36 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-05
Banff National Park
5/16/05 12:40 AM
Spankenstyne
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-May-05
5/17/05 10:03 PM
Cire

Edited: 17-May-05
Very sweet Spank. Where is it located?
5/19/05 1:51 AM
Spankenstyne

Edited: 19-May-05
Canadian Rockies, just west of Calgary.
5/31/05 9:04 PM
The Illustrated Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 31-May-05
The Blue Rige Parkway, Western North Carolina

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.