UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Noam Chomsky

3/13/08 10:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jellyman
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 13-Mar-08
Actually, in a lot of ways, empire vs democracy is what the election's about. Give up Iraq, or face a revolt.
3/15/08 6:01 AM
Revolver of Reason
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Mar-08
for a interesting counter to Chomsky's political views, try applying Chomsky's ideas about political language and persuasion to his own writings.
3/15/08 3:24 PM
thesleeper

Edited: 15-Mar-08
ROR, I have often thought of that myself. I think that since Chomsky has come to the conclusions that he has, he decided that the only way to fight fire was with fire.
3/18/08 9:05 PM
Revolver of Reason

Edited: 18-Mar-08
I think it's more like people can't help doing what he describes or thinking that way. even people who are aware of the corrosive power of framing and rhetoric still use it, even if to just denounce examples of framing and rhetoric. everybody's got a position they're pushing.
3/18/08 9:55 PM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 18-Mar-08
Example please ROR
3/20/08 2:42 PM
Revolver of Reason

Edited: 20-Mar-08
ZMag is being a fucking dildo and not letting me pull down some Chomsky articles to annotate. this is what you get when a PHP site redesign fucks your website in the ass. anyway, long and short of it is that he uses persuasive language very similar in nature to what he decries in the hands of others. contrast this with someone like Nozick who started one of his works by questioning the very nature of persuasive argument and whether it and philosophy in general are compatible with libertarian principles. of course, that can be sickmaking as well.
3/20/08 7:25 PM
effertime
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-Mar-08
I've read a bunch of his books. When does he "decry" persuasive language? If i remember right, he's always being asked about the relationship between his language studies and his commentary on US foreign policy to which he always replies, "there is no relation". I'll dig through my books and try to find some quotes. But if you have one (as Bleier asks)...lets see it so we can document his hypocrisy. He's no rhetorician, but he's pretty familiar with the basics, fallacies of debate like begging the question and all that...but i've never heard him denounce it....just merely point it out when people are making retarded arguments (Like that Buckley debate when he accuses Buckley of "begging the question"...which he was).
3/21/08 2:55 AM
bleier
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-Mar-08
I'll be interested to listen to some examples.  If anything, I find him frustrating at times because he relies too much on the readers/listeners "Cartesian common sense" to draw conclusions from a presentation of like examples.  I wondering whether he will have one glorious freak-out before he passes, her certainly deserves it!
5/30/08 12:46 AM
thesleeper

Negri and Hardt Empire and Multitude.

If you like Chomsky, Foucault, Gramsci, etc. you will like these books.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.