UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> How many katas do you know?

5/15/05 10:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Asian Cowboy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-05

Here is a question for all TMA blacbelts. As a blackbelt do you have all the katas (forms) memorized for all of them within your style? If so, how many do you know?
5/15/05 11:35 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-May-05
While I'm not quite a black (I'm a brown belt), I know 9.... I'll be learning about 4 more before i can test for my black belt. I can do any of them at any given time because my teacher made me memorize them. I hate katas.
5/17/05 12:07 PM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-May-05
I've learned at least 20. I can currently remember maybe 4 or 5.
They were never my favorite part of training, either. I just don't have the space or time to practice them every day, so they wind up forgotten except for a few.
5/17/05 10:19 PM
Asian Cowboy

Edited: 17-May-05
Seul-- what martial art do you train in and how long you been training? willybone-- (same question) what style do you train in and how long you been training? Also, are you a blackbelt in any particular martial art?
5/18/05 10:35 PM
Seul
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-May-05
I train kenpo karate.... been training about 2 1/2 years. We spend more time sparring and working drills with each other than doing katas, I think my instructor makes us do them just to create an opportunity to fuck with us.
5/19/05 10:51 AM
Willybone
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-May-05 02:16 PM
No black belt here.
1.5 years in TKD, 1 year in kendo, 3 years in HKD, 2 years in judo, and 1.5 years in modern arnis, in that order. I don't mind moving around and starting over.
6/1/05 11:17 PM
SMACDADDY
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01-Jun-05
25 for me. That's up to 5th Dan in my particular school of TKD. I've been in martial arts since 1981 at the age of six. I started TKD on day one and have done it ever since. I've crosstrained and continue to do so in (some more than others) judo, hapkido, bjj, wrestling, muay thai, krav maga, and a few other systems.
6/14/05 12:03 PM
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 14-Jun-05
I did know about twelve in TKD, but i've forgot them all. A waste of time IMO, but some people like them.
6/14/05 5:31 PM
ThaRageWithin

Edited: 14-Jun-05
I learned one for every scenario a streetfight or match could present, so I'm up to like 14.6 million or something. Hey, what else are they good for?
6/15/05 2:22 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 16-Jun-05 11:50 PM
A buddy of mine did TKD katas (hyungs) on the beach in Florida and a bunch of girls walked up and started talking to him (and he was a frickin' unshaved, overweight, straight-leg walkin' mofo). The only thing a Judo player can do alone is solo uchikomis. If I did those on the beach, people would probably avoid making eye contact with me. Of course, that's better than what the poor BJJ guys can do for solo training. Imagine shrimping up and down the beach. If I did that, I'd be dragged away in a straight jacket for sure.
6/16/05 10:59 PM
glock4life
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 16-Jun-05
LOL at flash, that's some funny shit about the shrimpin'!
6/17/05 9:42 PM
FlashGordon2002

Edited: 17-Jun-05
Shhhh...leave me alone...I think those chicks over there are checking me out. [Shrimps down the beach]
7/20/05 8:03 AM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
Asian Cowboy Nope. I do one kata and have for a few years. Before that, I rotated between 3 kata. I've got the movements of the others memorized, or at least I did ;-) and only stay familiar with them so I can show others. Mark
7/20/05 3:31 PM
Stickgrappler
1353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Jul-05
i used to know yang long form, not anymore, i still remember and do from time to time siu nim tao. there's a burmese monk form i do time to time (i should do daily though) which is similar to tai chi in some ways.
7/21/05 11:07 PM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Jul-05
Too many.
8/5/05 12:12 PM
Vinyasana

