UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Question for Mr. Roy Harris

5/20/05 10:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
¤Unique¤
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 20-May-05

Hello Roy, Hope you are well. As you have trained with Mr. Joe Moreira extensively I think you are more than qualified to answer my question. Michael "Bolo" Jen has been talking about a "new" type of pin escape method he calls "the bench press system". This system is something Joe Moreira himself uses (according to Bolo). Are you familiar with this so called Bench Press Pin Escape System? Have you seen Joe Moreira use it? Can you please try to describe it? What makes it different from the system used by Straight Blast Gym? Thanks in advance, -Unique-
5/21/05 5:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-May-05
Unique, Someone asked a very similar question on my forum. I will post that question and my response on this forum because I think the responses are the same: ----- "Dear Mr. Harris, I am wondering if you feel Joe Moreira does anything unusual when he escapes from most pins (not kesa)? Does it seem to you that he can do an aggressive escape, often putting the opponent on their back by sitting up, which is not based on bridging, baiting/faking, or pulling guard? I've read Michael Jenn telling this story about what he calls 'the Bench- press Escape Method': "I had studied pin escapes for a while, however, one moment really put me in awe and made me really want to get good at pin escapes and specifically look into Joe Moreira's personal style. In the past, when I trained with Roy Harris, it frustrated demoralized me so much when Roy would pin me and I would have to tap from the pressure. I would refer to Roy's pin as the "chestlock". There was a day when I was a brown belt that Roy and Joe were at my school. In the evening, Joe wanted to do some training with Roy. So, he laid flat on has back and told Roy to try to pin him down. I was eager to see this because I had never seen anyone get side control on Joe when rolling. Joe let Roy sink in the pin 100% and Joe escaped in seconds. He let Roy put the pin in again and he once again escaped in second. Joe repeated this over and over. For those who have my pin escapes DVD and see Joe doing his escapes on me when I was brown belt; Joe did same thing to Roy. I could not believe that Joe would escape so easy when I had to tap from Roy's pin." Any comments on this matter would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much." Here was my response: Professor Moreira's game is built around using precise positioning of the hands, elbows, knees and feet, as well as the use of good timing and feints. All of the good practitioners I have ever met (i.e. groundfighters, kickboxers, trappers, bladesmen and stickfighters) use the same methodology (i.e. precise positioning, good timing and the use of feints). So, from that perspective, there is nothing unusual about his game. Professor Moreira's use of a bench press method of escape is nothing more than the use of good timing of a "vulnerable" technique. This method of escape is only used against opponents with higher skill levels. Good training to you, Roy Harris ----- Professor Moreira's "Bench press" method of escapes combines the precise placement of his hands with a push, an explosive bridge and a small hip movement. By placing one's hands in the positions he places them (hips, stomach or clavicle), a person is not vulnerable to an arm lock. Add to this arm placement a bridge and a "snakey move" and you're out in under one second. Of course, good timing also plays a part in this escape. However, good timing and precise positioning are what separate the phenomenal from the mediocre. Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.