UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> BJJ without upa?

5/21/05 2:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tudor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 21-May-05

Hi, Mr. Harris! I'm doing BJJ for about 1 year mostly from instructionals and some seminars (we don't have any BJJ instructor in the whole country) with some 8 - 10 guys. I have some problems with my back (called protrusion - close to herniated disk) and I'm avoiding putting to much pressure on it. And especially using upa techniques or bridging (excuse me if they are the same thing). My game evolved around this issue. I became very good at not letting my partners mount me so that I would not have to use the bridge escape (when they do, I use the other escapes). The same thing escaping from side-mount. I rarely create space by bridging. I try to escape using a lot of hip movement. Q: How bad do you think my JJ will be without bridging (cause I know it is used in a lot of techniques)? I know that guys like JJ Machado and De La Riva (not that I'm comparing myself with any of them) used their disadvantages in their advantage. Do you think at one point I will be stack with my evolution? Thanks for your time (long read)!
6/11/05 2:54 PM
tudor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11-Jun-05
ttt
6/15/05 7:42 PM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 15-Jun-05
Tudor, Your BJJ game can be developed around a small bridge. However, this will hinder many of your movements. Why? Because the bridging motion in BJJ represents almost 90% of the game at higher levels. This bridging motion is used for so many things. However, if you want to develop your game around this areas of your body, you will need to rely more on upper arm, shoulder, abdominal, abductor and adductor strength. The development of these few muscle groups will make up for a lack of mobility in your lower back. Roy Harris

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.