UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Who here is a black belt?

7/18/10 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
scuffler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Started training in 1974, best I can remember.
8/7/10 6:59 PM
KOkid101

I'm a blackebelt in taekwondo and i also do brazilian jiu jitsu and MMA1
1/2/11 9:12 PM
Stubbsy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/02/11 9:12 PM
 I'm a 3rd Dan in Freestyle karate with a Wado base, a 2nd Dan in Traditional Ju jitsu, a 1 st dan in Kobudo Weaponry, and have three or four other grades under blue belt in various other martial arts. I've finally made my way to MMA and BJJ and hold a two stripe white belt after 6 months that I am very proud of :-D

1/15/11 7:12 AM
Seong gyeong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just earned my 1st dan BB in Judo after a little over a year of training; earned a blue belt in BJJ in about the same time. Also earned a green belt in Aikido during elementary school...
1/15/11 12:03 PM
Stronghold
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How can you earn a BB in Judo in a year? Seriously.
1/15/11 8:14 PM
Seong gyeong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stronghold - How can you earn a BB in Judo in a year? Seriously.

I admit that it seemed too short a time and that I'm not ready, but what made the difference I suppose is:

* Studying BJJ first.
* Training consistently.
* Competing as much as possible and doing well.

Mostly the third.
1/15/11 9:59 PM
Missing Glove Tape

^When I read the timeframe I was thinking yours was a batsugan promotion to shodan. There's typically a requirement that one knows the techniques/terms/history before promotion but if you're young and have the time to tear up the training/shiai tatami it's really not unheard of. For example, it's not uncommon for people to jump 2-3 grades in a day during the spring/fall kohaku shiai at the kodokan.
2/17/11 5:13 PM
Oxus

4th Dan BBelt in Tang Soo Do
Blue Belt in Machado BJJ
3/14/11 1:45 AM
Old Red Belt

Im a 10th Dan Grand Master of Okamiryu also known as All American Combat Karate, an eclectic style comprising of GoJuryu, Tae Kwon Do, and Jiujitsu. I have studied since age 10 and Im now 57. I teach MMA fighters now and love the fact there are few rules. I believe the Ultimate Martial Art is a combination of Striking, Kicking, and Grappling. Otherwise something is lacking. I suppose thats why I get along so well with the MMA fighters we do the same thing and cross train with anything that works.
3/19/11 1:54 AM
shen
672 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old Red Belt - Im a 10th Dan Grand Master of Okamiryu also known as All American Combat Karate, an eclectic style comprising of GoJuryu, Tae Kwon Do, and Jiujitsu. I have studied since age 10 and Im now 57. I teach MMA fighters now and love the fact there are few rules. I believe the Ultimate Martial Art is a combination of Striking, Kicking, and Grappling. Otherwise something is lacking. I suppose thats why I get along so well with the MMA fighters we do the same thing and cross train with anything that works.

Same here.
6/12/11 2:00 AM
AZ-Grappler
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2nd Degree Kodokan Judo (Nidan awarded April, 2006)

Brown Belt 4 stripes, Gracie Jiu Jitsu

Brown Belt awarded by Relson Gracie, I currently train under Pedro Sauer.
6/13/11 1:03 AM
japaneseperson

MobutuHari - 
kuriaki - Do all you karate black belts realize that a bjj blue belt can kick your asses?

It's too bad I never took video of my kenpo friend demolishing a bjj blue belt in Waianae, Hawaii. After that he went on to become a kenpo black belt himself. Another dude in my BJJ class, a brown belt though, was known to take a kenpo. A BJJ blue scoffed and tried him out. He evaded the shots, setup a roundhouse to his face. Out cold.

I also know another kenpo guy who ended a fight with a BJJ'er with one knee to his face. He posted on the shot, kneed him, out cold.

It's not about the art, it's about the individual. Problem is that certain styles don't investigate tactics to counter grappling. if the individual is smart to look past his style, then he does well, still using his style as a base.

Reality.
What people dont realize BJJ doesnt cure "glass jaw". lol.
12/22/11 1:04 AM
ICEMAN1245

What people don't realize is if you can't get the fight to the ground BJJ is no good to you the guy saying a blue belt could kick a black belt ass is a idiot
12/22/11 10:20 AM
Stronghold
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True but UFC 1 showed us what has not changed for most strikers. Taking down a kicker is usually not too hard. But Bjjers don't practice doing that much :). That's why I insist pancrase is superior but you know what they say about opinions.
12/28/11 4:43 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLACK BELT IN MILETICH FIGHTING SYSTEMS

BLACK BELT SHORIN RYU KARATE

BLACK SASH US MUAY THAI ASSOCIATION

Im workimg on my gi BJJ belt now, been grappling 18 yrs but only put gi on in late 2008
1/10/12 3:55 PM
Steven Lefebvre

Hello All,

I have been training for 37 years, I have black belts in Karate, Budo Taijutsu, and in several other arts I hold Senior rankings . Love the arts as a whole and won't stop training until I am in the grave!

Sensei Steve

www.Bujinkandojo.net
www.Ninjutsutrainingonline.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.