Edited: 05-Aug-05
Here's a good math quesion, how much many did you spend learning katas versus the amount you saved because you learned katas? Did you recieve a refund when you forgot your kata? Did you get a discount on your next kata because you forgot an earlier one? Do katas come in package deals? Buy 2 get one free? Why are katas necessary to keep learning? Why is tradition necessary to promulgate? And if it's necessary, why isn't it free? Do the founders of these traditions care if you invent your own kata for free as opposed to paying for the one that they made up centuries ago? What made them authorities? Who decided that their kata was any more valid that anything you could invent yourself? Guys, this is all in fun, but I want you to think about some of this. There are no authorities when it comes to kata, someone at sometime, made it up and sold it, it's economics. The catch is to tell you how special you had to be to learn it for free way back when, you had to be hand picked and then inducted into discipleship. Nowadays you are less special and unworthy, but I'll teach you this sacred stuff for a fee. PLEASE!!! It's a set up. Invent your own stuff, just like they did, its cheaper and its fun...and your kids will thank you for it when they need tuition for more important things, like College.
8/5/05 2:49 PM
juszczec
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05-Aug-05 02:49 PM
Vinyasana "Did you recieve a refund when you forgot your kata? Did you get a discount on your next kata because you forgot an earlier one? Do katas come in package deals? Buy 2 get one free?" LOL. This is good stuff. Seriously, I got a big laugh reading. "Why are katas necessary to keep learning?" They aren't. "Why is tradition necessary to promulgate?" It isn't. "And if it's necessary, why isn't it free?" Indeed, I wish it was. I suspect I'd have more people to train with if MA training was free. "Do the founders of these traditions care if you invent your own kata for free as opposed to paying for the one that they made up centuries ago?" Depends on who we are talking about. The people who put together what came to be known as kung fu, karate and jujutsu? They're all dead so no one knows. But I suspect, as long as whatever you did kept your ass intact, they wouldn't care. As we progressed towards the 21st century and styles became codified, I there was an increasing shift away from "does it work" to "how close does it follow the standard". Partly because of the customs of the people involved, partly out of the prevailing trends of the day, partly out of marketing and advertising and partly out of stupidity. Nowadays, to some, "does it work" doesn't matter. I don't understand that. But then again, I'm a karate guy who cross trains/ed in jujutsu and judo, believes standup is only half the solution, thinks for himself as opposed to reciting the party line, likes contact during sparring - heck, just the fact that I spar and use it as a training tool for my students makes alot of karate people not understand me. "What made them authorities?" Some, because they kicked ass and were good at it. Some were put on pedestals by their loyal followers. Some put themselves on these pedestals. "Who decided that their kata was any more valid that anything you could invent yourself?" The prevailing theory is kata started out in a less rigid form. It was a physical representation of someone's "notes" about fighting. You learned it and changed it as needed for your needs. Then people started marketing themselves based on "tradition". The closer ties you had to the originators and the more you looked like what they did then you were doing ok. Who was the judge? The people doing the marketing. Does anyone else see the problem? "There are no authorities when it comes to kata," Agreed. If you can use them, go ahead. Should you treat them like they were handed down by God? No. "someone at sometime, made it up and sold it, it's economics." Selling came second. The theory is someone made kata up because they didn't have other ways to record the what they knew or learned about fighting. "The catch is to tell you how special you had to be to learn it for free way back when, you had to be hand picked and then inducted into discipleship." I really gotta wonder how much of that was invented by Hollywood. MA history is full of rogues, tough guys and folks that just liked to hurt people. Either they faked their "worthiness" credentials or no one really gave much of a damn. "Nowadays you are less special and unworthy, but I'll teach you this sacred stuff for a fee. PLEASE!!! It's a set up." Anybody calling this stuff "sacred" oughtta be slapped. "Invent your own stuff, just like they did, its cheaper and its fun" Agreed. "...and your kids will thank you for it when they need tuition for more important things, like College." Man, if someone's spending THAT much on learning kata - I'll dust off every one I've ever done and give them to you for 1/4 of that price (figuring college tuition is about what $8000 a year. I'll teach ya all the kata I've ever known for $2000. Look at that a 75% discount!) Mark edited because I can't do math in my head
8/5/05 3:43 PM
Vinyasana

Edited: 05-Aug-05
LOL, thank you for sharing a smile and a laugh with me today, the truth is we give them the authority, so we are the authority, it doesn't matter if they could kick butt or turn water into wine, we are a light onto ourselves in this journey called Martial Arts and Life. Take care I hope you enjoyed reading my post as much as I did yours. Take care, Osu!
8/12/05 7:07 PM
SambokneeMachine

Edited: 12-Aug-05
Probably knew about 15 or so for my shotokan blackbelt, which i earned about 8 years ago. After i got into grappling, i sort of forgot about katas. I probably remember 3-4 all the way through. i am happy to have studied Shotokan (not at a McDojo), for the base it gave me in stand up, but in retrospect, the katas were pretty useless.
8/30/05 1:40 AM
Ricky T
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 30-Aug-05
I knew at least 25 TKD forms, Pal Gai, tae guk, and some ITF forms, other black belt forms. Also know Sil Lum 1-10 and a bunch of weapons. Know about half of the Hung Gar forms. Can't believe I learned all that, took me my whole childhood and I can't remember any of them now. Now I only box and do judo.
8/30/05 6:36 AM
juszczec

Edited: 30-Aug-05
Ricky T Why bemoan the fact that you forgot the kata you learned? They are drills. In elementary school, you did "drills" to learn addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Do you still do them? I think its the same thing. Too many teachers want the students to serve the drill as opposed to the drill serving the students. Mark
9/4/05 3:11 AM
Frost

Edited: 04-Sep-05
Yup.
11/8/05 4:53 PM
hitmeharder

Edited: 08-Nov-05
Katas, are for fat women and children. What are u guys thinking. Do you own Billy Banks vidoes as well?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.