UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> three questions...

5/22/05 4:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LimpingLogan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 22-May-05

What it is philosophy? What is religion? How do the two relate to each other?
5/22/05 7:15 PM
Wrath of Heaven
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Etymologically, "philosophy" comes from two greek words "philein," which means "to love," and "sophia," which means "wisdom." So, one might want to say that philosophy is the "love of wisdom." However, one might also observe that philosophy is a discipline which studies other disciplines. As such, philosophy is the only discipline that studies itself. Alvin Plantinga has said, "Philosophy is just thinking really hard about stuff." Like philosophy, there is no one agreed upon definition for "religion." The etymology of religion is uncertain. I really don't think I could do much better here than a dictionary definition, as many have tried to pick out the relevant aspects that apply to all religions but apparently failed, and I will not try to do better here. The relationship between philosophy and religion I suppose is much like the relationship between philosophy and other disciplines. As I said before, philosophy is a discipline which studies other disciplines, and that applies to religion as well. I think that philosophy can study religion in that it can critically analyze a religion's set of beliefs to find out if they are coherant, or philosophy can lend support to the evidence/justification/rational acceptability of a particular faith. Philosophy and religion can also interact in that they can offer solutions to problems in other discipline. For instance, in philosophy there is the question as to the nature of numbers, sets, propositions, properties ect. - a theist may construe such entities as thoughts or concepts in the mind of God. So in this case a persons religious beliefs will give them unique solutions to philosophical problems and vice versa for philosophy potentially solving puzzling problems for a particular religious belief.
5/22/05 7:32 PM
Wrath of Heaven
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The relationship between philosophy and religion I suppose is much like the relationship between philosophy and other disciplines." Actually, I take that back. The relationship between philosophy and religion probably overlaps more so than many if not all other disciplines.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.